Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the consensus (!!!!) on additional tranny coolers for a QX80?

I've got 5800lb or so loaded trailer weight on our TT, and plan on doing nearly 3000 miles from Arkansas to Colorado and all around Colorado and back to Arkansas.

I've seen lots of into on keeping the truck in 3rd or 4th gear, maybe 5th sometimes in Kansas, to keep the torque converter from unlocking and overheating, and there are some who insist the radiators with integrated ATF coolers implode at 120,000 miles every.single.time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bump....Anyone???? I have a 2013 QX and have the same question....
Just did 3600 miles to and back and around Colorado with my 15 QX and 6000 lb 28 foot trailer. No issues, ATF temps never deviated, even running 60-70 Mph for 14 hours one day in 100F + temps.

My call is it's not needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did 3600 miles to and back and around Colorado with my 15 QX and 6000 lb 28 foot trailer. No issues, ATF temps never deviated, even running 60-70 Mph for 14 hours one day in 100F + temps.

My call is it's not needed.
Nice, and thanks for the reply. I started another thread that aims to consolidate info on heavy towing with similar 2nd gen. I think now they are getting older, more folks will be towing with them, so could be helpful. I've had mine for 4 years, max 2000 lbs towing in stock form (no BC, WD-SC, etc). I did once transport a tractor 5 miles (probably around 6000) with no BC, WD-CS, and it was sketchy as hell. See my link....

And thanks for your other posts...they've really helped me with that basics. I'm a pilot...so I don't underestimate this type of stuff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
For posterity the 2nd gen tranny cooler only fully opens above 212F so... expect it to get here over big passes. Many people successfully stay in 7th on flat ground for good mpg. I'm doing a big tow from CA to NE and I'll make a post about my data over passes and on the flats.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For posterity the 2nd gen tranny cooler only fully opens above 212F so... expect it to get here over big passes. Many people successfully stay in 7th on flat ground for good mpg. I'm doing a big tow from CA to NE and I'll make a post about my data over passes and on the flats.
Do we know how that temp valve is operated?
My Tundra was similar in that it wouldn't open until a certain temp.
There was a simple bypass for this to manually open that valve and keep it held open with a piece of safety wire.

Not sure if something similar is possible on the Armada.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts