Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2004 Keystone Laredo 25+4 RL TT the other day and now am looking for some towing mirror options. What are you using? I have an 06 LE with the folding LED mirrors so I don't want to give those up for Titan Tow mirrors. Just looking for something like CIPA makes for Ford's and GM's. Or anything else that works well.

TIA.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
I thought they made '06 tow mirrors. Did you check with the dealer? :confused:

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Jtappan, I have a set of brand new still in the box tow mirrors (power, heated) for the Mada. Want to trade those LED mirrors for the tow mirrors and some cash? Let me know. I know that you said that you don't want to get rid of them, but it's worth a try.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
McKesh mirrors

Guys, I dont think he want s to give up his folding/LED mirrors. Avoid going with the "slip-on" type because they are absolute junk. The best add-on tow mirrors by far are ones made by Mckesh. Most experienced RV outlets will know exactly what you mean. Here is a link for some pictures so you know what they look like, and that's about an average price. They won't scratch the paint if the contact surface (body) is free of grit/dirt and they fit great and are really well made/last forever. Oh yeah, once you get them adjusted and hung the first time they remount super easy after that.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
!arni! - Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll keep my folding LED's.

Cillyone - Boy those scare me. I know you say they won't hurt the paint, but I was hoping for something that didn't touch the door at all. They look like they would really make backing up easier, however. I may have to go and look at them at Camping World.

No other options that anyone is aware of?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
This is the third vehicle I have had them on with no damage. They certainally are a whole lot safer than slip-ons, they offer excellent visibility. How much damage to the paint will occur when the tow driver changes lanes and hits something that he did not see? All you are going to see at camping world are slip-ons and these. Without the bracing to the door they are not stiff enough to resist wind and vibration. The only time they are dangerous to your paint is the first time they are installed and adjusted, it is helpful to have a second set of hands during adjustment. I have been towing on a regular basis for 20 years and as far as I know there are McKesh and slip/rubber band-on temporary mirrors and thats all I know of.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
They don't make folding big tows with blinkers? :damn:
That stinks. Never looked into it but I thought they would have upgraded those also. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
!arni! said:
Jtappan, I have a set of brand new still in the box tow mirrors (power, heated) for the Mada. Want to trade those LED mirrors for the tow mirrors and some cash? Let me know.

please check your pm's i am interested in trying to work a trade. I have a set of regular power mirrors with heat but no memory and I'm looking for the big tow mirrors with heat and no memory.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I had Cipa universal mirrors for my Titan and they were useless. They slid down all the time and the mirror was so small, I couldn't see both lanes when changing lanes. For changing lanes, I had to use the trucks standard mirrors.

I have the Pathfinder now and elected not to use the Cipas because the Pathfinder's mirrors are painted opposed to the black plastic of the Titans. The Cipas clips are racheted on to the mirror so they will definitely scratch the paint.

I was never a fan of any type of mirror that adheres to the paint and why I never considered the McKesh. I just don't see how a strap directly on the paint won't rub and scratch it. Then the clips go into the window track which really concerns me about damage, and then the bottom goes the door bottom lip. I really can't see how this arrangement doesn't damage the door and paint. Also, if somone bumps into this mirror as it could easily be done as it stretch the entire door, it could easily put dents in the door.

The only other mirrors are the fender mirrors which have the same risk to the paint, but they seem to offer less damage to the vehicle if clipped.

Since I have a Pop Up, I can see over the camper and see other behind me unless they're tailgating. I chose to just say screw the mirrors since I can legally see behind my camper when looking over it with the side mirrors.

I really don't see any good options except for factory mirrors which the Nissan's Titan mirrors were $400 then $85 for installation for a total of $485. Quite a rip off when the entire tow package was cheaper.

If I need some mirrors down the road for a Travel Trailer, I'll get these Cipas or something similar since they do seem less destructive than the McKesh door mount mirrors.

My camper and tow vehicle

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Cillyone said:
Guys, I dont think he want s to give up his folding/LED mirrors. Avoid going with the "slip-on" type because they are absolute junk. The best add-on tow mirrors by far are ones made by Mckesh. Most experienced RV outlets will know exactly what you mean. Here is a link for some pictures so you know what they look like, and that's about an average price. They won't scratch the paint if the contact surface (body) is free of grit/dirt and they fit great and are really well made/last forever. Oh yeah, once you get them adjusted and hung the first time they remount super easy after that.

http://www.hensleymfg.com/mckeshmirrors.html
Why wouldn't you just put tow mirrors on your truck?

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
He does not want to give up his folding/led mirrors, he would have to remove them to install the tow mirrors. I myself like the standard mirrors and am not in a hurry to drop nearly 4 bills buying the OEM tow mirrors when the McKesh mirrors work great for one quarter the price and can be transferred to my next tow vehicle.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Cillyone said:
He does not want to give up his folding/led mirrors, he would have to remove them to install the tow mirrors. I myself like the standard mirrors and am not in a hurry to drop nearly 4 bills buying the OEM tow mirrors when the McKesh mirrors work great for one quarter the price and can be transferred to my next tow vehicle.
I was wondering about you, I wouldn't even comment on someone who's worrying about loosing bling-bling mirrors.

Your worried about dropping $400 on a vehicle that you dropped 35k on? That's not right. Put the good mirrors on her, and make her respectable.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
wwjdwithca said:
I was wondering about you, I wouldn't even comment on someone who's worrying about loosing bling-bling mirrors.

Your worried about dropping $400 on a vehicle that you dropped 35k on? That's not right. Put the good mirrors on her, and make her respectable.
Unfortunately the Armada might be going away soon, I am pretty sure I am moving up to a stronger tow vehicle, a Cummins turbo diesel. I'd say the "D" word, but I am not buying it for that, if anything, in spite of it. Don't get me wrong, I like the Armada but I feel it is slightly over matched to pull my trailer in the mountains loaded and I have to be careful not to load my toybox over the Armada's weight capacity. The trailer is rated to weigh as much as 10,000 lbs (GVWR) and I would rather have too much tow vehicle than barely enough.

See, I will still have my mirrors to use on what will be the 4th truck they have been on. You might not like the looks of them but I don't mind and they work great, I am more of a "function" kind of guy and don't worry about looks nearly as much. I will truly miss the Armada but I cannot justify feeding two tow vehicles. One of my dearest, oldest buddies is going to sell me his pampered 2001 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab 6spd HO Cummins with <20k miles on it so he can move to a 1 ton. I will have over 13k lbs in capacity then. Sorry I made a short story long.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Cillyone said:
Unfortunately the Armada might be going away soon, I am pretty sure I am moving up to a stronger tow vehicle, a Cummins turbo diesel. I'd say the "D" word, but I am not buying it for that, if anything, in spite of it. Don't get me wrong, I like the Armada but I feel it is slightly over matched to pull my trailer in the mountains loaded and I have to be careful not to load my toybox over the Armada's weight capacity. The trailer is rated to weigh as much as 10,000 lbs (GVWR) and I would rather have too much tow vehicle than barely enough.

See, I will still have my mirrors to use on what will be the 4th truck they have been on. You might not like the looks of them but I don't mind and they work great, I am more of a "function" kind of guy and don't worry about looks nearly as much. I will truly miss the Armada but I cannot justify feeding two tow vehicles. One of my dearest, oldest buddies is going to sell me his pampered 2001 3/4 ton 4wd quad cab 6spd HO Cummins with <20k miles on it so he can move to a 1 ton. I will have over 13k lbs in capacity then. Sorry I made a short story long.

I understand your position on upgrading. I tow in the mts and only have a 3000lb boat, and that still makes a gasoline V-8 work hard when I want to climb at 65 mph. With a larger load 65's not even in the equation. Gasoline V-8's can only handle so much.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
It is not just the power, in fact the main issue I have is just plain wear and tear on the whole drive-line in general. Both my sons like dirt biking as much or more than me and both (especially the oldest) race bicycles (BMX, Downhill...etc) and we will be using our trailer more and more for attending races, so now I feel the need for a more, ahh... industrial approach to our activities. The oldest son is possibly going to try for a national BMX championship this year if things work out the way we hope ($ponser). The diesel should handle the weight better and hopefully return good (better) fuel mileage. My friend got a documented +16mpg with a small cab-over slide-in truck camper in the bed driving over the Rockies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.