Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. Brand new to the forum. Looking at 2020 Armada Platinum and have no idea what equipment I need to pull a 7000 lb rv.

Can anyone point me to a link for brake controller, harness, tran cooler, etc.? The Platinum apparently has no towing package. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Platinum has towing package built-in I believe and you can tow up to 8500lbs. You do need to install a brake controller though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yup. Everything is built / included except for the brake controller. For that, follow the obd2 wire under the dash about 6" to a taped white plug along that harness. Plug in your adapter then controller.

I just towed an open car trailer loaded today loaded to about 5k. Easy peasy. The reviews about a bit of sway is the hydraulic suspension doing its thing. It takes a split second after a steering input to stiffen up and it feels like a wobble but it's not.

Here is a youtube video of it towing 8k over the Ike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I suggest you monitor your transmission Temp. when towing,when pulling grades or stop & go traffic. I use an App from OBD fusion on my phone. Search for OBD fusion on this site or go to their web site.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I suggest you monitor your transmission Temp. when towing,when pulling grades or stop & go traffic. I use an App from OBD fusion on my phone. Search for OBD fusion on this site or go to their web site.
Since we have transmission heaters and coolers what is the range to look for?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I found average low Temp. when towing to be 187 degrees. The high Temp I become concerned is 210 degrees when towing on 6 percent grades. A Temp above 220/225 degrees will reduce the life of some parts. If ever a high Temp is continued for many miles I would have the Tranny oil replaced as soon as possible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I found average low Temp. when towing to be 187 degrees. The high Temp I become concerned is 210 degrees when towing on 6 percent grades. A Temp above 220/225 degrees will reduce the life of some parts. If ever a high Temp is continued for many miles I would have the Tranny oil replaced as soon as possible.
Per the service Manual,
• When A/T fluid temperature rises [to approximately 100°C
(212°F)], bypass valve closes and allows ATF to flow into cooler
core. ATF flowing into cooler core is cooled by air stream caused
by vehicle travel and returned to transmission.

The cooler doesn't even open until 212°F, meaning 212 should be no problem. I expect it to get there quick but be very difficult to go above 225°F. I'll make a thread on my annual Nebraska trip where I end up towing over the Ike gauntlet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Per the service Manual,
• When A/T fluid temperature rises [to approximately 100°C
(212°F)], bypass valve closes and allows ATF to flow into cooler
core. ATF flowing into cooler core is cooled by air stream caused
by vehicle travel and returned to transmission.

The cooler doesn't even open until 212°F, meaning 212 should be no problem. I expect it to get there quick but be very difficult to go above 225°F. I'll make a thread on my annual Nebraska trip where I end up towing over the Ike gauntlet.
Look forward to your information on the trip. How are you monitoring the Temp while towing ?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Yup. Everything is built / included except for the brake controller. For that, follow the obd2 wire under the dash about 6" to a taped white plug along that harness. Plug in your adapter then controller.

I just towed an open car trailer loaded today loaded to about 5k. Easy peasy. The reviews about a bit of sway is the hydraulic suspension doing its thing. It takes a split second after a steering input to stiffen up and it feels like a wobble but it's not.

Here is a youtube video of it towing 8k over the Ike.
Note these guys were not using a weight distribution hitch, yet they complain about the rear end wiggling a bit when the vehicle goes over a bum. What they did there was pretty irresponsible.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What is the PID for that? I also have OBD fusion but I dont see it listed, nor is it an option under enhanced pids.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah, they ended up being under "Network G". ATF temp, not transmission temp for others reading this thread. Have you gotten engine oil temps working?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts