Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was going to be so easy- test drove all the gorillas in this class (everyone of them) and it was Toyota Sequoia by MANY lengths. Armada not even on radar screen.

THEN- on a lark- test drove Armada- WOW- I can't say the Toy is any less- just different- Armada - more brutish and far better looking AND has the floor mounted shifter instead of every other truck, including Toy, that has the column shifter from my great grandfather's days.

But- guys- come on- how can I choose the Armada with all the s**t about it? I own a fx45 now and I love it but I have gone through several brake "jobs" and the steering wheel shakes violently on rough surfaces. Yet the fX seems infinitely more reliable than the Armada from what I am gathering from this and other boards.

I am nervous about spending most of my time in car in the dealer service lot- otherwise its the Armada over the Toy. Am I being too wimpy here? Help.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You need to understand that the majority of people who post here do so because they have a problem. You almost never hear from anyone who has had no problems because the don't post. Go to any forum and you will the same thing. If you go to a store that services computers you will find that every computer they see has a problem. That doesn't mean that everyone who owns one of those computers is having a problem. Do your research and choose what best suits your needs.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
scr38 said:
You need to understand that the majority of people who post here do so because they have a problem. You almost never hear from anyone who has had no problems because the don't post. Go to any forum and you will the same thing. If you go to a store that services computers you will find that every computer they see has a problem. That doesn't mean that everyone who owns one of those computers is having a problem. Do your research and choose what best suits your needs.
AMEN to that brotha! There are THOUSANDS of Armada owners out there, but why would I or anyone else come on the site to say hey guys....just wanted to let you know my car still has no issues and is still awesome. Okay have a good day. People come on here to ask questions on modifications, issues they have ran into....and stuff like that. Or they come on here to show off something new or cool.

If you buy a late build 04 and on you shouldn't have any issues. My best friend has a Sequoia and it's a little smoother and quieter, but also lacks power and feels kinda boring to drive. To me it feels like a large camry. In the Armada I hear the engine, feel the torque, everything inside is a little larger and truck looking. But it's also a lot harder suspension wise which makes it handle like a much smaller car. You may feel a few more bumps but it's worth it.

Again it's all up to you....don't have others convince you, read everything you can about both cars and see which one fits your needs the best. We all did our studies, test drives, reviews, and chose the Armada for a reason. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Armada was ranked #1 in customer satisfaction above Sequoia and others. The brakes are fixed on all madas made May '05 and newer. The parts to replace brakes made prior are trickling in. I can't think of a reason not to buy it. Also, the TOYota will be replaced in 18 months with a new one and your book value will plummet.
Get the real deal, not the TOY. ;)

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614

BTW, I didn't even consider the Toyota. In order for the ones I considered in preference order after Armada were: QX56, Yukon Denali XL, Suburban, H2, Navigator Ultimate, Escalade(Hate the headlights), Expedition Eddie Bauer, Grand Cherokee Limited, Durango, Touregg, and then Sequoia. Goes down from there. I REALLY don't like TOYotas. Underpowered in every class made and power is the #1 concern for me. Reliability comes in at about 45th or so. Regardless, the study shows the Armadas are probably more relaible than Toyota and new Nissans/Infinitis more than new Toys/Lex. Remember, most reliability studies don't rate the current generation, they rate the last one. And JD Powers rates the Armada/Titan higher for initial quality than the Sequioa/Tundra were when they first came out. Good stuff. I would think Toyota might take the crown back when the next generation comes out in '07 but at that point Nissan will be known as Mr. Quality.

As for power/size, I would compare the Sequoia more to the Durango, Grand Cherokee, Expedtion, than I would the bigger boys. It has a smaller motor, body, tow rating, interior room than any of the big boys and is similar in size and lower in power than the others I just listed. It is truly a 3/4 full size SUV. ;)

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
There is a brake fix, so that shouldn't hold you back. Mine is on order, but the dealer has resurfaced the brakes twice without hesitation while I am waiting on the new kit.

Aside from that, the Armada is by FAR the most exciting to drive, bigger than most, and best looking SUV out there.

The Sequoia is smaller in comparison, looks outdated to me, and can't hold a candle performance wise.

The Armada is also quieter at cruising speed, and shifts much smoother than any other truck out there.

