Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the towing report I promised:

Towing with 5600lbs. does slow the truck down a little bit, and I was getting 8.5 - 9.5 mpg running at 70-75mph. The trailer stayed stable except when passing semi's. Even then, it was still easy to control. Going up long hills the truck would shift into 3rd and occasionally 2nd.

A couple of items I still need to work on are the brake setup and the height adjustment. I have still not found the sweet spot for the brake controller. It either grabs or doesn't apply enough. I got adjusted better on the return trip but I am still not happy with it.

The height adjustment with the equalizer hitch seems to work best by hooking the trailer to the hitch w/out the bars. Let the truck's air bags level the suspension, then snap the bars into place. The truck and trailer stayed level and did not sway or bounce excessively.

I bought a set of clip-on mirrors (the type with 2 adjustable mirrors). The vibration from the mirrors made them almost useless. The outer mirror (convex) stayed solid, but was so small I could barely see anything. I could see more with the inner mirror, however it shook so bad it blurred the image. I am going to try to insulate the inner mirror before the next trip. If that doesn't work, I will have to step up to the type that straps to the door or OEM tow mirrors.

While I am posting, I finished 4th on Sat. and 2nd on Sun. Next stop, Mid-Ohio (Lexington, OH) in 2 weeks.

BTW, this is my 50th post. I'm a SHIFT_Newbie. Woo hoo! :2cool:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.