Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 Armada LE with the tow package. Recently after about 45 minutes of driving the temperature gauge will go to hot ... if you put it in park the temp will go down to regular cool. Drive another 10-15 minutes back to hot... always cool in park tho I've recently changed the fluid and filter (type s) same issue... no issues with driving, no slipping, no hard shifts... just high temperatures! Is this thr beginning of the end for this transmission? Anyone with this similar issue found a remedy for it???

·
Registered
263 Posts
Is the driving varied speed, only highway, etc...Sounds like you might be loosing a gear. I had a silverado that had that happen. Anytime it was in third gear the temps would spike, but it was fine in any other gear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just checking the basics - of course your coolant and trans levels are correct, right?

Second thing is to check for an airflow blockage through the radiator. Often stuff will get caught behind the AC evaporator where it's invisible until you go looking for it. Put a trouble light behind the radiator and look for light out the front - that's an old method of checking to see if the radiator fins are blocked in any way.

The rising temps at idle indicate a blocked radiator or compromised cooling as the first place to start...

If no blockage, then go to the fan clutch as the next most likely culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checking the basics - of course your coolant and trans levels are correct, right?

Second thing is to check for an airflow blockage through the radiator. Often stuff will get caught behind the AC evaporator where it's invisible until you go looking for it. Put a trouble light behind the radiator and look for light out the front - that's an old method of checking to see if the radiator fins are blocked in any way.

The rising temps at idle indicate a blocked radiator or compromised cooling as the first place to start...

If no blockage, then go to the fan clutch as the next most likely culprit.
If it was the fan clutch wouldn't i have engine temperature issues??? Could the condenser fan possibly be the culprit? Or does that only come on when the AC is on

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
You’ve already ruled out the fluid by changing it and yielding similar results. The fan clutch wouldn’t affect the ATF temp.
Anything from low fluid, leaks, valve body/solenoid to even a faulty ATF temp sensor could be causing this. I’d find a reputable transmission shop or repair shop that utilizes a full range scan tool. Those pocket scanners at the local auto parts store can’t do much and you need something that can read the TCM and it’s possible DTCs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You’ve already ruled out the fluid by changing it and yielding similar results. The fan clutch wouldn’t affect the ATF temp.
Anything from low fluid, leaks, valve body/solenoid to even a faulty ATF temp sensor could be causing this. I’d find a reputable transmission shop or repair shop that utilizes a full range scan tool. Those pocket scanners at the local auto parts store can’t do much and you need something that can read the TCM and it’s possible DTCs.
So i got a scanner that will scan for TCM DTC's .. no it's not showing any transmission fault codes

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
So i got a scanner that will scan for TCM DTC's .. no it's not showing any transmission fault codes
That's good news so at least you know the valve body isn't the problem. I'm guessing the scanner can also read actual ATF temp which would be the next thing to look at. Especially if you can have it plugged in during a drive to see if there are any irregularities between the actual ATF temp readings and the gauge itself once the needle starts rising.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's good news so at least you know the valve body isn't the problem. I'm guessing the scanner can also read actual ATF temp which would be the next thing to look at. Especially if you can have it plugged in during a drive to see if there are any irregularities between the actual ATF temp readings and the gauge itself once the needle starts rising.
Unfortunately it does everything but read the tranny temp while riding because that was def my 1st bright idea ... could it possibly be a valve body issue that's not producing a code? I may for shits and giggles swap the temp sensor to see what happens... in my mind i felt if the sensor was the issue it wouldn't read regular ever and it would be out of whack from start up or just not work

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Sounds like the cooler may not be being getting fluid flow. You can pull the return line off at the trans and hold it in a bucket while someone starts the truck. You should have pretty good flow from that line. FWIW....I would install an aftermarket trans temp gauge so you can see the actual temperature

1 - 12 of 12 Posts