hi everyone; I've been reading threads here and trolling around various tire dealer websites tonight because I gotta buy tires tomorrow. So I'd like some advise
First I'll apologize for long post - but for those who indulge me I'll explain what happened, what drives my choices, and which tires made my short list that I'd like feedback for.
Bought 07 LE 4x4 on 13August, about two weeks after that one stock conti went flat with a puncture which had plugged. Today I got a call from my wife that she had a flat. Got home to find her all dirty and the spare on - yes she knows how
. Tread slashed about 3/4 inch, local tire shop confirmed my conclusion that non repairable. Funny thing is I've been reading on here how much stock contis suck, and I've been agreeing as mine are worn poorly at only 20K. Was hoping to get more life, but now I'm thinking better to take plunge for 4 new rather than replace one with same crap. I've never had such a bad luck streak for tires.
Reason I need to decide and get them on tomorrow - cub scout camping trip this weekend. Great advise here that has helped me to a short list of 4, hoping I can get some recent feedback, good and bad for each of 4.
First my requirements/wish list:
- multi conditions - we live north of Phoenix, but one reason for 4x4 is ski trips north to Utah and Colorado. So want something reasonable on highways in high Arizona temps, but also decent in snow
- robust - I don't intend a lot of offroad, but second reason for buying 4x4 is exploring. For those that are not aware, Az is full of awesome Forest Service roads - most are decent gravel, but many have rough rocks. So I want a tire that will not throw off chips easily
- also, the puncture happened in Monsoon time, and today's tear just at the tail end of Monsoon time. During that we get a lot of debris on the roads - I bet that was reason for both. So again I want robust.
- highway - further down list, but want to keep some civility in the ride
- life - when fork over $1K, I'd like to see at least double what the crappy contis gave
- looks - I'd like to give the Mada a bit more teeth to her look - not go way over board
So now my short list - anxious to hear any pros and cons from anyone who has any of these in use:
1. Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour - first on my list only because I had these on 2000 Tundra and they were awesome. I crawled over and around sharp rocks that I was sure would leave marks, particularly on sidewalls, and never did. However, I sold the Tundra before seeing how these lasted, so I have no experience with life of these. Also Tundra was secondary local driver so never went on longer highway trips, and never north to snow
2. Michelin Cross Terrain - some have mentioned these here, and I saw them tonight at Costco - less aggressive then others here but still look capable for snow and rocks. 60K warranty sounds awesome
3. Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo - going by many great comments on CA. These look like they meet my wish for snow and rocks, and many have said great life at 40K + One problem: Discount Tires only show up to 17". Where did any of you buyers get them for our stock rims (265/70R18)?
4. BFG Off Road AT - several recommends on here
thanks to all those who have read all of this. I'll appreciate any feedback very much.