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Until the Armada became available .. the Sequoia was my #1 choice. I would have purchased the '04 Aramada .. but finances didn't cooperate. LOL .. I didn't even know about the brake problems w/the '04 until I found this forum and AFTER I purchased my '05.

I love the Armada .. perfect complement to my Z car ..

I come here to learn from others .. what to watch out for .. and best yet .. see the "bling bling" LOL ... for those that experiment 1st ..

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
yup no problems here, granted we only have 19k on the odometer. we were in the same boat as you and probally a lot of other poeple on this board, sequoia vs armada. our previous suv type vehicle was the highlander. Very nice ride but too small for our growing family...alright who am I bullsh!tting, it was too sissy, sure my wife loved it, had leather, dvd, seat and mirror heaters, so on and so on, but I need torque. that is were the sequia lacked and size was the other area it lacked. let's be honest do I want to buy and SUV? or a SUV pretender? do I hit the streets in something unique? or do I look like every other soccermom and *boom, shaka-laka, boom, with my brim turned sideways* punk wanna be gangsta? hell no I want to own these streets, I command respect with my big ass armada, and that is also why the wife won't let me drive it :(

the point being is all manufacturers have there problems if you like the truck better go for it, not all of them have problems.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I had my Armada since Dec '04. 17K miles already. Yes, I had the brake problem too but that was reasonably fixed within 4 hours and the dealership was awesome. I was VERY close to getting the Sequoia. Was a toss up between that and the Yukon. Just after sitting in the Armada, I was very impressed with the stylish interior. The ride on long trips is just very comfortable. I'm also becoming a "lead foot" -- power in the Armada is really something! (dont ask me about my mpg --- haha!)

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
You can get a good SUV or a bad SUV from any manufacturer. Just about every company has some assembly line problems or supplier quality problems in the first year of a new model run. That was '04 for us, and should be behind us now.

But . . . I took a chance and bought my '04 a little over a year ago and could not be happier. It has never been back to the dealer. Never. Not one problem. Nothing. It is close to 20,000 trouble free miles now. No brake judder, no problems of any kind.

And I tow an 8,000 lb. trailer.

And I run it hard. I have probably posted more here about performance than just about anyone - 0-60, 1/4 mile times, accelerometer runs, posted horsepower and torque numbers, etc.

I can't think of any other SUV which is so versatile, so well-rounded. So competent in everything. It does more things better than any other SUV out there. It's just wonderful.

Oh, did I mention, I like it.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
I have an 05 LE and I am one of the ones with no probs yet we have 6k on the odometer and no rattles. So its all up to you.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
I have the Armada and FX45....both are reliable!!!! Even with the brake problem on the Armada, I still enjoy the vehicle. I feel the Armada is just the perfect size, smaller than an XL, larger than the regular size Yukon. Power is great.

You need to find a RoadForce balancer for the FX if the wheel shake like you said, the wheels are def. off balance. Or at least get them rebalanced. Had my rotors turned and brake pads replaced only because I drive it hard.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
aznwrr said:
I have the Armada and FX45....both are reliable!!!! Even with the brake problem on the Armada, I still enjoy the vehicle. I feel the Armada is just the perfect size, smaller than an XL, larger than the regular size Yukon. Power is great.

You need to find a RoadForce balancer for the FX if the wheel shake like you said, the wheels are def. off balance. Or at least get them rebalanced. Had my rotors turned and brake pads replaced only because I drive it hard.

Yeah- I am thinking I went all through this break shudder and rough ride in the fx45 and you know what- I LOVE that car. It's that good- I mean how much better does it get than that test.

So I am thinking the same thing about the Mada. When I read the owner reviews so many say even with the problems they love the car. I test drove the Seq. and Armada again and, for me, there is the visceral thrill of the Mada that is absolutely stunning for this bloated beast. The Sequoia has a better ride, is much more refined- and is, for me, a sterile bore. BTW- under brutally humid conditions and with the air blasting the Mada tore, I mean bolted, up a steep hill. The Sequoia, which is quick on flat surfaces, just died up the same hill. I mean it was gulping for air.

Now I wonder if I should keep the fX and add the Mada to the list.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Late 04 owner here with about 5K on the clock...been waiting for all of these problems I read about....very good point about the fact you seldom hear from the folks without problems, other than on sites like this where we also share a lot of ideas and knowledge..well, I come here for knowledge and don't contribute that much...but maybe someday someone will come up with something I've found a fix for...the whole purpose of this thing...we're in it together and having a blast with this great beast of an SUV...go ahead and grab one of your own and join us..you may have a few little problems, like every vehicle does, but you'll have a lot more fun than with any of the other ones you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
palerider said:
Yeah- I am thinking I went all through this break shudder and rough ride in the fx45 and you know what- I LOVE that car. It's that good- I mean how much better does it get than that test.

So I am thinking the same thing about the Mada. When I read the owner reviews so many say even with the problems they love the car. I test drove the Seq. and Armada again and, for me, there is the visceral thrill of the Mada that is absolutely stunning for this bloated beast. The Sequoia has a better ride, is much more refined- and is, for me, a sterile bore. BTW- under brutally humid conditions and with the air blasting the Mada tore, I mean bolted, up a steep hill. The Sequoia, which is quick on flat surfaces, just died up the same hill. I mean it was gulping for air.

Now I wonder if I should keep the fX and add the Mada to the list.
No problems here. Mada has higher Initial quality than Sequoia from JD powers. Skip the TOY, get out of the Juniors section, and get a full size from the men's section.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
The Armada is the best SUV offering out there, regardless of the minor issues.

I took my Armada in for brakes no less than 8 times, and finally (after threatening lemon law) they put the permanent fix on. You will LOVE your brakes after this fix- I have no more brake dust, and the brakes are smoother than any vehicle I have owned. They finally got it right! The new models should have these new parts.

For those needing repair, I guess they're still ramping up production- the Nissan engineer I spoke with at the time my repair said they actually went to a new parts supplier for their brake parts. You can imagine how busy those guys are- having to retrofit thousands of vehicles with new parts! Not to mention the R/D and testing phase Nissan had to go through to make sure the "fix" actually worked. He did indicate that they are putting the parts on the production line vehicles first, and then previous owners get their fix. Sucks for those of us who already have purchased, but it makes sense for Nissan.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
8100 miles and took my mada in today for the first surface of the rotor. They actually had two kits on site and stated that they could probably pull a set and have it put on my truck. He sd theres a lot of people in line waiting but he can work mine in. I was like wow, I didnt even ask cause I know theres a ton of owners waiting. I told the guy to forget it and just do the surface. I told him its nice but felt it would be cheating the other guys out who have had the problem before me. I dont know if that was smart but I know that Nissan is standing by the issue and getting it fixed. The truck has more power than any other SUV I've tested and I mainly went for the interior space to be honest. I'm only 5'9" @185lbs and feel like I'm swimming in it. When I step into the yukon, Toyo Seq, Suburbs, i feel really crammed, and even at my size. I just love the truck, keep in mind forums bring out the worse of the worse when it comes to issues. If you can find a forum on any SUV that has no specific topics of issues with whatever, then please post it. That may convince me that the mada isnt the best around

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
My Armada has not been all chits and gigles

I am one of those guys that has had it with their Armada. My AC sucks bad when its 90 degrees and higher. It wont cool at all blows mid 60's at idle and 60 when moving. My drivers window still rattles after the TSB. My rear hatch will not open itself period. And I havge been promised the REAL brake fix since Febuary from Nissan. A year is long enough for me. This is pretty pathetic for a new vehicle in my view. Hope you guys have better luck than I am having. Im not going put up with this any longer than I have to. Its buy back time for me.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
I bought my '04 last July. I knew buying it that I may have to keep taking it back to work the kinks out because it was the first year for the Armada. I have to say I love my truck and I would buy it again despite the little problems I've been back and forth to the dealer for.

All in all, it's a beautiful truck that is a pleasure to drive - me for the styling, my husband for the power. He has a 2500 Chevy Avalanche and I can take him at the line :D

BUY THE ARMADA - YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT! :)

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
What year is your FX? O3 and some 04 have stiffer springs than the current ones is what I m told. I like the stiffer ride. The earlier models are a hair quicker in the 1/4 mile due to the suspension.

I got my new rotors and pads 2 days ago. I thought they were going to turn the rotors for a second time but service called me and told me they installed the new rotors.

Took it on the beach in N.C. last week. Had no problems going through the sand with stock tires and I didnt even air down. I am impressed with the stock Armada.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts