Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was in Yosemeti Valley today for the memorial day weekend and this place was like a flea market. Long lines of vehicles on road and double parked cars in the parking lot not to speak of long lines of cars with two side tires on pavement and the other two on dirt. I had to find a parking near a picnic area with rest room and the vehicles were so jammed in the little parking lot that even walking between them was difficult. I decided to go offroad and find parking in the woods but about a two feet deep trench separated the paved road from the woods and there was no shoulder. Going was relatively easy but I did hit my rear hitch receiver to the paved road going through the trench. Coming back some one parked a car right behind my truck to I had to go through a little more difficult trench to get back on road and I put my truck in 4 Hi. I could see my front tires stuck in the ditch spraying dirt in the air but vehicle was not moving forward. I reversed the truck about 10 feet in 4 hi, engaged 4 LO and Volla, the truck was on the Road without any effort or spinning wheels in the dirt. At that time, I told my wife " That is the difference between an AWD and a real 4x4. I am impressed.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Amen. You may only rarely use low range, but it is awesome when needed. It will get you out of a lot of bad spots. It's the torque multiplication, and, as you noted, there is nothing dramatic about it - just slow, steady . . . and sure. Very reassuring to know it is there.

Great post!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Wonder what kind of MPG you get in LO?

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
andy said:
Wonder what kind of MPG you get in LO?
You would probably measure that as GPM!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I believe whatever MPG or GPM you get, it is worth it. I saw people pushing the cars out of the trench even with two tires on the pavement. With two small kids and wife it is very re assuring to Know that you have a real 4x4 with awesome power . I did see quite a few Armadas roaming around there. Looks like it is catching on.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
The only LO action my 4x4's have gotten is pulling tree stumps out of the ground. I'm too chicken to rock crawl. Those guys are nuts!

But it sure does save a lot of cutting and digging that stump out of the ground. Tow strap wrapped around the base, tap the gas pedal and CRACK, tree stump is ripped out. :pullout:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
I tried the 4 low for the first time today ( I bought my Armada 5 weeks ago). I was on a Lake Mead (Las Vegas) and took a shortcut to get to my favorite spot. ...my god, isn't this car amazing.....through pretty steep hills and gravel, 4LO took a care of it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts