Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to do a little maintenance to the engine. 2010 with 119,000 miles on the clock. I change the oil every 5,000 miles with Mobil 1 extended performance oil with a Mobil 1 filter. I have replaced the air filter when we bought it around 17,000 miles ago. The last couple tanks my fuel mileage has dropped off a bit. Not sure if that attributed to winter fuel formula or something else. I was looking at spark plugs but that seems to be all over the map as to which ones. I want to go OEM if possible but not sure because I am getting two different plugs that pull up. We have these which EBay says doesn’t not sure about that because the part number matches.

or these which they say fits but is the same part number and of course over double the price.

Is there anything I am missing for a tune up?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I put NGK Laser Platinum PLFR5A-11 in my '07 nine years ago and haven't thought about them since. (18 Lb Ft torque)

If I want to know what an OEM part is, I go to Courtesy Nissan and check for part numbers there. For my '07, they show two types... with flex fuel and without...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did what you said and I get the same list as you. However in the details the top one is only for the 2017 Armada. Is this a new part number or does it superseded the bottom number?

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Tune up is a generic term - there isn't really a definition. I'd just look in your owners manual and follow the recommended services at the recommended intervals. The manual also lists all your part numbers and capacities.

If you aren't sure if something has been done and want to make sure it up to date I would think about the
- front and rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, brake fluid, tranny fluid, coolant, spark plugs, engine air filter, cabin air filter, serpentine belt, check for leaks underneath, check the suspension, check the hoses, grease anything with a zerk, spare tire air pressure, silicone the gaskets and grease the door hinges.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I apologize for the generic term. I mainly was thinking engine related, things that could effect gas mileage. I do appreciate all the suggestions. Always nice to have someone else thinking and throwing the stuff out there. I have done quite a few that you listed so fair. Thanks again for the list.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I looked in the manual and it said
DILFR5A-11 for the non flex fuel model. So I ordered 8, and we shall see.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well I looked in the manual and it said
DILFR5A-11 for the non flex fuel model. So I ordered 8, and we shall see.
I think you're good. That is also what NGK's site is calling for. (Below chart)

On the other hand, I appear to be running plugs in my 2007 that are specified for a 2006 Armada. Starting with 2007, they specify Iridium tip instead of platinum. I'm about due for a change anyway. May as well make it right. Where did you order them from? (do you have a link?) The cheapest I see them on Amazon is $137.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
DILFR5A-11 for the non flex fuel model.
That price is incredibly low compared to other sellers.
I did see one other similar price but they were shipping out of Taiwan.
Isn't yours a flex fuel model?

This is where I am getting confused. Mine is FFV, so do I:
  • Go with the DILFR5A-11D simply because that is for the flex fuel model?
  • Go with the DILFR5A-11 because I don't intend to use E85 fuel?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do not have the flex fuel engine. If your not planning on running E85 for anything then I think you would be fine with the standard plugs. I would say your on to something with the different plug being for the E85 fuel.
I did the think the plugs were a good deal. I read the post throughly and they do accept returns. I figured it was worth a shot. It says they are genuine Nissan. If not they go back. Let me know which way you go I am curious. I do feel that “us” on a car forum tend to be more picky with our car parts then others. We are stressing over plugs when I bet a ton through whatever Autozone has it in and calls it good. Or better yet don’t change spark plugs at all!!!!! 🤣

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Received my plugs today. Everything looks legit. Plugs and box stamped with made in Japan and the part number is correct. Stamped IR for iridium I am guessing. Not 100% sure on that one. Am gonna try to get installed tomorrow. If not soon. Will keep informed.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Received my plugs today. Everything looks legit.
Cool. I think I will order a set of them at that price and just have them ready for when the change is due.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Got them new plugs in yet? How's it running?
Engine hasn't exploded yet, right? :)

I just ordered a set of them.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Be careful about buying spark plugs from the internet. There are many counterfeits out there.
Yeah, that's what I am wondering... how the guy is selling these at $58 where the next cheapest price I see is $114.
At Autozone they are $160. After watching this below video, I've cancelled my order.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
And here's a good checkpoint. Look at the grounding straps. The one on the left is a rather sharp angle as it bends to the electrode. The one on the right is a nice round curve. Even the threads look much nicer on the one on the right. (The one on the left was verified as fake and was supposed to be the same as the NGK one on the right)

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven’t installed mine yet. I will pull a original plug and if they don’t look right I will send them back. I will update as soon as I get them installed.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Let's see a pic of the electrode from the side of one that you just got. See if it is squared or rounded like the above pic.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
The curve looks good!

So I went to NGK's site and looked up that plug. They have very good close-ups.
I put theirs (left) next to yours (right) for comparison. Angles are a little different, so that makes exact comparison difficult. NGK could just be using a stock photo, but I think it is the actual DILFR5A11. I would at least check the gap on those. Should be .044

1 - 20 of 46 Posts