Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to estimate how many quarts of trans fluid to purchase.

1. I am switching to Amsoil Universal ATF since it is Nissan D, J & k
compatible.
2. I want to do a full atf exchange so I will be disconnecting I believe the lower trans oil cooler line and adding and new atf through the charge tube while draining from the trans oil cooler line until I see new fluid start to drain. While the engine is running.
3. I also want to take toe transmission pan off to clean and inspect which will drain about 5 qts.

If I drop trans oil pan first and lose approx. 5 qts, then add approx. 5 qts new oil, then start the exchange as stated above, should I consider exchange complete at first sign of new atf draining from cooler line? Or wait to see if I notice it changing back to old atf and then back to new again due to adding approx. 5 qts of new?

I hope this makes sense to someone.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Drop the pan and clean it first.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Has anyone done a fluid exchange at home? I have see the machines they use at the shops, but is there a good method for doing this in a home garage?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Has anyone done a fluid exchange at home? I have see the machines they use at the shops, but is there a good method for doing this in a home garage?

Thanks.
See post 1 in this thread.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Booting an old thread but I was surprised when all I got out of my transmission was 4 quarts (system holds 11.25 Quarts). I was expecting to get out around 5-6 qts. Everything checked out on the dip stick though. Guess I'll do it again in a few months.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
I just did a second drain and fill on my 2013. It was done cold both times(sat overnight), drained next morning. First round 5 quarts. Second 4.5 quarts. One week apart. Getting ready to do the second drain and fill on my 2011 in the morning.

I just did a second drain and fill on my 2013. It was done cold both times(sat overnight), drained next morning. First round 5 quarts. Second 4.5 quarts. One week apart. Getting ready to do the second drain and fill on my 2011 in the morning.
5 quarts cold drain and fill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Noob here; I see lots of mention of changing transmission fluid. Coming from a car world where they dont change nor recommend changing the transmission fluid.

This is my first Armada; 100k on it. Should I be changing the transmission fluid and how often. Can someone throw in the why too? (other than the its old and should be changed)

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Noob here; I see lots of mention of changing transmission fluid. Coming from a car world where they dont change nor recommend changing the transmission fluid.

This is my first Armada; 100k on it. Should I be changing the transmission fluid and how often. Can someone throw in the why too? (other than the its old and should be changed)
Not sure what year your beast is... but your coming up to the 105K recommended maintenance schedule that suggests the following services. Oil Change, Drive Belt Change, Transmission Fluid change, Spark Plugs and Coolant Change.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts