Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just picked up my smoke LE a week ago. :) I was wondering what the load rating is on the big tires. I am considering towing my toy hauler and putting some 22's on the mada. My trailer is about 8000K loaded. Good Idea or not.
Any opinions would be great.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Probably not. Check the load rating for the tires you are interested in. You probably need more sidewall than you can get with 22s for towing that much.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Welcome Mad Mata 1. Great to have you here. Hope you stay around and become a part of the community. Are your present tires and rims 17's or 18's?

I tow an 8,000 trailer from time to time. I tend to agree with 92Tripleblack. I have the 17's Off Road package and Big Tow. It does nicely. You need to look at the sidewall info very carefully on the tires you are considering. The maximum load on the 17's is 2835 lbs. per tire at maximum inflation rate of 35 psi. While that sounds like a lot, it is what I would call "adequate" for this kind of heavy towing. If the tires you are looking at have a much lower rating than that, I'd be skeptical.

And the 70 series aspect ratio of the 17's gives you a lot of sidewall flex, which is going to become important when you add what is probably going to be 800 lbs or more of downward weight at the hitch. Do you have the Big Tow package with the self-leveling air bags around the rear shocks? If not, that is one more reason to think twice about towing with low aspect ratio tires and a lower load capacity on those tires.

Have you ever bent a rim when hitting a curb, railroad tracks or similar thing with low aspect ratio tires? Very easy to do. I've been there with eurosports cars. It's expensive to fix and can really ruin things if you are out on the road. I hate to think how much easier it would be to bend those new expensive 22's when that much tongue weight is added.

How much weight are you going to have inside your Armada? How many passengers. You have to add that weight plus the weight of any cargo you will be carrying in the back.

A suggestion: If you like the dubs and want that look, go for it. But either keep your present tires and rims for towing, or consider getting some 17 inch rims and another set of load rated tires suitable for the load you will be towing. It's not much of a deal to switch back and forth if you have a place to keep the other set.

You may be fine with an 8,000 lb. trailer and 22's, but I would not want to be behind you or next to you. Just one opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mine are rated 3195 per tire, LT with load rating E. I thought about this when selecting the tires.
Conversely, Pirelli Scorpion Asimmetrico 275/45/22 are rated for 2469 and they varied on this tire between 1800 and 2600 load rating for 22 inch rims.
Basically anything you do to get an SUV to be more "car" like will hurt the "truck" like capabilities: Towing, off road, etc. This includes lowering, larger rims, lower profile tires, etc.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the great info. I have the 18's from the factory. I am not sure if I have the load levers or not. What would I look for to find out. I guess I could switch the tires back and forth but that kind of sucks...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mad Mada 1 said:
Thanks for the great info. I have the 18's from the factory. I am not sure if I have the load levers or not. What would I look for to find out. I guess I could switch the tires back and forth but that kind of sucks...
Stock 18" have a 2600 pound rating.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Why don't you roll with some 20's and larger tires? Worked for me- I can still tow my cargo trailer safely, and I've got some cool wheels. :) 22's probably look a little better, but with the 20's at least everything's functional as it should be.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
adjmcloon said:
Why don't you roll with some 20's and larger tires? Worked for me- I can still tow my cargo trailer safely, and I've got some cool wheels. :) 22's probably look a little better, but with the 20's at least everything's functional as it should be.
Thats also a very good idea too. So you think the 20's would be safer to tow with.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I just got the 22's & will be towing a skiboat. I didn't try it yet but I checked around & haven't found any bad experiences documented. I can see the fact that the 45 series tires have less flex & so when the rear auto-level suspension stiffens up, it could be bad scene - or not. Something to consider. I'll let you know what happens...

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Mine are 20s and as I posted have a 3200 load rating/tire. I don't like the look of wheels larger than 20s anyway.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
I tow a 6500# cargo trailer with 20's all day with no issues at all. I'd say you'd be ok. Plus 20's are cheaper than 22's. :)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
There are photos of 24's in the new member's section. To fit properly they have to go down to a 35 aspect ratio. You would be at what, 40? There is very little sidewall. And I would think that tire pressure would have to be very high at the rated load capacity, even if you could find 22's with enough load rating to tow.

Now, some common sense advice which you may either take or leave: Not to burst anyone's balloon either, but towing 5,000 or even 6,500 lbs. is not the same as 8,000 lbs. With that load on my Armada, the rear bumper just starts to sag. Not much, but maybe an inch. That means that the air bags have fully lifted as much as they can and that the suspension is very, very stiff.

Don't get me wrong, your truck will tow the 8,000 lb. load quite easily regardless of the tires and wheels. You have the engine and tranny to pull it down the road almost effortlessly. If you are experienced in towing trailers in this weight range, I apologize in advance, but am only trying to help. To tow safely, you gotta have the right tires and some other equipment. Be sure to have very good progressive electric trailer brakes with a good controller and a weight distribution hitch. 8,000 lbs. is getting into 3/4 ton truck territory.

And, if I may suggest so, please read the "sticky" thread on towing. If you have not previously towed with your truck, also please, please, do the proper break in procedure for the rear differential or it will turn to toast. You gotta let it go through controlled heat up, cool down cycles to heat treat the gears at full contact mesh. They are not at full mesh when you are running with no load or a light trailer. Once that is done, though, you should not have to worry about the differential. I think we covered that process in the "sticky" thread. Do watch your transmission temperature gauge and DO NOT TOW IN FIFTH GEAR. Set in in fourth and leave it there when a trailer is out back.

Are you going to be doing any of your towing at altitude or climbing or descending hills? That would also be a factor and will effect weight transfer to other axles when you are running flat and level, and will also effect braking.

Many people suggest that when the trailer weighs over 20% or more than the truck, you should probably not exceed 60 mph, even though you can run much faster, because if something happens out there on the highway you get into a tail wagging the dog situation and things can get really, really ugly if you have to make an emergency maneuver or have a flat tire or things like that. I don't know if that is true, because I limit towing that trailer with that load to 60 mph, and that is on level ground.

Maybe I'm just too conservative. I am 55 years old and have been towing loads this heavy or heavier for quite a while. My "other truck" is a 7.3 Ford F-250 Super Duty diesel. It usually tows that trailer, (and some heavier ones) but sometimes I need the 'Mada to move that one.

Have fun. Enjoy your new truck and your new "toy" hauler. Play safe.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the help. I have been towing my toys for about 10+ years now so I am pretty experienced. I am 32 years old and have 2 kids. Saftey is my main concern thats why I am writing this. I do want some nice looking wheels too. I also have a 3/4 truck 4x4 that I have been using to tow. That is all I use it for, its not my daily driver. I am thinking about selling it because I am paying 450 month for a tow vehicle only.
Towing my 8000lb trailer with the mada isnt my 1st choice let me tell you, but it sounds like it's up to the job.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts