Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded in my Xterra for an 06 SE-OR a few weeks ago. Needed a vehicle with more room and an automatic for the co-driver. Should have posted back then, but we've been enjoying driving and had less keyboard time.
With little more than 200 miles on the odometer, we took the Armada off-road. Really impressive. On a tough trail requiring 4wd-low range, the truck powered through some rough sections. Got a small scratch on the front skid plate, but otherwise there was enuf ground clearance.
I've had 4x4's since 1983. Considering the size of the Armada and 'stock' equipment, it's gotta be best in class off-road. Way beyond the mall-crawlers that creep over the speed bumps!
There's no problem with the 75 mph speed limits on the area parkways either. The Xterra was running out of reserve power under those conditions. Not so with the V8!
Bought my first Datsun in 1967 - they've come a long way...

dave - with a new toy to play with :)

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
Dave,

I have a 67.5 2000 race car, it is a great car to vintage race!

Tell me about your avitar...Is that your Roadster?

I am quite impressed with my Armada as well! glad to hear that you are enjoying your new ride.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SilverQShip -
I tried to down load/attach a photo to the post but got an error message. Try this:
http://home.att.net/~miatank/wsb/media/147946/site1017.jpg

BRE Armada -
Brock(peter) Racing Ent. - yes, we remember. Great competition with the Group 44 cars and Bob Sharp Racing from Wilton, CT.
That's us in my 1967 1600 roadster(SPL 311) running an auto-x. Before helmets were required. :) We also ran the car on the ice:
http://home.att.net/~miatank/wsb/media/147946/site1012.jpg
and in time trials. Usually at Lime Rock. Wish I could have waited for a 2000, but needed a car so... Bought a 240Z in 1972. Kept it for 11 years.

dave - would take either back in a heartbeat :D

·
Premium Member
219 Posts

Here is a photo of me and my roadster at the Palm Springs Revival race a few weekends back.....

I will be out at PIR the early part of next year in my Roadster, with HSR West....if your in AZ come by and watch us run!

HSR West website

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Congrats from fellow AZ member

Hey, if you want to do a little off roading up near Phoenix let me know as I have not had my mada off road yet but I am anxious to do a little wheeling.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Welcome! Get some good A/T tires and let her shine! BFG is the best you can get for the 18" but since you have the OR package, you can get some 17" nitto terra grapplers in 295/70-17. Awesome tires. Welcome! ;)

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
Releif Reseivor

SilverQShip said:
does anyone know any good offroad places i could go to in northern california thats not too hard on the truck (paint).?
If you look on a Stanislaus National Forest map, just before (~10-15 miles) Kennedy Meadows off Rt 108 take the fire road for (south side) Eagle Meadows, on the map and head (~east) towards Relief Reservoir, (you did bring your GPS right?) oh yes, you have nav. There is just a couple lightweight creek crossings and small log hops, just hard enough to keep the RVs and Volvo station wagons out. You can go almost 20 miles to the south side of the reservoir's rim (opposite Kennedy meadows, very near Emigrant Wilderness border) and hike down about 1/4 mile along a creek to the waters edge(good fishing). I can't remember the name (silver mine creek?) of the creek right now and my map is in the car with the wife at work. Really cool place to wheel/camp during fishing season (or anytime) for canoe or float tube action. I have seen a Nissan Sentra make it in and out, but it wasn't pretty or his car(girlfriends). Great place to play "rally driver".

For less adventurous stuff, but still fun, there is the state run Carnegie off road park (+1500 acres) near Tracy/Livermore that has an 4x4 "play area" small hills (berms), mud pit, rock crawling, frame twister(logs) and a big long mellow creek bed to bounce down, a store and phone (cells don't work), plenty of folks to help you get unstuck, all for only $5 a car load. You can take a break and watch MX crazys (my sons, not me) pack the ground at the motocross track. I will be there at least 3 days during the holidays, so look for "smokey" and utility trailer. Good luck and Merry Xmas.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
THANKS!!!!!!!! The first place you mentioned sounds interesting but i think ill check both of them out i actually live close to tracy and right next to livermore (i live in pleasanton). Well if i see Your car ill be sure to say hi.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Congrats on the SE Offroad 4x4. It's my choice too.

I've taken it into some moderately bad places and my only issue has been the running boards. They are actually lower than the vehicle ground clearance under the diffs and skid plates. I keep hitting them and have scuffed the bottom of one of them several times.

I have been giving consideration to taking them off, but then my wife would have some trouble climbing in.

Those BFG Rugged Trails are better than street tires, but are the weak link. T/A AT KO's are much better. Others here like the Nitto's but I don't have any experience with them.

I'll probably go with the BFG AT KO's as I am more familiar with them when the time comes. So far the Rugged Trails have almost 25,000 pretty hard miles on them and still have almost half of their tread.

I play offroad quite a bit and the Armada is not my primary vehicle for that purpose, but it is amazing what such a big truck can do.

You made a wise choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.