Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes .. I'm posting a question about washing your Armada ..
I did search for "wash"; "washing" ...

For those of you who wash their own vehicle .. what tool do you use to wash the roof? IE .. long handle w/brush attachment? long handle w/sponge attachement? mop attachment?

Running water within the brush/mop/sponge??

What do you use to dry? long handle w/CA blade? Chamois or Absorber or Microfiber towels??

And finally waxing? How do you wax the roof?? Or do you??

Just interested in learn' various techniques ...

Thanks ...

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
It is actually a good question, I also wonder what is the best tool to be able to reach the roof when washing it, even the windshield is hard to reach for some of us. :cool:

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I just use a ladder and lean over to get the roof and windshield... I have used a long handled brush...best ones I've seen are at boating stores....

I do the same when waxing the vehicle.....just use the ladder and lean over...dont always do the roof everytime I wax the vehicle, but i should.... :clever:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I just open the door and step up on the floor of the cab and reach. Of course I am almost 6'5"... ;)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Yeah, I'm 6'5 too and I just step on the side rails and the rear bumper. It's a pain to wax up there!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Washing/waxing

I'm of modest height and have no difficulty reaching the roof...just open the doors and stand on the floor. Use the step on the rear bumper for the tail end and use the roof rails as grips to step up onto the rear tires to reach the roof over the 3rd seat. My neighbors are watching and hoping for a spectacular fall but so far I have been able to disappoint them.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
I step from the running boards and stand up on top of the rear tire, I can reach the back half of the roof pretty good from that point. I use an old style welded wire milk crate to stand on to get the front half.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Ditto for standing on all parts of the 'Mada. I'm 6-3 and use a step ladder a lot to reach over and do the roof though. I'm tall enough that I can reach over from the ladder. Keeps me dryer than standing on the running boards or tires, which might not matter in the summer but does in the spring up here in the Pacific NW corner. As for drying, I highly recommend micro fiber towels - get a big bunch at Costco for cheap. They work much easier than a Chamois. As for waxing, I am going to stick with Meguiars. I have seen some sites where people describe their detailing steps and all I can say is I wish I had that much spare time to kill! :machinegu

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
wash

I am 5'6" and I try to use a stool, but usually dont feel like moving it all around so I can reach all parts of the roof by standing on the running board hitting the front then step to the rear tire and reach the rest of it, then do the same on the other side. when polishing it I step on the rear tire but stand up through the sunroof, to do the front section.
also I bought Zaino car wash product as I seen good review and its pretty good stuff I would recommend it but the only two things you need are the Z2 and the Z5 definatly not the spray stuff dont remmber the number like Z6 or something but it smears the nice clear look after Z2 polish .
also I have never found a brush that I owuld use on my paint. be carefull not to scratch it even if it is on top..

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Towel Guidelines I use.

Towel Guidelines
I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels Large White Bath Size for washing, drying and polishing. I don't like sponges natural or synthetic or any wash mits, since they all can scratch.

Another great tip is to use a Toro 210mph Electric leaf blower. Dries your car in about 5 minutes.... without even touching the paint surface....

I prefer high quality name brand 100% Cotton Towels to dry the car. Chamois or the Absorber and especially the Water Blade are flat and could trap a piece of dirt and scratch the paint finish. Towels have nap and are much safer and forgiving. Even if it were to pickup a piece of dirt, the nap would cushion it.

Again Towels must be name brand high quality 100% Made in USA.

You must use only white. Not colored towels..... colored towels are not to be used because the dye leaves a chemical residue on the paint finish. Always wash your towels first before using. Use Liquid detergent and rinse twice.

When washing your towels. Only use Liquid detergent such as All or Tide, etc. Do not use Bleach, Powdered Detergents or any kind of fabric softener. They will leave a chemical residue on the towels which will transfer to your paint finish. Make sure to run rinse cycle twice to remove all detergent.

You should cut the selvages (borders) off the perimeter of the towels. This selvage contains nylon and polyester stitching that could possibly scratch your paint finish. The towels will fray a little once this is done. But it's better to play it safe.

Drying the towels on high heat will make them hold a static charge. I use the regular heat setting and remove them a little damp and let them air dry. You can fluff the towel real good when it's dry to make it softer.

As the towels get older they will lose there nap and absorbency and will have to be replaced.

Where to buy towels........

Some name brands make a lower quality version of their towels for K-Mart, Walmart and other big discount chains. These towels say 100% Cotton but that is not, totally true. The nap is 100% cotton but the backing material has polyester blend in it. So if you press a little to hard on the towel you can get some fine scratches or swirls. The point I'm trying to make is a lower quality towel is selling in a discount store for $6.00 or less (approximately) it is not the good stuff. I buy all my high quality towels at stores like Linens and Things and Bed, Bath and Beyond. I pay anywhere from $10 to $20 per towel.

These are the real deal. I buy about 3 or 4 towels and they usually last me about a year.

As far as the top of the vehicle, Mcguier's makes an excellent soft bristle brush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts