Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

Transmission Fluid Change questions

6K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  fonzo91121 
#1 ·
Ok, I had the Dealer do a complete Tranny Flush and was wondering since it does not say in the manual where should the fluid be reading on the dipstick?

I have attached a picture for your reference - Should it be at the upper most little notch of the dipstick or is it ok to be up to the part of the dipstick that curves? I checked when it was hot and it was up to the curves...

Wonder if they overfilled it?

Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The fluid level should be at the top notch when the transmission is hot.
Note: be sure to rotate the dip stick 180 degrees from the bolted position to check level. Insert the stick with its bolt tab on the opposite side of where it bolts down.

Reactions: marctronixx
#3 ·
Check hot but not running?

scr38 said:
The fluid level should be at the top notch when the transmission is hot.
Note: be sure to rotate the dip stick 180 degrees from the bolted position to check level. Insert the stick with its bolt tab on the opposite side of where it bolts down.
Hey scr38 thanks for the information I would never had guessed to rotate it before checking.

I assume you check it hot but without the vehicle running.. Correct?

#4 ·
Not correct! Always check the transmission with the engine running. It will read high if not running. Be sure you have driven enough to warm the transmission to normal temp. Then check the level with the engine running and the gear selector in Park or Neutral. Be sure to set the parking brake before checking (for safety purposes), and be on a level surface.

#5 ·
Thanks

scr38 said:
Not correct! Always check the transmission with the engine running. It will read high if not running. Be sure you have driven enough to warm the transmission to normal temp. Then check the level with the engine running and the gear selector in Park or Neutral. Be sure to set the parking brake before checking (for safety purposes), and be on a level surface.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice. I will check tonight when I get home.

I wish it said this info in the owners manual.

#6 ·
Headed back to Dealer

I should just clock in and have them pay me since I spend more time there then at work,

I had the service manager check the transmission fluid level and he said it was over filled as I suspected. Since I had the complete flush he said he did not see how it was possible as the machince only puts in the same amount that it takes out. My reply was better get your machine calibrated.

Anyways he said it is probally a quart or so over filled and would probally not cause me any problems but if I would like then they can drain it down to the proper level. (Darn I hate to miss more work for this...)

What do you think? Should I just leave it as is or is this something I should have them fix?

Thanks

#7 ·
Have them remove the excess. An overfill can cause problems.

#8 ·
Thanks

scr38 said:
Have them remove the excess. An overfill can cause problems.

Thanks scr38 i am very greatful for your responses, I have a appointment tommorow at 1 to have them correct the issue.

I do most of my routine maintance myself but next time I have to go the dealer for anything I am going to try a different dealer as the service department at this dealer has not given me a very good feeling about the work they do. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I just changed mine on my 2004 qx 56. Just drain and fill for the first time at 106k. It Got rid of slight ticking sound that was coming from bottom dash area that would occur whenever i would push the pedal past half way. I Inadvertently fixed a problem that was bugging me for years ?. Now on the infernal ticking from A/C blend door next.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.