Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Armada SE 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2009 Armada SE 4x4 with a little over 50,000 miles a week ago, one owner, could not refused the offer, anyway took it for a spin on the weekend and I noticed the the transmission temp went up all the way to the max on de gauge, but that only happened going up hill once it goes down hill or completely horizontal it went back to normal.

Any ideas whats going on?

·
Super Moderator
5,908 Posts
did the engine temp rise as well?
did the car drive funny? any hesitation?
did you visually inspect the engine? maybe the tranny cooler is defective.

·
Registered
2009 Armada SE 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine temp normal, all the time
No funny acting or hesitation
No leaks of any kind

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
Did you check the fluid levels? Might be low. But, if it is, would want to know why. Because with that few of miles on it, most people wouldn't have had the fluid changed yet, which means it's leaking somewhere, either on your garage floor (will be able to see that as spray all over the bottom of the engine/transmission), or into the coolant (will be able to see that from the trans fluid, will look foamy or milky if it's mixing with the coolant). Either case, this should not be happening, so you need to get to the bottom of it. Maybe you just found out why it was such a good deal.......

Keith

·
Registered
2009 Armada SE 4x4
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My mecanic and I inspected the car for leaks and all was nice and clean, cleanest car I have ever seen, he told me to stay away from the transmission, it has no leaks of any kind. But after this behavior I certainly check the transmission oil level, the card records show nothing done on the transmission, do I need to service it? change the oil and clean the filter?

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
My Armada has 80K on it, I just had the trans drained and filled (no flush) this past week. According to my mechanic, fluid looked like brand new. He initially did not want to do it, but when I told him I towed a trailer quite a bit, he said he would just do a drain and fill.

Keith

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Nothing wrong with doing a drain and fill. Just measure the volume of what you take out and put that much back in. You want to allow the fluid to return to ambient temperatures because ATF will expand when hot.

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
My 06 does not have the tow package so I installed an aftermarket gauge. I wouldn't trust the factory guage because it doesn't really tell you the actual temperature. I would want to confirm the actual temperature, however you choose to do that. You might want to confirm that you have fluid flowing through the cooler by putting the return line in a bucket and have someone else start the car.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts