Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Explain this 'Big Tow' vs tow package stuff.

I read they're one and the same, yet you can add extra options? What does my 04 LE come with? Do I have the auto-leveling suspension? Class III hitch receiver which uses the same Class IV tongue correct?

Part of the problem is that the dealer forgot to give me my owners manual when I picked it up last week and I'm waiting for them to ship me one.

I'm looking to pull an RV. Aiming for a lightweight type - 6000 GVWR, probably 24-27 feet long at most, using Equalizer hitch/prodigy set-up. I've hauled many a horse rig, but no RVs. I just want to be sure that the LE factory tow package includes this auto-leveling suspension.

Does the package also come with a decent tranny cooler? Anyone install an aftermarket one? These were super popular in the horse trailer pulling world.....

TIA

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
sptddog said:

I read they're one and the same, yet you can add extra options? What does my 04 LE come with? Do I have the auto-leveling suspension? Class III hitch receiver which uses the same Class IV tongue correct?

Part of the problem is that the dealer forgot to give me my owners manual when I picked it up last week and I'm waiting for them to ship me one.

I'm looking to pull an RV. Aiming for a lightweight type - 6000 GVWR, probably 24-27 feet long at most, using Equalizer hitch/prodigy set-up. I've hauled many a horse rig, but no RVs. I just want to be sure that the LE factory tow package includes this auto-leveling suspension.

Does the package also come with a decent tranny cooler? Anyone install an aftermarket one? These were super popular in the horse trailer pulling world.....

TIA
The LE's come standard with the Tow Package. This does include the tranny cooler and the air leveling suspension and extra tranny temp gague in the instrument cluster. And with the package the tow rating is boosted up to 9,100 LBS. So you should be fine the the RV. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Still unanswered...

I think sptddog's question was more about the reference to "BIG TOW" and if this was truly different than the basic Tow package for the Armada...

I too don't know where the "Big Tow" reference came from and would love to have someone explain that and if there really is a difference.

I have the SE with the Nissan tow package and it includes all the items you've listed (9100lb capacity, Auto leveling rear, tranny cooler, tranny temp guage, heavy duty battery, pre-wired for trailer brake, etc...)

Is there a different package available (aka BIG TOW)?? Or are we just using different titles for the same thing?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Big Tow = tow package
Nissan buzz word = normal description

And if your new truck came with a hitch on it from Nissan you have the Big Tow package - AKA tow package.

Your other clue is if you have the transmission temperature gauge in you gage cluster on your dash, you have the "Big Tow" package.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
sptddog said:

TIA
spttdog - see my sig for what we tow with our Armada. Does a great job, we've taken ours through the Rockies and the Sierras, pulls excellent up all of the hills. We're using the Equal-i-zer brand hitch with a Prodigy brake controller. Make sure your 04 has had the brake fix done; it's no fun coming down a steep hill with your trailer behind, and the brakes start juddering like mad.

Keith

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I agree with jcvader99 - that's really what my misunderstanding was I guess. I def have the tow package then - the gauge is there as is the hitch. Sweet.

Keith, Do you might the length at all with it being a bumper pull? I've only towed that length with a 5th wheel - and that handles so differently. What I always hated about the bumper pulls was that rocking feeling over freeway bumps - I think the Equalizer should take care of that though - plus, there's nothing 'alive' in an RV that moves and shakes it's head, which only adds to the movement.

Appreciate the input - thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
sptddog said:
Thanks! I agree with jcvader99 - that's really what my misunderstanding was I guess. I def have the tow package then - the gauge is there as is the hitch. Sweet.

Keith, Do you might the length at all with it being a bumper pull? I've only towed that length with a 5th wheel - and that handles so differently. What I always hated about the bumper pulls was that rocking feeling over freeway bumps - I think the Equalizer should take care of that though - plus, there's nothing 'alive' in an RV that moves and shakes it's head, which only adds to the movement.

Appreciate the input - thanks!
You definitely know it is back there, but the only time I get real bad feedback is along over the expansion joints on some of the concrete freeways here in SoCal. The rest of the time, it handles it real good. I'm very happy with the Equal-i-zer, easy to set up, and real easy to hook and unhook. We've had no sway to speak of, you can feel it when the semis go by you at 80+mph, but it pulls both the tow vehicle and the trailer as one unit, not separately. I don't think I'd want to tow much more than around 28 feet or so with an Armada, and I definitely wouldn't go beyond 7000 #'s or so (around 80% of the tow rating).

Hope this helps. Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.