Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard or ever experienced the VDC Off, SLIP & ABS Lights all staying on during driving? When they stay on I experience all sort of weird things with the brakes slipping and making a clicking and scrubbing noise. These lights flicker when this happens. Most times I have no problems but the lights just stay on. Other times I experience what I described above.
I had this problem once before and when I took it into the dealership they said that I had a faulty ABS sensor. It was replaced and the problem seemingly went away.....but only for about 2 months and now its back!

I've also had problems in the past with the infamous "brake shudder" problem but its been almost a year since I had to get the brake and rotor fix and haven't had that problem since.

However, I still believe that the two are somehow related.

Anyone have any ideas?
Please Help!

04 Nissan Armada (Galaxy)
20% tint on front windows
After-market Myron & Davis DVD System

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
gsp8s said:
Anyone heard or ever experienced the VDC Off, SLIP & ABS Lights all staying on during driving? When they stay on I experience all sort of weird things with the brakes slipping and making a clicking and scrubbing noise. These lights flicker when this happens. Most times I have no problems but the lights just stay on. Other times I experience what I described above.
I had this problem once before and when I took it into the dealership they said that I had a faulty ABS sensor. It was replaced and the problem seemingly went away.....but only for about 2 months and now its back!

I've also had problems in the past with the infamous "brake shudder" problem but its been almost a year since I had to get the brake and rotor fix and haven't had that problem since.

Anyone have any ideas?
Please Help!

04 Nissan Armada (Galaxy)
20% tint on front windows
After-market Myron & Davis DVD System
Unrelated. The "judder" is mechanical in nature, not electrical. Those 3 lit at once signifies usually some engine code, etc. I had that on my infiniti and they said it was because I had left my car running while I filled up the tank. The car had done a diagnostic to see if the fuel system would hold pressure. With the cap off, it wouldn't, so it was telling me I had a fuel leak. It reset itself within a hundred miles.
The scrubbing grinding is normal ABS engaging. This is normal for all ABS systems. The brakes shouldn't be slipping. Again, it does sound like a faulty ABS sensor. I'd have a different dealer diagnose and intstall a new one. Probably a bad install by the dealer. This isn't a common problem.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
gsp8s said:

Anyone have any ideas?
Please Help!
Check your brake fluid level first. That is the usual cause. I had all the brake light warnings a while back and it turned out to be the contorol unit.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally Fixed!!!

Just wanted to give an update on this original issue with the "VDC Off, SLIP and ABS light staying on while driving. It turned out to be an issue with the ABS Actuator and ABS Control Unit......both of which they have replaced. I have also had ongoing issues with the brake judder but that also has been resolved with the so called "Nissan Brake Fix".
Due to all of the issues that I have experienced I decided to contact Nissan Consumer Affairs to file a complaint. They got me in touch with the BBB (Better Business Bureau) Autoline. From there I started down the road to get my vehicle replaced due to the brake problems. Nissan answered this complaint very quickly and has since offered me $2500 for my trouble, a Gold Service Extended Warranty and are sending a Nissan Technician to personally inspect and repair any problems found on my vehicle.
I am more than happy with the results so far and I would encourage anyone experiencing similar brake problems to also notify Nissan because it may turn out that a recall on certain models is required.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,189 Posts
Kailo said:
When it rains it pours...Hope you will get this taken care of soon:eek:
Thanks Kailo! The lights were on during my commute in this morning. When I parked and turned the truck off and then started it again, they did not come back on. I had an off site meeting and they were not on while on the way there and back. So... we'll see!

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
I had a similiar situation happened to me three times now. When I started my 06 Armada, the brake light stayed on. The front brakes made all kinds of noises like it was grinding. Then I turned it off and back on and it was perfect again. I took it to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything wrong with my truck. They said they haven't heard of anything like this on a 06 Armada. They told me the next time it happens to leave the engine on and have it towed to the dealership. Unfortunately whenever this happens it's at night. I'm sure it will happen again.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,189 Posts
ggeorgie said:
Agree with kailo on this, maybe something got loose b/c of the accident.
Could be, I'll keep yo all posted! Also, my ABS light doesn't come on, bu the brake light does. I has only happened twice. I will have it checked whe the repairs get done and my 30K service is coming up. So iI will have them look at it again to be sure.
esMada said:
I had a similiar situation happened to me three times now. When I started my 06 Armada, the brake light stayed on. The front brakes made all kinds of noises like it was grinding. Then I turned it off and back on and it was perfect again. I took it to the dealer, but they couldn't find anything wrong with my truck. They said they haven't heard of anything like this on a 06 Armada. They told me the next time it happens to leave the engine on and have it towed to the dealership. Unfortunately whenever this happens it's at night. I'm sure it will happen again.
If yoiu are experiencing some grinding, you got a legitemate brake problem.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Vdc

BlakSpyda said:
Could be, I'll keep yo all posted! Also, my ABS light doesn't come on, bu the brake light does. I has only happened twice. I will have it checked whe the repairs get done and my 30K service is coming up. So iI will have them look at it again to be sure.

If yoiu are experiencing some grinding, you got a legitemate brake problem.
I had a similar problem with my Armada LE, I fixed by changing the G force senor/Yaw Rate sensor, this sensor is located under the floor console. If you want to replaced you must remove the entire floor console, and is located at the back end of the front floor console. As Soon as I replaced the unit, the lights turned off, I don't have that problem no more.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,189 Posts
As it turns out, it was my front brakes. (Still cannot figure what that had to do with the VDC Off and SLIP lights! Even though they are not on anymore!)
They replaced the pads and the associated hardware and turned the rotors. It's all good now!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
I just had the problem with the VDC/Slip/Brake lights on my 05 Armada. The dealership in Longwood, Florida looked at my car and indicated it was because of excessive brake wear (my Armada has less than 20,000 miles). They wanted to charge me for a brake job, but I put up a fuss and it was covered under warranty. I mentioned NTB04-066e bulletin. The VDC/Slip/Brake lights only came on when my car was started first thing in the morning, so I assumed it was a sensor issue. Also, I was experiencing brake judder. Thanks for all the posts regarding this problem or I would have been charged over $200 for a known defect.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,985 Posts
deepbluearmada said:
I just had the problem with the VDC/Slip/Brake lights on my 05 Armada. The dealership in Longwood, Florida looked at my car and indicated it was because of excessive brake wear (my Armada has less than 20,000 miles). They wanted to charge me for a brake job, but I put up a fuss and it was covered under warranty. I mentioned NTB04-066e bulletin. The VDC/Slip/Brake lights only came on when my car was started first thing in the morning, so I assumed it was a sensor issue. Also, I was experiencing brake judder. Thanks for all the posts regarding this problem or I would have been charged over $200 for a known defect.
Less than 20,000 miles? I'd take to every service shop in town before paying $0.01. Nice to hear that you got it fixed.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
deepbluearmada said:
Welcome good to have you, post in the member introduction and introduce yourself, hope you have some pictures, we are crazy about pictures. :D

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,189 Posts
Welcome to the club deepbluearmada and yeah, we are picture fiends!

This being as heavy a vehicle as it is can wear down brakes farely fast. Mine was right around 30K and I did look at them before they were done and they were worn. Live and learn!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys, I've been experiencing this issue for the better part of 3 years (I don't drive it frequently and have had to work on several other vehicles). In any case, I have 92k miles on an '04 that I bought new in '05. Is there a definitive fix for this (sensor related?), I know there have been MANY posts about this very subject so I'm wondering what to say when I call Nissan to get them to fix it. I'm hoping this is covered under a TSB or recall but wasn't sure if that's actually a thing. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sidenote, along with Pops I have been on this forum for a very long time but can't seem to recover my original username of "jakmobile".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.