Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I will check the gap. You guys have me worried now. I don’t want one of these tips to fall off and trash an engine. I guess I will see what the old ones look like and go from there.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I will check the gap. You guys have me worried now. I don’t want one of these tips to fall off and trash an engine. I guess I will see what the old ones look like and go from there.
Well, I am just trying to picture a scenario where this guy is making a profit from legitimate plugs at $58 for 8 of them. Not many are coming to mind if they're legit. The only two that make sense to me is they were either stolen or they were made for the Asian market and got around tariffs or import fees or whatever.

The guy in that video I posted actually called NGK and they checked the numbers that were stamped into the metal of the plug, then NGK cross referenced it and said it wasn't possible that they were legit. You could always go that route.

If they're fake, I doubt the tips would fall off into the engine. It would probably be more a case of instead of being Iridium, that they are platinum or just copper. Even if they were platinum, $58 is still unbelievable.

Even through Courtesy Nissan which has a 25% discount off the usual dealer price, they are $134. I think I will just order from there.

And if you didn't feel like pulling one of your plugs to compare to, take one of those you just got and go to an auto parts store and compare against one of their new ones.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I think yours looks good (legit). Tip looks very similar to my other ngk plugs (DILKAR8K8G).

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
So to further muddy this up, it is only NGK's site that is recommending the DILFR5A11 plugs for my '07 and Firefighter's '10.

Looking up plugs for those vehicles on both Courtesy Nissan and NissanPartsDeal, they show the PLFR5A11 as the prescribed plug. I understand the difference is one is platinum and one is Iridium, but it is interesting that NGK doesn't even show the platinum plug as an option for these years.

Furthermore, NissanPartsDeal shows yet another option on these years. I've heard in the past that Nissan has some "Value Advantage" parts that are significantly reduced in price but still meet the requirements of Nissan and is guaranteed by the factory warranty. This is apparently one of them... so if you are on a tight budget and need no-frills plugs:

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
The main reason why platinum and iridium plugs are "recommended" by the majority of automobile manufacturers is for the extended time and mileage without having the need to replace them. Less expensive copper plugs have the best performance but lose out in longevity vs. platinum and iridium.

If you want to save some money, go to RockAuto.com and buy your OE plugs there.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you want to save some money, go to RockAuto.com and buy your OE plugs there.
Oh yeah... that is a good price on them. 11.66 each!

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Oh yeah... that is a good price on them. 11.66 each!
Google "Rock Auto discount code" and you'll always find a revolving list of 5% coupon codes, which almost covers shipping.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
So what's the verdict there, Firefighter? How'd you make out with those plugs?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I am installing them right now. The truck had DENSO plugs in it. They look okay. It’s been a while since I have changed plugs. Is it normal to have to adjust the gap on every one out the box?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just finished. All plugs came out of the box gapped around .030. I adjusted them all to .044. The only thing that has me wondering is buy the time I got them gapped they looked like this. Is this gonna work? The tit on the curved part and the electrode look slightly off when gapped at .044 or is it in my head?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
I am installing them right now. The truck had DENSO plugs in it. They look okay. It’s been a while since I have changed plugs. Is it normal to have to adjust the gap on every one out the box?
No, those should be pre-gapped at .044 by the factory.
I wouldn't put those in like that.

See this thread that just happened...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well they are all in. I guess this has blown up on me and I will be spending time pulling them back out again. I am pissed at this point.
Shouldn’t the DENSO plugs be gapped at .044 also? They came out at around $30 as well.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well they are all in. I guess this has blown up on me and I will be spending time pulling them back out again. I am pissed at this point.
Shouldn’t the DENSO plugs be gapped at .044 also? They came out at around $30 as well.
You can check the NGK website for your gap... Part Finder | NGK Spark Plugs

But here it is....

Denso is also .040 to .044 depending on which plug...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Should I regap the old ones and reinstall or just reinstall until I figure out what’s going on? Well you guys told me, too good to be true. 4 hrs of my life I never will get back.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you have no other vehicle to use to run down to Autozone or whatever to get new ones, I personally would just slap the old ones back in as they are. I wouldn't even bother trying to re-gap them. After firing millions of times, those grounding tips might be a bit brittle?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
It is just longevity over the old style copper plugs.
platinum and upwards are supposed to get you like 105,000 miles.
They're great plugs. They aren't going to do any damage.

As far as the ones you have in there now... the NGK's, did you fire up the Armada? How did it run? Maybe they will be OK to get you to an auto parts place?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It ran fine. But I am taking my mom and dad to dinner tomorrow, we lost my brother 6 years ago and don’t want any issues while out and about. I thought about running down and just getting some platinum plugs for now.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
NGK Platinum's are great! I'd put them in and be happy. Call ahead and see if they have them in stock though. My local Autozone didn't have them in stock.

Edit - Oh I see what you are saying now. NGK's site doesn't list the Platinum's as an option for my '07 or your '10, but they have them for an '06.

The PLFR5A11 is the platinum recommended for the '06. They are also what I had put in mine like 8 years ago and it ran fine. I just now switched over to the Iridium's.

But I'm curious as to why you aren't just putting the NGK Iridium's in? Unless you are planning on getting another brand that offers a platinum option...

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Well I have 8 slightly used spark plugs wrapped up and ready to send back. You guys were right. I should have listened. I have bought a tons of stuff off eBay and honestly this is the first time I really have been disappointed. Frustrating but oh well what are you going to do. Just trying to figure out which plugs I am gonna go with.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts