Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any 2nd gens done a transfer case fluid change yet?

Plan on doing mine within the next month. Haven't crawled under yet to check it out. Just ordered the fluid today.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Why so soon? Did your car get flooded?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why so soon? Did your car get flooded?
Negative.

We're already at 50k. We regularly pull a 6000 lbs camper. Manual calls for front/rear diff and transfer case at every 24k if towing or hauling heavy.
We bought the Armada with 40k on the clock. It was originally sold in late 2017. We only bought it in September and have already put on almost another 10k.

I'm very particular about service intervals and even more specific when it's a vehicle that I tow with.

I'm going to get under it this weekend, just wanted to see if anyone has done all of the fluids yet. Looks like I'll be the first. Front/rear diff fluids are standard GL4 and GL5, I'm going with Amsoil on both of these. The transfer case fluid is very unique, Nissan thinks highly of it and charges over $100/litre. Turns out it's the same fluid used in a lot of other electronically controlled transfer cases and is produced by Ravenol. Ravenol TF-0870, at almost 1/3 the cost.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
The transfer case fluid is very unique, Nissan thinks highly of it and charges over $100/litre. Turns out it's the same fluid used in a lot of other electronically controlled transfer cases and is produced by Ravenol.

Wow that's pricey.

What is Nissan calling that fluid in the user manual?
(First Gen we have Nissan Matic S for Transmission and Matic D for Transfer case)
Have they given it a "Nissan Matic _" designator?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow that's pricey.

What is Nissan calling that fluid in the user manual?
(First Gen we have Nissan Matic S for Transmission and Matic D for Transfer case)
Have they given it a "Nissan Matic _" designator?
Nope. They don't even list the fluid in the manual. Only that you need to use fluid for the specific t case model. A search for the t case brings up the $100 fluid. Back search the fluid and you come up with the Ravenol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
T-case takes 1.5L.

Front diff, rear diff, T-case....all done. All easy. All the same 10mm hex head.

Used my gear lube pump for the diffs. The T-case was easier to do with the Ravenol bottle, has a very sweet straw included in the cap.

Stock diff oil at 50k was done IMHO. It was discoloured, smelled (like old burnt gear oil, one of my least favorite petroleum products), and the magnetic drain plugs both had considerable build up.

T-case oil on the other hand looked and smelled great. I'm always baffled how some fluids can seemingly last forever and others turn bad pretty quick.

Even if I wasn't towing often, I'm glad it's done.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Any 2nd gens done a transfer case fluid change yet?

Plan on doing mine within the next month. Haven't crawled under yet to check it out. Just ordered the fluid today.
Yes, I have done twice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts