Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
I have read a couple of places that the values listed on the US version are actually under ratings of teh actual values because of insurance issues and that in fact the US Armada has the same hp and torque as the UAE version (I believe they are made in the same factory). I have also seen some dyno runs of the Titan giving about 255-265 rear wheel hp with a stock setup and with about 20-25% loss with the drivetrain it works out to be around 340. I am curious to see som dyno numbers from an Armada though.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
The fine print on the web site says "SAE gross" for the hp. 340 gross would be consistent with our 305 SAE net used in the USA. But . . . I do agree that our engines seem under rated, or our competition is over rating theirs. Just how much remains subject to debate, because there is no way for us to practically test for horsepower at the flywheel. Dyno tests, measured at the rear wheels are showing rhp from 250 up to 275 or so in bone-stock trucks.

There is still a lot of disagreement on the conversion factor to go from net to gross. Most aftermarket suppliers and engine tuners say 20-25% for pickups and SUV's with automatic transmissions, with the higher number to be used on 4x4's. But it all depends on drive line efficiency.

A lot of so called "experts" theorize that our drive train is a lot more efficient, especially our tranny than the competition and that is helping us in acceleration. Also, we have the equivalent of 4.10:1 gearing which helps also.

I have not used a chassis dyno on my truck, but I do have an instrument called a G-Tech Pro accelerometer. It uses time/speed/distance measurements and changes in rate of acceleration/deceleration to calculate all kinds of data. I don't know how it correlates to a chassis dyno, but it does come close to producing the same times as some dragstrip times I ran last summer.

According to this device, my engine is putting out 250-255 rwp and 300-305 pounds of torque. I have a 4x4. Using the 25% number this would work out to about 313 hp and 381 pounds of torque. The 20% hp/torque numbers would be 301/366, if I did the math right. Either way, that's pretty close to the published numbers. The only modification I have made is a K&N drop in air filter.

Drag strip times last summer were in the 15.4's - very close to the published test reports on our trucks in the various mags.

This spring the accelerometer is showing lower times, more like 15.1's which I attribute to the engine now broken in at 16,000 miles and to cooler weather.

I don't have access to a chassis dyno to my knowledge and do not vouch for the G-Tech Pro beyond that a recent Car & Driver tested it along with several other such devices and found it to be pretty reliable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts