Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my right front shock is leaking oil now, and i'm planning to upgrade it with rancho or bilsteins rather than going to my nissan stealership and avail a free replacement shock (my 'mada is still under warranty, 24,000 miles on it). in your own opinion, what do you think is the best shock upgrade for the 'mada on stock height? bilstein, rancho or are there any other brands that's better?every personal opinion will be greatly appreciated guys, this will help me and other club members to decide what is the best front shocks upgrade for our trucks. Can i trust pepboys to do the shock installation for my truck or are there any better installers out there?thanks:confused::D

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
I helped install some front Bilstein HD shocks on a Titan this last Saturday. I'd have to say they would be the best bang for the buck, they rode VERY smooth and nice after the install. They rode every bit as good and a little better for the tiny bumps onroad than my Sway-A-Ways do.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanx Pops, i'm really looking forward on bilsteins because of its price-to-performance factor. i also read some good reviews about it too.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
Ya know that smooth ride that sold you on the Armada during your first test drive?? Well, that's a little rough compared to how the Bilsteins seemed to ride. :D I would feel more justified in spending the extra $$$ on SAWs if the Bilsteins rode rough at all so I was trying to find something to pick on. Well, there was nothing I could pick on, nothing at all. :( So now my only justification is that mine are designed for heavy offroad use and they'll never have to be completely replaced.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
I'm using Rancho 9000 adjustables and they work well, I'd like to compare the 5100's just to see the difference.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,993 Posts
I'm using Rancho 9000 adjustables and they work well, I'd like to compare the 5100's just to see the difference.
I don't know about the 5100's but I've ridden on Ranchos in other trucks and I doubt they even come close to the Bilstein HD. The HD feel like you're gliding over RR tracks.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
wow guys you really made me think, thanks for all the feedbacks. i'm already dropping the icons and radflo shocks on my list, and narrowing my choices to bilsteins and ranchos, and probably SAW but with a $900+ price i think i'll just set my mind on a pair of bilsteins or ranchos..:bow::D

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
are those rancho 9000's can be fitted underneath my big A with stock height? and do i need some alignment after the installation if ever i'll choose the ranchos over the bilstein 5100's?

·
Premium Member
2,047 Posts
I'll bet that's a mistake.... I'd never choose Rancho over Bilstein for these trucks. ;)
pop speaks the truth. and i can back it up. i had the rancho rs9000s for about a year. they were about an 85% improvement over stock. then i switched to the bil 5100s. best money i've spent on this armada, and they were less than the ranchos!!! seriously, if they should ever go bad for any reason, i wont even hesitate to order another pair. go bilstein dude, you wont regret it. also, i know you're concerned about the height. the bilstein 5100s can be set at stock height, 1" of lift, or 2" of lift. they have a ring engraved in the shock body and a c-clip that holds the spring seat in place, so adjusting is easy. so yea, you can run the 5100s at stock height.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Looking to replace mine at 198K she is ridding like a tank on 22's and and the smallest bumps throw me, I am dumb to the product, so do I just by the 5100's and use my old coil springs on the front, or do they see with new ones. ???? and who has best price on the net??? Also to do the rears I have the LE 4x4 2004 with tow package but my self leveling compressor is dead in the back, so whats easiest to replace the shocks back there,,, I see most shocks say w/o self leveling and 2wd trying to drive her another 50k and then get a gently used 2017 !! #Armadas4Life

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Armada SE to be used for towing a 4000 lbs camper.
It had 50K miles on it and the right was bumpy.
While towing, I experienced bump steer. I had not experienced prior to that.

From reading the forums,I replaced front and rear with:

Bilstein 24-197656 4600
Rancho RS5396 RS5000 Series Shock

The ride got smoother but at the same time, it got scary.
the car bounces on the slightest bumps and bumps steers on very small bumps.
I removed the Rancho shocks and put the stock back on the rear and the bump steers went away.

I hope the Rancho was the right one and I just need a 4 wheel alignment.

Any thoughts?

Neng

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
My 2 cents:

I went with Bilstein 24-197649 5100 Series Ride Height Adjustable Shocks from Amazon. I have them on the highest setting.

I still have the original rear shocks (the air system deflated a couple of years ago) with 2" spacers and a Firestone W237604150 Coil-Rite Kit @ 40 psi.

When I did the mod I had Michelin LTXs and it rode about the same as stock to me, with moderate bump steer both before and after. When I got $100/tire cheaper, softer wall Cooper Discoverer A/T3's, my bump steer mostly went away and the truck still rides quiet and great. Photos show ride height.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I'm going to be helping a friend replace his OEM coilovers (170K!!). We're going to go with the Bilstein 5100's (at stock height). What else is needed? I'm considering having him buy a new coil also so we can assemble it ahead of time. If we buy a Bilstein shock and coil are there are any other supplies needed, assuming we don't plan to reuse any parts off of the OEM coilover?

I did SAW coilovers on my '07 Titan. Those came as a fully assembled set so I didn't have to dismount anything from the old coilovers.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Armada SE to be used for towing a 4000 lbs camper.
It had 50K miles on it and the right was bumpy.
While towing, I experienced bump steer. I had not experienced prior to that.

From reading the forums,I replaced front and rear with:

Bilstein 24-197656 4600
Rancho RS5396 RS5000 Series Shock

The ride got smoother but at the same time, it got scary.
the car bounces on the slightest bumps and bumps steers on very small bumps.
I removed the Rancho shocks and put the stock back on the rear and the bump steers went away.

I hope the Rancho was the right one and I just need a 4 wheel alignment.

Any thoughts?

Neng
I have the same shocks up front and they are great.

I put the Rancho model RS999306 in the rear along with the stiffer moog springs to replace the auto leveling shocks. I love that set up - feels great on the road and no bouncing down the road at all. IF the stock shocks work for you in the rear I'd stick with those.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I'm going to be helping a friend replace his OEM coilovers (170K!!). We're going to go with the Bilstein 5100's (at stock height). What else is needed? I'm considering having him buy a new coil also so we can assemble it ahead of time. If we buy a Bilstein shock and coil are there are any other supplies needed, assuming we don't plan to reuse any parts off of the OEM coilover?

I did SAW coilovers on my '07 Titan. Those came as a fully assembled set so I didn't have to dismount anything from the old coilovers.
All I can think of is the upper rubber spring seat / isolator. Nuts and bolts "should" be good. Not much else to it. At 170K I'd probably get new springs and mounting them to the shocks ahead of time is the way to go.

If you are getting an alignment afterwards anyway it may be a good time to also do the sway bar links and tie rods. Those are cheap parts that you might as well do while your working there if they are at all close to needing to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Thanks. Due to the unknown miscellaneous parts he decided to buy a full coilover so we don't have to mess with it. It's not a grocery-getter, nor is it a lifted off-road beast. But he does hit some rough roads and he's been some places that I wasn't always happy taking my Titan. The new coilovers should cover him for the next 40K miles which is about all he needs it to do.

We're also doing bearings, UCA and LCA at the same time. I didn't think of doing the sway bar end links. We'll have the sway bar disconnected so you're right, we might as well replace the parts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts