Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
187 Posts
patrick said:
Hi Guys, Do you use the tow mode and how does it work. I never used mine so I'm wonderind If I should when pulling a 2500 lbs trailer.
Thanks
Patrick
You don't have to for 2500lbs, I can't remember what the manual says, but I know it is higher than 2500lbs in order to use it.

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
It will raise shift points when you are pulling a heavy load. You don't need it for 2500 pounds; if you use it you probably won't see any difference with that light load.

· Premium Member
258 Posts
Although I'm not towing, I found the tow mode useful in going through the mountain passes over the Cascades and south through Oregon. It prevents the truck from hunting for a gear on an incline and it provides some degree of engine braking on the way down by not always shifting up to overdrive.

Using it while towing (regardless of load) should make the trip a little smoother.

· Premium Member
603 Posts
Armadaof1 said:
Although I'm not towing, I found the tow mode useful in going through the mountain passes over the Cascades and south through Oregon. It prevents the truck from hunting for a gear on an incline and it provides some degree of engine braking on the way down by not always shifting up to overdrive.

Using it while towing (regardless of load) should make the trip a little smoother.

hhmm... may be I should try it when I drive to Lake Tahoe. On my last trip, I just switched to D4 instead of using the Tow Mode. D4 helps is a way that the truck stops hunting for gears and provides some downhill braking.

· Premium Member
258 Posts
What I've done is use 4 around town when I'm not likely to exceed 45mph - keeps the truck from looking for overdrive.

Then I use D in tow mode in mountainous highway driving where I'm probably running 55+ and don't want frequent shifting.

Seems simple, but try and explain it to the wife when she's driving. :)

· Premium Member
359 Posts
Tow mode also activates the airbags in the suspension. I forgot about the shift points. I turn on tow mode when loaded up with gear (like ski gear, camping gear etc.) even if I am not towing. This stiffens the rear suspension and lessens the wallowing effect when going over abrupt changes in the road (like bad sections of freeway, or other bumps that give you the wallowing Caddy feeling). Also, there are a few roads where they "wallow" you around so much (West Lake Sammamish Parkway, if you live around here) that tow mode stiffens the ride and lessens the wallow.

· Premium Member
895 Posts
jyruiz said:
My airbags activate wether I have the Mada in tow mode or not.
Same here.

· Premium Member
5,214 Posts
Cillyone said:
Same here.
Correct. The auto level feauture is active all the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.