Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While installing my WeatherTeck window air deflectors, I sliced the drivers door outside sill. It's metal covered in rubber and cuts easily.

My suggestion is to put a small piece of duct tape on the section near the mirror. This is where the WeatherTech product comes into contact and will slice and dice if your not careful. Even if you are careful, it doesn't take much to cut the cheese... I mean the rubber.

I put duct tape on the passenger side and didn't have a problem. It removes easily after install.

:)

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
air deflectors

:confused: Are you talking about the in-channel vent visors? If that is what you're talking about let me thank you because I wasn't sure which ones to buy. I don't trust the tape ones but if you think they are better, let me know... and these in-channel I'm not so sure :confused: . Also, have you checked them lately to see if the wind presure haven't ripped the plastic that you mention? Please let me know because I'm about to get them.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the "in-channel" WeatherTech wind deflectors are the ones I'm talking about. From everything I've read most people seem to think they are superior to the ones that use tape. I've never used the ones with tape so I can't give you my opinion.

However, I can tell you that once the WeatherTech in-channels are installed they are rock solid. The also perform very well. It just so happens that my little corner of the World had a weather front, mostly rain, move in last night. So, I've been able to slightly roll the windows down and see if any rain makes it in. So far so good.

The outside weather sill area that I sliced during install is doing fine. It is actually covered up by the wind deflectors. Just to make sure it stays down I will be putting a dab of some type of adhesive on the cut. It's not bad enough that I want to spend the money to replace it. Just make sure you put the duct tape down on the sill before you install. If you do that you shouldn't have any problems.

Tim

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
Did you get the clear ones or the tinted ones??? If the tinted -- do you find your visibility by the A frame affected??

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
EightmanVT said:
Did you get the clear ones or the tinted ones??? If the tinted -- do you find your visibility by the A frame affected??
somewhat but not too bad with the light tint...don't get the dark I think it would another 1.5" of blind spot along side of the 1' that exist there now :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
EightmanVT said:
can you post a pic of your Armada with them installed? I'm still in debate mode on which to get. Thanks
here you go

Attachments

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok... here is an update on my Weathrflector woes.

They worked very well for several days and I was pleased with the look and function. But, after very little use I began to have problems with them.

Both the drivers side and passenger side Weatherflectors began to block the windows from going up. The drivers side was actually the worst. It would totally block the window from going up all of the way. The passengers side would just clip the glass as it was going up.

I contacted MacNeil Automotive and they advised me to take them out and re-install. They wanted me to re-install a different way than their original instructions had stated. During re-install I was supposed to raise the window until there was a two finger gap. Then I was to install from back to front and raise the window only once and let sit for 2-3 days. While I had them out they wanted me to check if the retention plastic was cracked or broken. If it was they would send me out another set.

Well, after removing them I found both sides had broken plastic on the rear most section. This damage to the plastic had to have happend when the window was rolled up. I don't believe it happened during install, since I would have heard the crack of breaking plastic.

I called MacNeil Automotive to let them know what I found. I told them that I thought they should have put some double sided tape in the rear corner to hold the position better. They disagreed, and felt that the flex pressure alone was enough to keep the fronts in. Maybe so, but not in my case. They did offer to send another pair out. I decided against that and told them I would be sending them back for a refund. No problem so far. I got the feeling that this isn't the first time this issue has arisen.

I guess I'll investigate the stick-on ones a little more. I didn't want to go that route, but that is where I'm heading. I don't want to deal with the Weathertechs breaking in my window channel again.

Does anbody have input on the stick-on type weatherflectors, other than they are ugly?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
163 Posts
I purchased my in-channel (dark tinted) vent visors from www.weathertech.com. My first set broke on installation, so they sent a second set out for free (no returns or anything). So far so good, save a few minor gripes.

I managed to cut into my rubber window "cheese" as well, even though these came with thick tape attached to the bottom, but the scratch isn't visible, so no biggie I guess.

If this is normal for in-channels, tell me, but mine make a terrible noise when I roll my windows up. I've actually noticed a few scratches on my front windows at the top...

My last complaint isn't really for the visors themselves... My front windows keep messing up (not rolling up at all, getting stuck, etc.), and Nissan has decided to blame my in-channel visors for some reason (How something attached to the top of the window keeps the window stuck at the bottom is beyond me).

Anyway, the set I purchased looks great and serves its purpose. Wouldn't go without a set.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
OffRoadinArmada
Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums
Club Armada is the premier Nissan Armada forum! Here you can discuss and review your favorite SUV with fellow owners.
Full Forum Listing