Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a satellite radio system from Best Buy and the mount they gave me was one that fits into the side of the dash all the way to the right. I told them that this is too far for my wife's short hands and that I need something closer. The only other suggestion they gave was a vent mount system but that the heat or cold coming from the vent isn't very good for the receiver. I still think this is the way to go, has anyone istalled a satellite system or i-pod on the vents?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Looney,
I have the vent mount between the wheel & radio. It does block some of the air but the tradeoff is a great visual & control access. Circuit City wired it up thru the dash so no wires are visible. I provided the PIE-LD inline booster & they hardwired to aux input. I don't have the specs handy - you can just do a search.
Jay

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks NorCalJay,

I saw your post and that's exactly where I want it, however the installers at Best Buy tell me that the heat and cold from the vent could damage the receiver. Have you have any problems with that?

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
LOONEY said:
Thanks NorCalJay,

I saw your post and that's exactly where I want it, however the installers at Best Buy tell me that the heat and cold from the vent could damage the receiver. Have you have any problems with that?

Nothing yet. Cold wouldn't be an issue since they get hot, so the heat would if anything but the air circulation probably offsets it. It's really less of an issue than location/wires/signal/power issues. It's also a great location because if I want to remove it there will be no trace left behind.
Jay

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I gave my wife that option too but she didn't like the idea. I think I'm just going to postpone my installation and buy the "bug" which mounts on the dash. What concerns me about that is if the installers were worried about the temperature coming from the vent I'm sure they will have problems with the temperature the dash can get up to in the middle of summer.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
LOONEY said:
Yeah, I gave my wife that option too but she didn't like the idea. I think I'm just going to postpone my installation and buy the "bug" which mounts on the dash. What concerns me about that is if the installers were worried about the temperature coming from the vent I'm sure they will have problems with the temperature the dash can get up to in the middle of summer.
Temp from the vents is BS. I used to install. Stereos are designed to be fine in Canada and Arizona. Below zero temps are colder than any AC and Parking in the sun in Vegas is hotter than any heater temp. I'd be more affraid of my CDs melting before my stereo would have a problem. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts