Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are three ways I know of to monitor transmission temperature without installing a thermometer including using a ScanGuage, the OBD Fusion app plus the Nissan enhanced add-on, and a Bully Dog GT tuner. The procedure in the service manual for checking ATF level requires knowing the transmission temperature in degrees.

The only one I have used is ScanGuage. ScanGuage gives you two transmission temperatures, but the ScanGuage tech support man does not know where each comes from. He thinks one is from the pan and the other is from the torque converter. The service manual says to use CONSULT (Nissan's OBD software) to read the temperature labeled "AT1" for this procedure, so knowing which of the two reported temperatures to use is important. I have chosen to go off the one that is supposedly from the pan. The ScanGuage was $160, and the customer service is excellent. The ScanGuage will give coolant temperature but not oil temperature.

OBD Fusion should be able to read the transmission temperature if you download the Nissan enhanced add-on according to their tech support person who I emailed. The OBD Fusion app is $5 and the Nissan enhanced add-on is $10. To use these apps you must get a separate OBD adapter.

I am not familiar with the Bully Dog GT. It costs $430.

The service manual says to use a lint free paper towel to check the ATF level. I used Kimtech shop towels ID number 33560. Note these are marked low lint not lint free. I was unable to find any products that claimed to be lint free. They do not lint like a paper towel although a tiny piece may snag and tear off on the notches in the dipstick. They are $14 on Ebay.

·
Super Moderator
6,014 Posts
so, what exactly are you asking? what shop towels to get? or what tool to use to measure the temp? or if the numbers in the FSM are in celsius or fahrenheit?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
My Dash Transmission temp gauge is good enough for me. I've Stared at my dash gauges enough to know what is NORMAL.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so, what exactly are you asking? what shop towels to get? or what tool to use to measure the temp? or if the numbers in the FSM are in celsius or fahrenheit?
I am explaining the ways I know to get a quantitative transmission temperature since this is relevant for checking the ATF level. The procedure for checking transmission temperature can be found in the "maintenance" manual for the Armada at this url: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
I am explaining the ways I know to get a quantitative transmission temperature since this is relevant for checking the ATF level. The procedure for checking transmission temperature can be found in the "maintenance" manual for the Armada at this url: https://www.nicoclub.com/nissan-service-manuals.
Can you further explain the procedure for checking transmission temperature? I see procedures for checking transmission fluid level at cold or hot temperatures, but not procedure for actually checking, and knowing the temperature.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you further explain the procedure for checking transmission temperature? I see procedures for checking transmission fluid level at cold or hot temperatures, but not procedure for actually checking, and knowing the temperature.
As far as I know, to get a quantitative transmission temperature you have to use a tool that can read your car's OBD II codes. The three tools I know of are ScanGuage, the OBD Fusion app plus the Nissan enhanced add-on, and a Bully Dog GT tuner. These tools come with instructions for monitoring data like the transmission temperature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts