Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen people say that yes it does but I’ve also seen more saying it’s Pathfinder/Frontier only.

We are looking into Armadas for towing a small travel trailer and transmission issues are obviously something that would concern me.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Do you mean the problem where the tranny cooler line runs into it's own cooler/warmer section in the bottom of the radiator and sometimes the barrier between the engine coolant section and the tranny coolant section cracks and the two fluid mix? Yes - that sometimes occurs because of the basic design of it. I wouldn't say it occurs often enough to scare anyone away from ownership or towing - but it is physically possible.

Easy preventative fix costs under $100 and takes under an hour to plumb in an external cooler. Or get an aftermarket radiator.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I agree with Staple's statement. I had a radiator issue on my '07 where it was leaking around the bottom, but the coolant never mixed with any other fluids. Replaced with a Koyo radiator and have been fine ever since.

I would be more concerned about the cracked exhaust manifolds issue.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
I agree with Staple's statement. I had a radiator issue on my '07 where it was leaking around the bottom, but the coolant never mixed with any other fluids. Replaced with a Koyo radiator and have been fine ever since.

I would be more concerned about the cracked exhaust manifolds issue.
Cracked manifolds are annoying but benign; they won't destroy your automatic transmission.

OP, don't let the radiator be the deciding factor in buying/not buying the Armada you're looking at. As previously mentioned, it's very easy to bypass the internal heat exchanger that brings the ATF up to operating temp. You can install an aftermarket unit, or (more likely) the vehicle you're looking at already has an external cooler, any you can buy $15 worth of 3/8" pressure hose, and run the bypass lines yourself.... it takes like 20 minutes, and a single beer.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Cracked manifolds are annoying but benign; they won't destroy your automatic transmission.
There was no correlation of such intended. 2 separate things, but something to definitely be aware of.
I would categorize cracked manifolds as a bit more than annoying as the repair cost is north of $2,000 in most cases.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
There was no correlation of such intended. 2 separate things, but something to definitely be aware of.
I would categorize cracked manifolds as a bit more than annoying as the repair cost is north of $2,000 in most cases.
The point is that you can leave cracked manifolds alone, and nothing bad will happen, other than personal annoyance.

Not addressing a radiator that is internally leaking into the ATF system is going to be an issue.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
We can agree to disagree on this one, Dan. The bigger picture is cracked manifolds = no safety inspection sticker in the window in my state. It is basically a forced repair in order to drive legally and without the chance of being fined, should you be pulled over.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Easy preventative fix costs under $100 and takes under an hour to plumb in an external cooler. Or get an aftermarket radiator.
Hey Staplebox, I am looking at doing this with my '12 armada (I was one of those with coolant mixing in the tranny with my old '06). Do you know of any specific parts for the under $100 fix? I was looking at spending a couple hundred on an external tranny cooler. I'd rather $100 if I can and its good :)

thanks

·
Premium Member
876 Posts

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I used a Tru-Cool model similar to the one above, but can't find the model #. I believe it was about $75 and I also bought a length of this hose and these clamps. That's it.

I mounted mine in the lower grill opening on the passenger side, unlike in this video. I did not want to block the main radiator. Also the stock lines run to that lower pass side area already so easy to connect there. I'll see if I have a pic.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I used a Tru-Cool model similar to the one above, but can't find the model #. I believe it was about $75 and I also bought a length of this hose and these clamps. That's it.

I mounted mine in the lower grill opening on the passenger side, unlike in this video. I did not want to block the main radiator. Also the stock lines run to that lower pass side area already so easy to connect there. I'll see if I have a pic.
Same here for same reasons.
IMG_20191228_160849417.jpg
IMG_20191228_160423999.jpg

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts