Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Armada LE and I am considering buying an open 2-car aluminum trailer. It weighs 2500lbs. If I put 2 cars on it each weighing 3000lbs, my total is 8500lbs. I know the Armada is rated to tow this kind of weight, but is this going to be okay for real world?

Another question, same situation with 2 cars, but with an an enclosed (fiberglass) trailer. Total weight will be right at 9000lbs. Doable?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
jechambe said:
I have an Armada LE and I am considering buying an open 2-car aluminum trailer. It weighs 2500lbs. If I put 2 cars on it each weighing 3000lbs, my total is 8500lbs. I know the Armada is rated to tow this kind of weight, but is this going to be okay for real world?

Another question, same situation with 2 cars, but with an an enclosed (fiberglass) trailer. Total weight will be right at 9000lbs. Doable?

Thanks,

Jim
Yes, but I wouldn't go cross country. You have the leveling air bags, trans cooler and temp gauge, towing gearing, etc. Get the braking module, class IV hitch, and you will be fine. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
baseballfanz said:
You have the big tow package? If not than no.
He has an LE. Big tow is standard. ;)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I tow 8,000 lbs. 24 ft. equipment trailer hauling a Kubota Diesel Tractor with Bush Hog or multi-gang disk. All tractor tires are filled with water for stability and a bunch of weights are hanging off the front of the tractor.

The trailer is a HD double axle (rated for 8,000 per axle - 16,000 total) with brakes on both axles and is controlled by a Prodigy controller.

I tow without any problem, but don't tow very far. It's only about thirty miles at the most each way.

But from what you are saying my main concern will be weight on your rear tires (tongue weight and weight inside your vehicle) and total gross weight. If you have passengers and a load in the back of your SUV, you are probably go over the safe limit.

My second concern is whether you will have any rear suspension travel left. With my load, the air shocks level it out, but there is just about nothing left.

So, I would have doubts about a cross-country run, and would be worried if I had passengers and gear on board.

It will probably do the job, but you would want to hopefully run on relatively flat terrain, stop frequently and not drive much over about 60 mph.

Of course, everybody has a different philosophy about towing. I see little midsize pickups towing incredible loads without any obvious problem, but I don't know how long they can do that without tearing up.

But if watch your gauges, keep everything in normal operating temperatures, don't overload your tires and don't get in a hurry you can get by.

I'm sure there are those here who would disagree with me, but you are right at the border of needing a 3/4 ton diesel if you are going to pull that load regularly at highway speeds.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Taking it to the limit

If you tow a lot on anything other than flat ground, it will take its toll on your truck. I tow #8k+ ~1500 miles a year and I am considering a 3/4t truck. The Armada has good power but I worry that the rest of the driveline is being pushed too hard. Personally in my opinion I would not tow that much with any half ton, I think the max ratings are for ideal circumstances; no steep hills, no wind, no extreme heat, I believe in having some "cushion" (too much truck).

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Cillyone said:
If you tow a lot on anything other than flat ground, it will take its toll on your truck. I tow #8k+ ~1500 miles a year and I am considering a 3/4t truck. The Armada has good power but I worry that the rest of the driveline is being pushed too hard. Personally in my opinion I would not tow that much with any half ton, I think the max ratings are for ideal circumstances; no steep hills, no wind, no extreme heat, I believe in having some "cushion" (too much truck).
I totally agree with that. I pegged the largest boat I may upgrade to at 5500 lbs max, and figured that w/big tow that would leave some reserve and I wouldn't be straining whilst towing. That was one of the several reasons why the Armada won out over the Sequioa at 6500 lb rating. Towing at the limit sucks. Towing two cars you might even want a dually 5th wheel. That would be a nice setup, then you could go with an enclosed trailer....

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I have towed extensively with a heavy steel open trailer and one car, without a problem, my current trailer and new Armada does exellent pulling over the grapevine, does not even drop into first gear...

You should be fine, although the brake controller is a must. If you dont buy the aluminum 2 car trailer let me know I am in the market for one.

R

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for replies

This would be for towing around 500 mile radius from southern california. not cross country. It will be to tow my track car and a friends. This sounds like too much strain for my comfort. thinking about just an enclosed lightweight unit for just my car. he can get his own armada :D

tell me more about the brake controller. where to buy and how much do they run? is it a diy install or do I need a pro to do it?

thanks again!

-Jim

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
jechambe said:
tell me more about the brake controller.
-Jim
If you have very basic skills with wiring this should be no problem installing. Your armada should have come with the stock wiring harness for a brake controller. The brake controller you buy should have it's own wiring harness. You need to connect the two together. Soldering and shrink wrap would be the best way, but crimp connectors will work too. The most important thing to note is DO NOT FOLLOW THE COLOR CODES OF THE WIRES. They are often different! Follow the labels on both of the wiring harnesses and double check. A crossed wire can quickly fry your new brake control.
As far a type of controller: The Tekonsha "Prodigy" is the best I have found.
http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html
Do a search online and you should be able to find it for around $100
I use it at work to tow all kind of trailers (heavy and light, diffent #'s of axles). Very easy to use and works very well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Prodigy !!!

What lockecard said.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info

I know my way around wiring harnesses. 4 years of Electrical Engineering school was good for something. Thanks.
Jim

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
jechambe said:
I know my way around wiring harnesses. 4 years of Electrical Engineering school was good for something. Thanks.
Jim
Then I guess if you can turn a screw driver to mount the bracket your GOLDEN! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts