Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
Hi Malcolm!
The right front wheel needs to be removed. Once that's off, there is a wheel well liner that comes out with removal of some clips/fasteners. Some of these are the plastic plug type clips which technically you need a special tool to remove. However, a savvy person can remove them with a flat head screw driver or buy some replacements pretty much anywhere basic car parts are sold (no need for OEM). Once the liner is off, peek up in there and you'll see the washer fluid tank. The sensor is in a hole near the bottom of the tank and held in by an o-ring - you can wiggle/pop it right out. If your tank has fluid in it, just place a bucket under the tank before popping the cork - no sense in wasting $2 of washer fluid LOL (maybe that's just me?)! Cleaning the sensor off well with a rag worked fine. The back of the sensor plugs in to a wiring harness - that's where the dielectric grease was used.
The location of this whole contraption is tucked up in there where it shouldn't get too gunked up, but it does get some gunk accumulation over time. Looking back to when the problem arose for me, I believe it was shortly after the first big snowfall. Road grime & salt from the freeway may have been the culprit. ?? Fingers crossed over here that it continues to work well. Best of luck to you!! Please let me know how it goes 馃槉
Hi Malcolm!
The right front wheel needs to be removed. Once that's off, there is a wheel well liner that comes out with removal of some clips/fasteners. Some of these are the plastic plug type clips which technically you need a special tool to remove. However, a savvy person can remove them with a flat head screw driver or buy some replacements pretty much anywhere basic car parts are sold (no need for OEM). Once the liner is off, peek up in there and you'll see the washer fluid tank. The sensor is in a hole near the bottom of the tank and held in by an o-ring - you can wiggle/pop it right out. If your tank has fluid in it, just place a bucket under the tank before popping the cork - no sense in wasting $2 of washer fluid LOL (maybe that's just me?)! Cleaning the sensor off well with a rag worked fine. The back of the sensor plugs in to a wiring harness - that's where the dielectric grease was used.
The location of this whole contraption is tucked up in there where it shouldn't get too gunked up, but it does get some gunk accumulation over time. Looking back to when the problem arose for me, I believe it was shortly after the first big snowfall. Road grime & salt from the freeway may have been the culprit. ?? Fingers crossed over here that it continues to work well. Best of luck to you!! Please let me know how it goes 馃槉
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I actually was preparing to do this when I read that someone else flushed their tank. I did this and it seems to have worked. I pumped out my tank and filled with hot boiling water with some Dawn dish detergent. I let it sit for a few minutes and actually ran some through the system. I pumped this out and refilled with prob 50/50 Walmart brand fluid/H20. I was skeptical of buying the Rain-X with additives and there are different views on diluting. I live in Southwest VA and do see freezing temps but hopefully won鈥檛 see any issues. Anyways thanks again for your time this forum has been so much help. Best to you & thanks again! (p.s. next weekend I will hopefully find out why my passenger seat heater cuts off after 1 minute)

Premium Member
Hi Malcolm!
I always thought this issue was caused by whatever they put in the orange stuff? Most winter blends have ethanol.

I have been running Rain-X orange since 2007 and luckily have not had any issues. But in my BMW I only run the BMW stuff as things are a lot more expense on that car.

Thanks for the instructions!

Registered
Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. I actually was preparing to do this when I read that someone else flushed their tank. I did this and it seems to have worked. I pumped out my tank and filled with hot boiling water with some Dawn dish detergent. I let it sit for a few minutes and actually ran some through the system. I pumped this out and refilled with prob 50/50 Walmart brand fluid/H20. I was skeptical of buying the Rain-X with additives and there are different views on diluting. I live in Southwest VA and do see freezing temps but hopefully won鈥檛 see any issues. Anyways thanks again for your time this forum has been so much help. Best to you & thanks again! (p.s. next weekend I will hopefully find out why my passenger seat heater cuts off after 1 minute)
I always thought this issue was caused by whatever they put in the orange stuff? Most winter blends have ethanol.

I have been running Rain-X orange since 2007 and luckily have not had any issues. But in my BMW I only run the BMW stuff as things are a lot more expense on that car.

Thanks for the instructions!
I'll be running the orange stuff after the blue runs out. Wouldn't it be strange if there's some Nissan sensor glitch brought out by the orange stuff? I have used it for years in various vehicles, an Audi Q7 right before this Armada. How many people have had an Audi without a single check engine light for years, then a Nissan with repeated enigmatic lights and issues?! LOL Best of luck!

Premium Member
I鈥檝e seen posts online (for BMW) where the orange stuff gunks up the sensor.
There are actually 2 RainX formulas which look exactly the same and both are orange. I forgot what the two are but think one was the issue.

Registered
I have a 2019 and I emptied the tank and replaced with water but it alert came back on. I'm going to just buy a sensor and replace it. Too much trouble to get to
and just clean it and hope that fixes it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts