Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wssher fluid was low. Warning light came on. I filled up with bug and anti freeze washer fluid. The warning light kept coming on still after a minute every time I drove. I read about methanol causing the electronic sensor to stop working. I drained the fluid and refilled with regular blue water fluid and the light hasn't come on since. Just wanted to share because it was driving me crazy to have a warning light for no reason and it took me awhile to figure that out. No more methanol in the washer fluid!

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Thanks for the tip (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2004 QX56
44 Posts
Wssher fluid was low. Warning light came on. I filled up with bug and anti freeze washer fluid. The warning light kept coming on still after a minute every time I drove. I read about methanol causing the electronic sensor to stop working. I drained the fluid and refilled with regular blue water fluid and the light hasn't come on since. Just wanted to share because it was driving me crazy to have a warning light for no reason and it took me awhile to figure that out. No more methanol in the washer fluid!
if you mash the peddle from a stop the light goes away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank you so much. I will try the fluid change. I have been having this problem for the last few months and it is so irritating.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. I will try the fluid change. I have been having this problem for the last few months and it is so irritating.
I have been having a hard time finding the right fluid again. Water makes the light go away. There is a Nissan washer fluid that the manual calls for but it's hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Most windshield washer fluids contains methyl alcohol, aka methanol. Others even with ethanol to keep the fluid from freezing. Nissan’s washer fluid is no different because they don’t even produce their own fluids in the first place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most windshield washer fluids contains methyl alcohol, aka methanol. Others even with ethanol to keep the fluid from freezing. Nissan’s washer fluid is no different because they don’t even produce their own fluids in the first place.
Some fluids trip the low fluid light, and some don't. Water doesn't trip it either. Still trying to figure out what works best. Do we all just have bad sensors that work only with just water?

·
Registered
9 Posts
None in New Hampshire had it. They can order it but I was frustrated when they did an oil change and caused my light to come back on when they put generic washer fluid back in.
It is a rather strange problem to be honest. Nissan ought to deal with this issue. I’m all the way in Djibouti working on a project so I have limited dealer services so tend to rely on friends who are mechanics. If I had not seen your post, we were going to take things apart to look for the problem which would have been a wasted effort. So once again I really appreciate that you shared your exprience.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Some fluids trip the low fluid light, and some don't. Water doesn't trip it either. Still trying to figure out what works best. Do we all just have bad sensors that work only with just water?
I can’t speak for “all” but I had a 04 LE that I drove for 11 years and tacked on 207K miles. A fellow forum member bought the truck and he’s closing in on 300K miles and still the same windshield washer sensor.

Since you had used one of those bug cleaning washer fluids, it may have begun to gum up the level or the motor itself. Those types of fluids are known to use additives that makes removing bug residues much easier but can become gel-like inside the pump itself.

It isn’t too difficult to remove the windshield washer tank and thoroughly flush it under running water just to rule out any clogs in the motor/tank. Also a good time to check the connector and the sensor too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can’t speak for “all” but I had a 04 LE that I drove for 11 years and tacked on 207K miles. A fellow forum member bought the truck and he’s closing in on 300K miles and still the same windshield washer sensor.

Since you had used one of those bug cleaning washer fluids, it may have begun to gum up the level or the motor itself. Those types of fluids are known to use additives that makes removing bug residues much easier but can become gel-like inside the pump itself.

It isn’t too difficult to remove the windshield washer tank and thoroughly flush it under running water just to rule out any clogs in the motor/tank. Also a good time to check the connector and the sensor too.
Tks for the additional tip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts