Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey owners of the Volant CAI!!

I installed my Volant a few weeks ago and I love the thing. I considered ordering the scoop but it was over $125 for a piece of plastic. Has anyone tried removing the cap on the Volant airbox and leaving it open. Would this increase air flow? Sounds to me like it would breath better. Even yet, has anyone tried fitting some flexible PVC hose on the end of the tube and tying it somewhere below the radiator? Anyone with ingenuity try anything that we non mechanically inclined can try? I hate spending $125 but the ad says increased mpg on the highway due to the ram effect.

Any comments out there? This topic really just came to me when I was installing gutter drain off tubes. You've seen them....black or green hose with a square funnel at the end.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Leaving the cap off is a bad idea. This would allow hot air in, defeating the purpose of the CAI. Adding the "ram" tube won't do anything for you, unless you drive at about 100 MPH all the time. Even then any added boost couldn't be noticed. Save your money; or use it for another mod.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Follow up on CAI lid dampening...etc.

Hey doc...haven't tried that. Thought about it and had the same thoughts about the ram air, but truly don't hold much on the impact of it. The argument with the flex pvc would be increased resistance with the corregation I am sure. And I personally think it would look kinda funny without the left toe hook, should one decide to go ram air?

Anyway...I got some Dynamat from an audio place today and lined the underside of the aluminum lid and the side of the box closest to the firewall. This stuff is a trip...basically just a thin layer of flexible tar with adhesive on the back and aluminum heat shield stuff on the outer layer. Kind of a rip off for $30 and you only get 2 10"x10" pieces. But I thought I would give it a try and preliminarily it seems to have cured the upper end "singing". It still roars, don't get me wrong...but it seems to have muffled the "tenor" sound that is present around 3500-4000 rpm. My truck seems to have learned the new intake/exhaust rather well...b/c it pulls like a MULE when you hit 2nd up thru 4th. I checked my milage in town after playing around like I do sometimes, and I got 10.xx mpg. ;-) Oh well...when it gets empy...I put gas in it. LOL

Best of luck,

ST

GasDoc said:

I installed my Volant a few weeks ago and I love the thing. I considered ordering the scoop but it was over $125 for a piece of plastic. Has anyone tried removing the cap on the Volant airbox and leaving it open. Would this increase air flow? Sounds to me like it would breath better. Even yet, has anyone tried fitting some flexible PVC hose on the end of the tube and tying it somewhere below the radiator? Anyone with ingenuity try anything that we non mechanically inclined can try? I hate spending $125 but the ad says increased mpg on the highway due to the ram effect.

Any comments out there? This topic really just came to me when I was installing gutter drain off tubes. You've seen them....black or green hose with a square funnel at the end.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
gr8titan has some neat stuff. I got my wheel/tire combo from him but with bigger tires. Good guy, good mod! ;)

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
I just purchased the Volant and the plastic ram for $414.00 delivered. I think I should have a good indication of any MPG increase due to my weekly commute between AZ an CA. I have averaged 15.3 MPG over multiple trips while maintaining about 80 mph in CA and 85 mph in AZ. I have recently replaced the engine oil and rear dif with Royal Purple and in 2 days will be changing the Transmission oil at the dealership. I hope synthetic is available. Royal Purple does not make compatible oil for the Nissan Armada at this time or I would have used it.
Volant claims a 1 to 2 MPG with the listed set up. I will check this claim soon and repost with the results.

How I figure it:
At 2-MPG improvement I will save 3.14 or $6.90 at and average price of $2.20 per gallon, per each 400-mile trip. This means I must make 60 trips or travel 24,000 miles to pay for the set up.

After looking at these figures I sure hope it at least looks cool…lol

sit'

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Volant Gen3 Scoop

GasDoc said:

I just installed the Volant, purchased the scoop but did not install as I was told it really would NOT benefit me unless I was always screaming down the highway. I am going to return for my $125.00. The problem I am having with the Volant is the Vibration that I did NOT have with the Airaid Unit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.