Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched all over this forum, but haven't found anything. I can only open & close the trunk manually with force. If I use the remote or the trunk release button on the dash, the trunk will make the noise to open but then close right back. If the the trunk is open & use the close button on the back panel, it'll start to close but then makes a beeping sound & go back up.

I thought it was something blocking the sensor stopping it from opening, so I removed everything out of the trunk & it still won't open or close automatically. Also I already checked the control arm & the bolt is still attached & tight.

I attached a video for a better description.

Does anybody know how to fix this?

Trunk Video

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a similar problem to yours and my issue was the glass latch wasn't closing all the way and not allowing the rear hatch door to open / close automatically

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
When you open the hatch manually, will it stay up on its own? Or do you have to hold it up?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a similar problem to yours and my issue was the glass latch wasn't closing all the way and not allowing the rear hatch door to open / close automatically
Tested that. The glass hatch is completely close

When you open the hatch manually, will it stay up on its own? Or do you have to hold it up?
It stays up on its own. When I push the close button, I also have to push the hatch to help it go down. If not it’ll just make the beep noise, act like it’s gonna close & go back up

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Sounds like the pinch sensor is giving a bad signal that something is in the way, and causing the hatch to reverse rather than close all the way. Not sure the best way to troubleshoot / fix that. Might be a dealer visit......

·
Registered
44 Posts
What Campfamily said. I have exactly the same problem, except it only happens when it gets hot outside. I put some silicone on the gate seals and that helps a lot. Apparently, when hot, the seal adds enough "stick" that it takes a bit more force to open. On the down, that's fairly rare for me, but not a big deal. I just put my hand and push a bit to get it started.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Just like the motor on a window regulator assembly, the power assist motor could wear out too. If you’re having to use force to manually open and close the rear hatch, it’s possible that assist motor could be seized.
With the rear hatch open, disconnect the rod from the hatch. Press the remote button or switch to close the hatch and see if the assist motor engages. Obviously, if the rod doesn’t move, the assist motor is the problem. Either it’s burnt out or a problem on the regulator like arm that the rod is riveted to.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Learn how to adjust the trunk striker and inspect the trunk latch. Should work for most vehicles, if it won't fix the problem call your dealer or seek help from an auto mechanic.

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Doesn't sound like the problem is with the striker or latch......think the OP says that it tries to move, then gives up. So, either it's the pinch sensor telling the system to reverse, or a bad motor.

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts