Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 Armada SE to be used for towing a 4000 lbs camper.
It had 50K miles on it and the right was bumpy.
While towing, I experienced bump steer. I had not experienced prior to that.

From reading the forums,I replaced front and rear with:

Bilstein 24-197656 4600
Rancho RS5396 RS5000 Series Shock

The ride got smoother but at the same time, it got scary.
the car bounces on the slightest bumps and bumps steers on very small bumps.
I removed the Rancho shocks and put the stock back on the rear and the bump steers went away.

I hope the Rancho was the right one and I just need a 4 wheel alignment.

Any thoughts?

Neng
Neng, the Armada and Titan _front_ suspensions are identical for model year '07. The rear is completely different. If you don't get an answer here, try the TitanTalk.com forum. It is the most popular site for Titans and I doubt that you can stump them. ClubTitan.org is another option. It has great history but isn't very active any more.

Bump steer on the Titan is almost unheard of. Especially on an IFS. I can't recall any recent threads on TitanTalk where bump steer came up. I would try getting it aligned. I've heard of that resolving bump steer on a SFA (Solid Front Axle). I would also check for other worn/broken components. My Titan at 99K miles drove very smoothly but I did have some aftermarket components on there (UCA and coilovers). At 50K miles your Armada should be easy to drive unless it was abused.

On the Titan forums the OEM and aftermarket Rancho shocks are universally reviled. On the Ford truck forums (mostly the Superduty side) the aftermarket Rancho shocks are thought well of while the OEM Ranch shocks are considered crap.

I put Rancho 9000XL shocks on my F-350 and it made for a nice upgrade. Bilsteins are generally considered to be the best bang for the buck on the Titan. I would have gone Bilstein on my F-350 but they failed to come out with shocks that fit the 2017 in time.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I need help and advice. I currently drive a 06 Armada and do some towing on the weekends and need to replace the suspension on my Armada. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100s but I read somewhere online that Bilstein doesn't make the rear struts for the Armadas? Is that correct? Did I read it wrong? Also, would you recommend changing out the springs and purchasing new ones with the new struts? If so, what would you recommend. Any recommendations or suggestions would be really helpful.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I need help and advice. I currently drive a 06 Armada and do some towing on the weekends and need to replace the suspension on my Armada. I was looking at the Bilstein 5100s but I read somewhere online that Bilstein doesn't make the rear struts for the Armadas? Is that correct? Did I read it wrong? Also, would you recommend changing out the springs and purchasing new ones with the new struts? If so, what would you recommend. Any recommendations or suggestions would be really helpful.
The rear shocks on your Armada are most likely air shocks. So the Bilstein isn't a correct fit there. If you think the rear suspension isn't working you may have to trace down the air lines.

I helped a friend redo the entire front suspension in his '07 Armada a few months ago. UCA, LCA, bearing/hub assembly, rotors, pads, sway bar end links and the entire coilover. He used 171358 Monroe Quickstrut for the coilovers. It allowed for a faster install. We didn't have to dismount the OEM springs and put them on something else. At 170,000 miles they probably weren't in great shape anyhow.

After we finished he said that it drove like new. I rode in it before the redo and was kind of scary.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
The previous owner of my vehicle installed suspension kit that deleted the rear air-springs, and lifted all four corners without spacers. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

Edit: Here's the link: https://www.strutmasters.com/products/2004-2015-nissan-armada-4-wheel-air-suspension-conversion-kit-na14f/

They use Eibach springs, and give me about a 2" lift over stock. They previous owner did a lot of boat towing, and said that the rear end showed little to no sag with the trailer/boat attached. I don't tow much, so I'll just take his word for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
pop speaks the truth. and i can back it up. i had the rancho rs9000s for about a year. they were about an 85% improvement over stock. then i switched to the bil 5100s. best money i've spent on this armada, and they were less than the ranchos!!! seriously, if they should ever go bad for any reason, i wont even hesitate to order another pair. go bilstein dude, you wont regret it. also, i know you're concerned about the height. the bilstein 5100s can be set at stock height, 1" of lift, or 2" of lift. they have a ring engraved in the shock body and a c-clip that holds the spring seat in place, so adjusting is easy. so yea, you can run the 5100s at stock height.
Should you replace the springs or did you guys all use the stock springs? Or can you buy them with springs already on them?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Should you replace the springs or did you guys all use the stock springs? Or can you buy them with springs already on them?
I don't think the Bilstein 5100s come loaded with springs in them. I just reused the old springs, as they were only a few years old (supposedly), but showed no signed of sagging.

I've never heard of stock Armada/Titan front coil springs going bad, but there may be some examples.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't think the Bilstein 5100s come loaded with springs in them. I just reused the old springs, as they were only a few years old (supposedly), but showed no signed of sagging.

I've never heard of stock Armada/Titan front coil springs going bad, but there may be some examples.
Ok thanks I guess I'll just use the stock springs

21 - 27 of 27 Posts