Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife had a run in with a rock which left a large chip on the bumper, can I use regular touch up paint on the bumber or does plastic require a special paint?

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The regular touchup paint should work fine.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
What about for small ding in the door where the paint was chipped? It's hardly noticeable, but want to take care of it before it rusts or anything. Is this something better handled by dealer/body shop or will touch up paint do the trick? Bare metal exposed in a 1/8th inch area.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You can buy a small bottle of touchup paint from your dealer. It has a small brush in the bottle. With a little care you can touch up the spot so it won't be easily seen.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I'm Mr. DIY'er, and have worked with touch-up paint in the past - it's tricky. I wouldn't attempt it unless it's not in a conspicuous place.
I'm anal as hell when it comes to my rides, and it would be a constant source of irritation if the repair didn't come out perfect.
Unless you've done it before, and know how to feather it into the factory finish, it would be best to leave it to a pro.
But again, that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I too am looking for touch up paint for my 05 Quest. Check out www.courtesyparts.com for the Nissan OEM touch up paints. They not only have the standard tube w/ brush, they also have a dual tip paint pen - paint on one side, clearcoat on the other. Has anyone had any experience with the pen? BTW... Courtesy parts cheapest shipping is $8 and change, even for a little paint bottle or pen. :confused:

As far as preventing the "paint blob" check out www.langka.com. My friend has had great results with this stuff. He actually used the identical rebranded Mother's California Gold Paint Chip Repair Kit, but this is hard to find these days. Its easier to order direct from Langka.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
mobil1 said:
I too am looking for touch up paint for my 05 Quest. Check out www.courtesyparts.com for the Nissan OEM touch up paints. They not only have the standard tube w/ brush, they also have a dual tip paint pen - paint on one side, clearcoat on the other. Has anyone had any experience with the pen? BTW... Courtesy parts cheapest shipping is $8 and change, even for a little paint bottle or pen. :confused:

As far as preventing the "paint blob" check out www.langka.com. My friend has had great results with this stuff. He actually used the identical rebranded Mother's California Gold Paint Chip Repair Kit, but this is hard to find these days. Its easier to order direct from Langka.
btw .. if you check the courtsey site .. the paint pens (which I plan to get) .. aren't available till September (I think) .. I even went to a local dealer, show'd them the pic and they could NOT find any records of it as being a NISSAN part.

and I forgot about the $8 min charge .. guess I'll have to combine my order w/something else ..

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
inqui-Z-tor said:
btw .. if you check the courtsey site .. the paint pens (which I plan to get) .. aren't available till September (I think) .. I even went to a local dealer, show'd them the pic and they could NOT find any records of it as being a NISSAN part.

and I forgot about the $8 min charge .. guess I'll have to combine my order w/something else ..
Yea... I ran into the same problem. I asked around my local dealers and no one has ever heard of or has a listing for the paint pen. I really don't want to pay $8 shipping either. I didn't see the Sept availablity of the pen either. Guess I need to have some patience, but there are two decent sized rock chips which are bugging the hell out of me....

·
Premium Member
1,455 Posts
A few months ago I went to the Courtesy Nissan dealership and they were out of the pens then also he said they ordered them from Canada and that customs was holding up the shipment and there fore didn't have them in stock. The guy also told me that they are the only dealership in the Country that had the touch up pens. He told me this because I said well we can get them at our local dealer and that is when he told me they were the only people who had them I found that kind of odd. but wen they are avaliable I am going to purchase the fog lights so I will just do combined shipping.

Jay

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
As I mentioned in my previous post .. my local dealer couldn't find records (NISSAN part nos#) of the pen .. but he did show me an example of something similar. I was told it was just a sample (black) .. he said it was dropped off for them to look at??

That's all he knew about it??

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
mobil1 said:
The Vette guys swear by Langka for the paint blobs. ;)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
inqui-Z-tor said:
As I mentioned in my previous post .. my local dealer couldn't find records (NISSAN part nos#) of the pen .. but he did show me an example of something similar. I was told it was just a sample (black) .. he said it was dropped off for them to look at??

That's all he knew about it??
So I did a little more asking around and found out some interesting info...

- Like Rumplecat said, Courtesy Nissan claims to be the only dealer in the US that can get a hold of these paint pens.

- The paint pens come from Canada, I believe their "supplier" is Oakville Nissan in Ontario. I contacted Oakville Nissan to order one and they say they won't ship to the US, even though their website clearly says so. I wonder if Oakville and Courtesy have some kind of agreement?

- One dealer I spoke to says that he knows about these specific paint pens and that they are NOT Nissan OEM and that only the bottle ones are, however there really shouldnt be any issue with color matching. Courtesy Nissan says they are OEM, but how do they explain the lack of a Nissan part number?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts