Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m in the process of changing the radiator on my ‘08 Armada. I bought the Hayden transmission cooler and intended to bypass the radiator and install it at the same time but after taking the radiator out I realized I have the factory transmission cooler already between the condenser coils and the radiator. Ive read A bit and am conf on whether the radiator performs a warming or cooling function for the tranny fluid and a, now wondering whether I should just bypass the radiator or also install the external cooler.

I am in Texas so hot weather is more of a concern than cold. I don’t currently tow anything but would like to retain the capability.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I'm in NYC (Houston this summer) and we spent our winter weekends in upstate NY, NJ, Poconos and Vermont. I did this bypass mod back on my previous 04 LE and never ran into any issues even in those cold, winter months. That truck was daily driven for 11 years and I sold it with 207K miles. Last I heard, 350K+ miles and still daily driven in NJ.

Reactions: Mitkraft

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I’m not sure what changed between my 07 and your 08 but I went with a CSF/Stillen radiator which is aluminum and ran the tranny fluid through the internal cooler.

The issue is if the tank is plastic like the OEM which can crack and mix fluids.

I’ve been on long cold rides and the tranny temp didn’t move above cold so I figured I would want the warming aspect.

But it seems many people bypassed and are ok.

My vote would be to keep the radiator cooler/warmer but that’s me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone! I was second guessing myself combined with having trouble finding a good spot for the new trans cooler. I think I got it all worked though. Got the new radiator in, mounted the new cooler and ran all the lines. I bypassed the radiator and installed the new cooler in line with the factory cooler. Since the new radiator is a plastic/aluminum version I didn’t want the risk of trans fluid and coolant mixing if it cracked. Still need to drain the transmission fluid and then I’m ready to fill everything back up and hope I didn’t screw anything up.

As always this forum is an invaluable resource and THANK YOU to everyone who posts helpful info!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I know I'm late to the party, but I also vote bypass. I recently did about 800 miles towing the whole way, and for about 99% of the trip the trans ran cooler than the engine temp. That told me that if I hadn't bypassed the radiator, then my trans fluid would be warming up in the radiator and then trying to cool down in the cooler. I also didn't add an aux. cooler and am just running the factory tow package cooler. I wasn't towing a huge load...maybe 4K lbs, but still I'm glad I wasn't heating my fluid just to try and cool it off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts