Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I use regular gas or do it have to be premium,my salesman said to use premium with gas so expensive I was just wondering

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Regular = 305 hp
Premium = 315 hp
The computer advances the timing based on feedback from a knock sensor. This gives you 10 hp with super.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
So which gas are you using?

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
QX56 power rating

315 on super... So is that why the QX is rated at 315 and requires super (premium, hi-tes: dependent on what part of the country you are from.) Don't tell me that there really aren't any mods, just different gas. OMG (just another image enhancer). MMMYYYY truck runs on "premium" unleaded, what about yoouuurrrrsss. HAHA, just regular... (all said with a snooty sound looking down over their nose at you). PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN THAT! :nana:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Just in case anyone is wondering, there was another thread that got shutdown recently about gas octane. Go check it out. It was a lively discussion but I think it does bring up a lot of good points and some insight into if the QX56 and Armada engines are the same or different. And why the hp ratings are different.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
FL_Crushin said:
315 on super... So is that why the QX is rated at 315 and requires super (premium, hi-tes: dependent on what part of the country you are from.) Don't tell me that there really aren't any mods, just different gas. OMG (just another image enhancer). MMMYYYY truck runs on "premium" unleaded, what about yoouuurrrrsss. HAHA, just regular... (all said with a snooty sound looking down over their nose at you). PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN THAT! :nana:
Nope. Its a marketing ploy to allow Infiniti to advertise a higher HP rating. Same exact motor, ECU, etc. and made on the same assembly line. :teeth:

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
You're right, gas is expensive, especially when your only getting 14 mpg, LOL

But, I have to believe that the motor will run a little better on premium...and that's what I've been using for the first 4 tanks.... I would love to switch to regular unleaded but for a few more cents (or dollars with 30gal tank) :) I will stick to the premium.

For what its worth, all of the service advisors at my nissan dealar insisted upon using premium only..

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I get knocking on hot days with 87 octane.(not sure why?) So I usually use 89 or 91.
The higher the altitude, the lower the octane you need.
If you live at 3,000 ft and up, 87 should be fine.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Nope. Its a marketing ploy to allow Infiniti to advertise a higher HP rating. Same exact motor, ECU, etc. and made on the same assembly line. :teeth:
No difference. None. And the Infiniti does not have to run premium. Put 87 octane in it and it runs just like ours, smooth, strong, but "just" 305 horses.

BTW, to get the extra horses, even with premium, you have to be at wide open throttle or heavy load conditions that would call on the engine to continue to advance timing enough to benefit. That means unless you are going to the drag strip or towing a trailer up a steep grade you probably will never see those extra horses. But your pocket book will feel them on every single gallon.

But if you want to say you have 315 under your right foot, 93 octane will get it for you.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
all over again

I think I've been here before?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Bueller, Bueller, Bueller.
Correct. The timing is adjusted by the ECU based on what the knock sensor is telling it. It can advance the timing more with higher octane before you have detonation and knock problems, therefore it gains the extra power. They tested the qx56 motor on super, and armada/titan on regular. Same applies for the g35 motor. Even says in the manual you can use regular but for max performance use super. Cool new generation of ECUs we have here. They even control the shift points on the G with the computer based on driving habits for either max performance or economy. I think this is the same for our vehicles. :amazing:

So the net result is:
If you want to save money you can use regular or plus. If you want max power, you can go to premium. Your choice, but any will work and not be a waste of money. ;)

Hope this clears it up.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
either way, im willing to bet you wont be able to tell a difference in HP numbers with a "seat of the pants" dyno .......

also..at the drag strip and during towing, torque is what counts, not HP

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Malik112099 said:
either way, im willing to bet you wont be able to tell a difference in HP numbers with a "seat of the pants" dyno .......

also..at the drag strip and during towing, torque is what counts, not HP
As a Bud drinker would say, "True!" This is another reason to get a Supercharger. :teeth:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts