Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What oil does everyone run in these things?

What's preferred weight, any change from OEM?

And how much does it take?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
I'm just using the OEM weight (don't remember off the top of my head), and use whatever name brand happens to be on sale. I use semi-synthetic. My truck has 75K miles on it, I try to change every 6-7000 miles. Truck takes 6 1/2 quarts with filter change. Last couple of times I've been having my local mechanic change it for me, he uses Castrol products. For $45, hardly worth doing it myself. Although, I certainly are not lacking for time to do it myself right now. :)

Keith

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just using the OEM weight (don't remember off the top of my head), and use whatever name brand happens to be on sale. I use semi-synthetic. My truck has 75K miles on it, I try to change every 6-7000 miles. Truck takes 6 1/2 quarts with filter change. Last couple of times I've been having my local mechanic change it for me, he uses Castrol products. For $45, hardly worth doing it myself. Although, I certainly are not lacking for time to do it myself right now. :)

Keith
Have been thinking about doing the same. My local guy will do it for similar. I used to have the dealer do my old BMW; if I did it myself the oil/filter would cost me $60, and they did it for $80, gave me a loaner, and washed my car when done.

I don't have a manual, sadly, been hard to find the weights. I usually tend towards Castrol, since it used to be the BMW mainstay and that's what I have always had before this thing. 6.5 quarts is less than I was expecting, my car takes almost 9 liters, lol...

I'll dig deeper for the weight, probably check with my local guy anyway. Thinking of having someone swap the headers before it becomes an issue anyway. Any recommendations on header brands?

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
5w-30 depending on temp. For headers, there a couple posts about using generic brand replacements but most go with an upgraded set from Cajun b-pipes and get the corresponding UpRev tune with it.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
By manual, I meant the owners manual. If you don't have one, can download one quickly from the Internet. Don't remember the actual site, but a quick Google will find it for you. Might also be able to find the service manuals there.

Oil weight should be 5W30, assuming you're in "normal" climates. And, any major brand (Pennzoil, Mobil1, Castrol, Quaker State) should be fine, whatever happens to be on sale.

Wow, getting a BMW oil change for $80 is a steal. When I had my 550, I remember getting quotes of $120-130 from my local independent BMW mechanic, and much higher from the dealer. At least it was only needed every 10-12,000 miles or so. I've gotten spoiled regarding oil changes with my daily driver. In fact, no maintenance other than tire rotations is pretty cool!!

As far as headers, there are a bunch of threads on this forum about that, so recommend you go look through those. On my 2006 Armada, we had the manifolds crack, and the truck was still under emissions warranty, so I had Nissan change them for OEMs under warranty. My 2012 has 77K miles on it right now, so thinking I may be having to look into this myself here pretty quick. Living in California, my options are a bit more limited than folks that live in the real America.

Keith

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By manual, I meant the owners manual. If you don't have one, can download one quickly from the Internet. Don't remember the actual site, but a quick Google will find it for you. Might also be able to find the service manuals there.

Oil weight should be 5W30, assuming you're in "normal" climates. And, any major brand (Pennzoil, Mobil1, Castrol, Quaker State) should be fine, whatever happens to be on sale.

Wow, getting a BMW oil change for $80 is a steal. When I had my 550, I remember getting quotes of $120-130 from my local independent BMW mechanic, and much higher from the dealer. At least it was only needed every 10-12,000 miles or so. I've gotten spoiled regarding oil changes with my daily driver. In fact, no maintenance other than tire rotations is pretty cool!!

As far as headers, there are a bunch of threads on this forum about that, so recommend you go look through those. On my 2006 Armada, we had the manifolds crack, and the truck was still under emissions warranty, so I had Nissan change them for OEMs under warranty. My 2012 has 77K miles on it right now, so thinking I may be having to look into this myself here pretty quick. Living in California, my options are a bit more limited than folks that live in the real America.

Keith
$80 was nice. After taxes and stuff it was more like $90, but still.

They charge $150 for my M3, which, granted takes almost 9 liters. The $80 was for an E90 330i. I don't have them do the M3, since they swapped to Shell and I prefer the TWS that the car was designed for, especially considering oil starvation issues for M3 rod bearings. Still it costs me $150ish for the materials to do it myself.

My wife's X3 has maintenance through like 2021 or 2022, I've never jacked it up even once. Pretty nice.

As far as the headers, PA isn't great about emissions. Not as bad as CA but they do a BS safety and visual inspection every year. I could probably get away with eliminating some of the cats as long as it doesn't throw a code, but I need it to not throw a code. It's an '04 with like 135K on it, and I don't want it to happen halfway to the beach with my trailer this summer, hence looking into it now. If it wasn't a tow vehicle, I'd just wait for it to happen and do it, I have other cars to drive (not to mention, right now not really driving at all, lol).

I'm gonna order 6 qts of 5w30 syntec and get it done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
P.S. Honestly hadn't even thought to look for the manual online. I came here and searched for oil change, oil weight, etc. Used to the BMW forums where there are like daily threads on oil choice and methodology.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Not near as active hear as it is over on the BMW forums......

Haven't been over there in a long time, sold my E60 back around 2016. Really miss that car, wouldn't mind buying that back. Was a 550i with the M-sport package and a manual transmission. But, really expensive when it needed fixing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not near as active hear as it is over on the BMW forums......

Haven't been over there in a long time, sold my E60 back around 2016. Really miss that car, wouldn't mind buying that back. Was a 550i with the M-sport package and a manual transmission. But, really expensive when it needed fixing.
That's a unicorn 550. People seek those out. Dude I know just got the next version (F10, I think?) of that.

The header issue...how common is it to leave you sitting? I'm not sure I wanna drop a grand right now on this thing, expecting it will last me 2 years until we get something newer...

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
It won't leave you sitting. If you crack an exhaust manifold, you'll start to hear a slight ticking noise when the engine is cold. After a while, the ticking will get worse, until it is happening all the time. Eventually you'll get a code (believe it is related to a bad cat). Ultimately, the cat will degrade, and I've heard of instances where material from the cat gets sucked back up into the engine, causing engine failure. That's pretty rare, though.

If you don't have the ticking, and your convinced you don't have a cracked exhaust manifold, I wouldn't fix it.

So, you have a F10 550 with a manual? That's also a unicorn.

Keith

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It won't leave you sitting. If you crack an exhaust manifold, you'll start to hear a slight ticking noise when the engine is cold. After a while, the ticking will get worse, until it is happening all the time. Eventually you'll get a code (believe it is related to a bad cat). Ultimately, the cat will degrade, and I've heard of instances where material from the cat gets sucked back up into the engine, causing engine failure. That's pretty rare, though.

If you don't have the ticking, and your convinced you don't have a cracked exhaust manifold, I wouldn't fix it.

So, you have a F10 550 with a manual? That's also a unicorn.

Keith
Nah, a guy I know got one, not me. I have a 2011 E90 M3 with a manual. I don't think I have a cracked manifold at this point, so I'll let it ride for now.

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
In my opinion, the E90 is the last of the great M3s........last one with a naturally aspirated engine. And with a manual transmission.......oh, man.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
P.S. Honestly hadn't even thought to look for the manual online. I came here and searched for oil change, oil weight, etc. Used to the BMW forums where there are like daily threads on oil choice and methodology.
Service manuals are here.
The maintenance PDF defines the types and amount of fluids.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts