Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wssher fluid was low. Warning light came on. I filled up with bug and anti freeze washer fluid. The warning light kept coming on still after a minute every time I drove. I read about methanol causing the electronic sensor to stop working. I drained the fluid and refilled with regular blue water fluid and the light hasn't come on since. Just wanted to share because it was driving me crazy to have a warning light for no reason and it took me awhile to figure that out. No more methanol in the washer fluid!

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Thanks for the tip (y)(y)(y)

·
Registered
2004 QX56
48 Posts
Wssher fluid was low. Warning light came on. I filled up with bug and anti freeze washer fluid. The warning light kept coming on still after a minute every time I drove. I read about methanol causing the electronic sensor to stop working. I drained the fluid and refilled with regular blue water fluid and the light hasn't come on since. Just wanted to share because it was driving me crazy to have a warning light for no reason and it took me awhile to figure that out. No more methanol in the washer fluid!
if you mash the peddle from a stop the light goes away.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much. I will try the fluid change. I have been having this problem for the last few months and it is so irritating.
I have been having a hard time finding the right fluid again. Water makes the light go away. There is a Nissan washer fluid that the manual calls for but it's hard to find.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Most windshield washer fluids contains methyl alcohol, aka methanol. Others even with ethanol to keep the fluid from freezing. Nissan’s washer fluid is no different because they don’t even produce their own fluids in the first place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Most windshield washer fluids contains methyl alcohol, aka methanol. Others even with ethanol to keep the fluid from freezing. Nissan’s washer fluid is no different because they don’t even produce their own fluids in the first place.
Some fluids trip the low fluid light, and some don't. Water doesn't trip it either. Still trying to figure out what works best. Do we all just have bad sensors that work only with just water?

·
Registered
9 Posts
None in New Hampshire had it. They can order it but I was frustrated when they did an oil change and caused my light to come back on when they put generic washer fluid back in.
It is a rather strange problem to be honest. Nissan ought to deal with this issue. I’m all the way in Djibouti working on a project so I have limited dealer services so tend to rely on friends who are mechanics. If I had not seen your post, we were going to take things apart to look for the problem which would have been a wasted effort. So once again I really appreciate that you shared your exprience.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Some fluids trip the low fluid light, and some don't. Water doesn't trip it either. Still trying to figure out what works best. Do we all just have bad sensors that work only with just water?
I can’t speak for “all” but I had a 04 LE that I drove for 11 years and tacked on 207K miles. A fellow forum member bought the truck and he’s closing in on 300K miles and still the same windshield washer sensor.

Since you had used one of those bug cleaning washer fluids, it may have begun to gum up the level or the motor itself. Those types of fluids are known to use additives that makes removing bug residues much easier but can become gel-like inside the pump itself.

It isn’t too difficult to remove the windshield washer tank and thoroughly flush it under running water just to rule out any clogs in the motor/tank. Also a good time to check the connector and the sensor too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can’t speak for “all” but I had a 04 LE that I drove for 11 years and tacked on 207K miles. A fellow forum member bought the truck and he’s closing in on 300K miles and still the same windshield washer sensor.

Since you had used one of those bug cleaning washer fluids, it may have begun to gum up the level or the motor itself. Those types of fluids are known to use additives that makes removing bug residues much easier but can become gel-like inside the pump itself.

It isn’t too difficult to remove the windshield washer tank and thoroughly flush it under running water just to rule out any clogs in the motor/tank. Also a good time to check the connector and the sensor too.
Tks for the additional tip.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Thank you for posting this, never had a problem with our 08, but the first time I added washer fluid to the new one that light was driving me looney tunes, I’ll be draining that orange stuff out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for posting this, never had a problem with our 08, but the first time I added washer fluid to the new one that light was driving me looney tunes, I’ll be draining that orange stuff out!
It seems now that anything with methanol or ethanol messes with the light. One tech told me it was the bug fluid or rainx that ruins the sensor. I use summer washer fluid in it now. Works fine, but now I have to make sure I only live in warm climates...which is fine with me!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you Man, I will give it a try!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for posting. I just had my Armada maintenanced & the dealership told me there was no way to disconnect any wires or turn off the annoying fluid light unless I had the entire fluid tank replaced for $700! 😳 I’ll try what you did & see if that works. Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting. I just had my Armada maintenanced & the dealership told me there was no way to disconnect any wires or turn off the annoying fluid light unless I had the entire fluid tank replaced for $700! 😳 I’ll try what you did & see if that works. Thanks again!
UPDATE: Three days ago we removed the sensor, cleaned it, placed it back on and used dielectric grease on the connection. The light has not been on since! The tank is full of ethanol-containing washer fluid. Since I live in Utah, my 2017 Platinum must have the anti-freeze fluid during these arctic winters. I sure hope this helps someone! FWIW, if a person wanted to just replace the sensor, a new one can be purchased on parts.nissan.com for just $29.49.

·
Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: Three days ago we removed the sensor, cleaned it, placed it back on and used dielectric grease on the connection. The light has not been on since! The tank is full of ethanol-containing washer fluid. Since I live in Utah, my 2017 Platinum must have the anti-freeze fluid during these arctic winters. I sure hope this helps someone! FWIW, if a person wanted to just replace the sensor, a new one can be purchased on parts.nissan.com for just $29.49.
Hello Platinum Standards,
My 2017 fluid was low, filled with basic blue and then basic blue/with water. Warning will not clear, how do I get to tank on 2017? It looks his on fender well. Any ideas, tricks, schematics appreciated- thanks Malcolm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Platinum Standards,
My 2017 fluid was low, filled with basic blue and then basic blue/with water. Warning will not clear, how do I get to tank on 2017? It looks his on fender well. Any ideas, tricks, schematics appreciated- thanks Malcolm
Hi Malcolm!
The right front wheel needs to be removed. Once that's off, there is a wheel well liner that comes out with removal of some clips/fasteners. Some of these are the plastic plug type clips which technically you need a special tool to remove. However, a savvy person can remove them with a flat head screw driver or buy some replacements pretty much anywhere basic car parts are sold (no need for OEM). Once the liner is off, peek up in there and you'll see the washer fluid tank. The sensor is in a hole near the bottom of the tank and held in by an o-ring - you can wiggle/pop it right out. If your tank has fluid in it, just place a bucket under the tank before popping the cork - no sense in wasting $2 of washer fluid LOL (maybe that's just me?)! Cleaning the sensor off well with a rag worked fine. The back of the sensor plugs in to a wiring harness - that's where the dielectric grease was used.
The location of this whole contraption is tucked up in there where it shouldn't get too gunked up, but it does get some gunk accumulation over time. Looking back to when the problem arose for me, I believe it was shortly after the first big snowfall. Road grime & salt from the freeway may have been the culprit. ?? Fingers crossed over here that it continues to work well. Best of luck to you!! Please let me know how it goes 😊

1 - 20 of 25 Posts