Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm embarassed to post it here but I figure enough of you guys (and gals) visit the other sites where I've posted the request for help, that I might as well post here too and hope someone has a possible solution/thought on how to trouble shoot this.

I ran some USB/firewire/audio/video and power wires this weekend and didn't hook anything up to a power source. I had the center floor console apart and ran wires out under the NAV unit under the passenger seat. I took the drivers and passenger seats out to get easier access. I also ran a 12ga wire through the hood release fire wall port. Before I did anything with the seats I unhooked the neg on the battery. After I had the wires going I put the seats back and hooked the battery back up so I could slide them forward and run the cables the rest of the way to the back end.....well this took some time and when I went to start it barely turned over and it had to be jumped (I had the doors open to long I guess).

Anyway I now have the VDC OFF, SLIP, ABS and Brake light lit up on the dash. My navigation now only shows the vehicle sitting in one place and spinning around as I turn. My trip odo doesn't register on the dash nor the NAV, and I noticed this morning that the speedometer doesn't work now either. I'm guess it has something to do with the speed sensor but can't figure out how I could of done something that would F' it up????? I guess it's possible I could of damaged a wire when I was threading the wires out under the console, I did trim a piece of plastic but thought I was being careful and no wire were below where I cut. The other thing I need to look to see if I could of knoced something loose in the engine compartment when I fished the wire through the firewall.

Any ideas where to start looking? is there a fuse possibly? I've tried unhooking the battery completely for 30 minutes and still get the same problem. Anyone know where this M24 harness is? I will try and check for continuity if I can find this harness that way I should be able to determine if the VSS wire is the culprit and I need to tear the console apart....again...

SCR8 gave a suggestion on resetting the SES light which I'll give a shot tonight and if that don't work unhook the battery overnight, but I think my problem is electrical.

On another f'up I put a switch in the front bin cover behind the shifter....don't do it! Put it on the passenger side as the shifter gate slides back and hits the switch so I couldn't shift past about neutral:(. Lukily the cover is only about $10....I hope the part is correct because the alternative part is like $50. :airhead:

Good news is I'm not racking up any miles right now, bad news I'm getting 0mpg :teeth:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I've got a VW Phaeton and a number of us Phaeton owners get inside the car's computer to reset preferences other than fatory settings as well as to check the faults.

One of the biggest reasons for getting a fault to show up is letting the battery get too low while we are making the changes. Hence we have been advised to leave the engine running while we dabble into areas we shouldn't.

It may be that your battery got so low that a number of faults are now showing up in the on-board computer diagnostics. It seems like a low battery can cause a fault even if disconnecting the battery won't.

If that's the case, then a trip to the dealer to get them to reset everything might be in order. Could be that nothing is wrong that a reset might not fix.

Just a thought.

Allen

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Hmmmm. Could be that somewhere along the line you did nick a wire that ran the battery down, but my experience with that sort of thing is that if it's enough to run the battery out that quickly you either start smelling that burning wire smell and/or then blow a fuse. So, that's probably the good news if you didn't smell anything like that. Once your battery is low (lights on too long, running electrical seat adjusters too much?) then AtlantaAlans thoughts seem reasonable. I think I would be calling Nissan service and asking the question about low/disconnected battery and the odd behavior if what you are trying tonight doesn't work. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
:censor: neither resetting the SES or unplugging the battery overnight worked :mad: I know how the battery ran down so fast to, I had the auto lights on and had the key turned on so I could pull the shifter back to take off the shifter gate, and I had the front of the vehicle pulled into the garage so the lights turned on...dumba$$. I think I'll call the service dept but they will just say to bring it in. At a minimum they will likely need to hook it up to the consult II....suppose thats will cost me $100?

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
That stinks.
I poked around in the service manual and saw that you can run some self diagnostics from the Nav system, but some how I don't think that will tell you much that isn't just symptomatic of the larger problem.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I gave up and took the Mada into the dealership this afternoon. On the way it had a couple of surging spells on top of all the dash lights lit up.

They hooked it up and said it had a whole slew of codes come up. The tech said he didn't think anything I had done would cause any of the codes he is seeing....but he wouldn't rule it out. What he thought may be the problem was that there is a key ground point behind the radiator that they have been seeing becoming coroded and causing electrical problems. They have to wait for it to cool down so they can get to it to clean it up. Man I hope that is what the problem is....it's a weird coincident if it is.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Lonnie,

Let us know where that point is. I'd like to try to insulate it and prevent any electrical issues if possible.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the ground thing wasn't it. They think it has something to do with the CAN...I met with the head tech and showed him specifically what I had done prior to the dash lighting up like a frikin christmas tree. He said he was going to go through all test on the CAN if he can get some time tomorrow but said he wasn't sure how much time and said not to be suprised if they don't have it fixed tomorrow. THIS SUCKS....I just hope somehow it comes back with some warranty covered deal because I can just imagine how much it will cost me otherwise to find the problem. The tech still couldn't see anything that I had done would be causing all of these problems but said they weren't ruling out anything.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sooo happy I could just....

Well they replaced the brake actuator and that cured all the electrical problems I was having!!!!!!! WhoooooHoooooo! I didn't F' it up, warranty is paying for it all. Tech says it had to just be bad luck it going out while I was in the middle of my project. It may not of been such bad luck it happening then while I could easily show what all I had done instead of them pointing to extra wires and saying hmmmmm. Anyway my dealership has gone from crap to :urock: over this last year, I'm very happy with them now......

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
NICE! :D
Glad everything worked out for ya.
When are we gonna see some pix from that project you were workin on?

OH, I forgot..........:hick:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts