Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

So I'm at my wits end with my crappy Goodyear Eagle GTII's. They've got about 20k on them, and are already almost shot.

I've been shopping around, and the best rated, best valued tire I've found out there is the Hankook Ventus ST. I can get them for $170 each in a 305/50/20 size. I like the way they look, and from what I've read they do very well in the rain (important here in tropical southeast Texas) and are very quiet (which was my other concern). Also treadwear seems to be very, very good.

I currently am running a 275/55/20 size, but I want a little bigger tire. According to the tire calculator I've been using, the 305/50 is a little bit bigger and will result in 2 revolutions per mile less than my current size. Is that enough to be worried? I realize my speedo might be off a tee bit, but will it be enough to cause a problem?

Here are a couple of very good links for those tire shopping:

http://www.1010tires.com/tire.asp?tirebrand=Hankook&tiremodel=Ventus+ST+RH06&pc=1004711
Info and reviews on the Hankook tires

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp
A very handy tire calculator to compare different tire sizes

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Avons at tirerack.com

All 8 applicable tires Avons

I got some Avons for my Maxima because the Bridgestone Potenzas loved to hydroplane. The Avon M550 M/S got some glowing reviews.

It seems like the Avons have good resistance to hydroplaning, good wear, and low noise level.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Hankook Ventus ST

I have the Hankook's in a 305/45/22 on my mada and have had no problems with them. The ride is smooth and the tread is aggresive looking. I've put 2 trips (Ca to Tx, Ca to Vegas) and about 22k on them and they still have plenty of tread left. I do get them rotated/balanced religiously though, that I believe is the key to long tire life. Sounds like a good price too......

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Consider the Michelins?

I would have to hear a few testimonials from people that had driven on both Michelins and your target tire myself. I put close to 60,000 miles on a set of Michelin LTX M&S mounted on a Suburban, so I'm biased! I would probably suck it up, and pull the trigger on those Michelin Cross Terrains on "sale" at Tirerack for $214/tire, but I haven't got my 20 inch rims yet, DOH!

520 AA, and they are Michelins, they are very likely to last a while on this truck that seems to eat brakes and tires. Hey, all Beasts gotta eat :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts