Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why my transmission temperature gauge needle is on cold when traveling on the highway, but in the city it is in between cold and hot (where it should be).
I traveled 500 miles on the highway at one time and it was still cold. The temp outside was average 25 degrees.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Funny - I just noticed that gauge last week! It makes sense that at highway speeds you have less gear up/down shifting versus the city. All this means is that your trans is staying nice and cool - especially since you have cold winter air help keeping it cool at high speeds.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
yes normal. just to piggyback on wally, the other night it was like 27 degrees or some such. i was on the interstate going 60 mph constant. not much traffic so i didnt have to brake as much. couple the wind chill as that wind passes over the transmission case and constant low RPMs, the temp on the gauge just barely moved.. i mean less than .00001 of an inch! lol the gauge behaves that way when its cool out like that. now once i stopped on the exit ramp at the light and then did a couple stop and go's THEN the needle moved a bit..

so yes thats normal.. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
last night it was 32 degrees. i was going a good 65 mph occasionally to 70 to pass some jokers... with very little engine load the actual ENGINE TEMP was falling below the normal operating range... when i got to the exit ramp the engine was idling a little higher than normal. i immediately thought of this thread.

when leaving the job, from the time i get in the car to the on ramp its less than a mile and with hardly any engine load the engine and trans is pretty cool.. :)

now im attaching photos of the combination gauge (you know it as the speedo! :D) and it shows engine temp, MPH and the trans is still on C. it takes me about 17 minutes to get home all on the interstate and this was just about 4 miles from the off ramp i take to get to the pad...

IOW i had been driving about 15 minutes. and yes photos are blurry. driving with your knee and hold a phone to snap a photo takes some multitasking... :p

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Just wanted to say my 2010 Titanium reads close to the same in about 25 to 35 degrees Fahrenheit temperatures at highway speeds as well. Try towing something with a considerable amount of weight and see if your trans gauge needle moves a third of the way or to the middle. Just to confirm the thing is working normally. Just two cents worth.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
My 2007 Armada SE behaves the same way. Only now 99% of the time (outside temp hot or cold) the transmission temperature gauge reads a very low temperature. Not sure why, but it still shifts very smooth and gets on the average 20 MPG on the highway. I'm just going to continue with regular maintenance and tune ups for the time being and hopefully it will not develop into a major problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
cheapshot your car is fine. just sit idle for a minute after you drive and you will see the needle move.. nothing to worry about...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

Can anyone tell me why my transmission temperature gauge needle is on cold when traveling on the highway, but in the city it is in between cold and hot (where it should be).
I traveled 500 miles on the highway at one time and it was still cold. The temp outside was average 25 degrees.

Thanks.
last night it was 32 degrees. i was going a good 65 mph occasionally to 70 to pass some jokers... with very little engine load the actual ENGINE TEMP was falling below the normal operating range... when i got to the exit ramp the engine was idling a little higher than normal. i immediately thought of this thread.

when leaving the job, from the time i get in the car to the on ramp its less than a mile and with hardly any engine load the engine and trans is pretty cool.. :)

now im attaching photos of the combination gauge (you know it as the speedo! :D) and it shows engine temp, MPH and the trans is still on C. it takes me about 17 minutes to get home all on the interstate and this was just about 4 miles from the off ramp i take to get to the pad...

IOW i had been driving about 15 minutes. and yes photos are blurry. driving with your knee and hold a phone to snap a photo takes some multitasking... :p

·
Registered
2 Posts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts