Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We bought our 2004 QX56 to give our go at getting a travel trailer and deciding if we like it or not. I've already replaced the rear air shocks with new ones, I was just wondering what everyone else would recommend doing before I tow this summer (assuming there are places to tow to).

My current list:
1. Bilsteins up front
2. Some sort of Brake Controller (recommendtions?)
3. Standard oil changes/coolant flush, brake fluid flush, etc.

Should I look into a transmission cooler? Anything else I should think about?

What we have booked for now is a Grand Design 2400BH, which should be well within the constraints of the QX, but I think ideally we'd like to go to a 2800BH. I fear it's too long, but everyone I know assures me that with a good sway hitch I'll be fine. Weight is about 1K below the rating, and I doubt we will ever take water with us; not the type of camping we'll be doing.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
Both of those are really nice trailers. My wife and I are looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel, and Grand Design is at the top of our list right now. For towing with an Armada / QX, I'd stay with the 2400. The 2800 is quite a bit longer and heavier, and while the QX would probably do fine, you are pretty close to the limits with that. Remember your max tow rating assumes an empty vehicle. Extra people, supplies, cargo, etc all go against your tow rating. Example, I have a 26' TT that weighs about 5500 lbs loaded. I'm right at the limit for GVWR for my Armada, even though I'm way under my max tow rating.

As far as equipment, don't skimp. Spend the money to get a high quality brake controller. Lot's of recommendations on this forum and others on what to get. I've been using a Tekonsha Prodigy since 2000, and have been very happy with it. I'm certain Tekonsha has come up with many more variations since I bought mine. As far as a hitch, I highly recommend you buy a hitch that incorporates both weight distribution and anti-sway into the design. Do NOT use a clip-on friction anti-sway device, particularly with something as long and heavy as the 2800. Again, sharing what I'm using and been happy with....I have the "Equal-i-zer" brand, that has both WD and anti-sway incorporated. There are other brands on the market, and again, take a look through this forum and other RV forums for recommendations. Don't go with the lowest cost brand, you'll regret it later. I spent about $500 on my hitch set-up, which was only $200 or so more than a less capable, add-on friction anti-sway device.

Lots of folks on this forum that use their Armada / QX to tow, so ask your questions, do some searching here and elsewhere, and most important, let us know what you get, and then share your experiences with the rest of us.

Keith

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both of those are really nice trailers. My wife and I are looking at upgrading to a 5th wheel, and Grand Design is at the top of our list right now. For towing with an Armada / QX, I'd stay with the 2400. The 2800 is quite a bit longer and heavier, and while the QX would probably do fine, you are pretty close to the limits with that. Remember your max tow rating assumes an empty vehicle. Extra people, supplies, cargo, etc all go against your tow rating. Example, I have a 26' TT that weighs about 5500 lbs loaded. I'm right at the limit for GVWR for my Armada, even though I'm way under my max tow rating.

As far as equipment, don't skimp. Spend the money to get a high quality brake controller. Lot's of recommendations on this forum and others on what to get. I've been using a Tekonsha Prodigy since 2000, and have been very happy with it. I'm certain Tekonsha has come up with many more variations since I bought mine. As far as a hitch, I highly recommend you buy a hitch that incorporates both weight distribution and anti-sway into the design. Do NOT use a clip-on friction anti-sway device, particularly with something as long and heavy as the 2800. Again, sharing what I'm using and been happy with....I have the "Equal-i-zer" brand, that has both WD and anti-sway incorporated. There are other brands on the market, and again, take a look through this forum and other RV forums for recommendations. Don't go with the lowest cost brand, you'll regret it later. I spent about $500 on my hitch set-up, which was only $200 or so more than a less capable, add-on friction anti-sway device.

Lots of folks on this forum that use their Armada / QX to tow, so ask your questions, do some searching here and elsewhere, and most important, let us know what you get, and then share your experiences with the rest of us.

Keith
Awesome, thanks for the advice. The length is what worries me the most about the 2800, honestly the sway is what I'm scared of. The difference between a 1/2 ton truck and the QX is mostly wheelbase.

I will look into the Tekonsha, I don't wanna skimp on a controller, and I am aware I'm going to need to spend some money for a hitch. I was kind of budgeting like $800-$1000, so I think we're in good shape there.

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to towing, I believe if I understand it correctly, the tongue weight is what adds to the gross weight of the tow vehicle? If I have my specs right, the weight of the QX is like 5600lbs, the max weight it can hold is 7300ish? Tongue weight of the 2800 is around 600lbs or so, which would mean I've got about 1000lbs of capacity left in the vehicle itself? Or do I not understand this that well? Sorry, I'm really trying to figure out how all these numbers fit together, I'm pretty good, but I'm also visual, so it's taking me time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts