Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a larger battery than stock? What’s everyone using?

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Use the biggest battery you can fit in there. Just make sure the + and - posts are in the correct orientation. Different group size batteries have post oriented differently.

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
I wouldn't say a larger battery by size but stronger. The Northstar Group 27 AGM I have in my QX80 is rated at 930 CCA, 1080 CA and 1750 PCA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use the biggest battery you can fit in there. Just make sure the + and - posts are in the correct orientation. Different group size batteries have post oriented differently.
My 2013 Platinum Reserve called for a 24F.
24 is the most common battery ever used. The F indicates Ford--which means the terminals are reversed! Don't waste your $$ on a more powerful battery. Check the CCA and fit. Walmart usually has the best prices on automotive batteries. DO NOT get snookered into thinking that Nissan or Exide, et al. There are only 3 automotive battery manufacturers in the USA. So price should always be the buying factor!

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't say a larger battery by size but stronger. The Northstar Group 27 AGM I have in my QX80 is rated at 930 CCA, 1080 CA and 1750 PCA.
Thinking about the north star. Was yours a 27 or 27F?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
27F has the terminals reversed and the 27M has dual terminals. The 2nd set of terminals are threaded for marine-use compatibility.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
27F has the terminals reversed and the 27M has dual terminals. The 2nd set of terminals are threaded for marine-use compatibility.
Great info. Thank you. What’s the warranty claim process like? I’ve never bought a car battery online. If there is an issue, how do they handle replacement?

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
To be honest, I don't know and the way this battery performs, I doubt I'll ever have to file a warranty. I do know Northstar has a 4 year, full replacement warranty which is a nice plus.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To be honest, I don't know and the way this battery performs, I doubt I'll ever have to file a warranty. I do know Northstar has a 4 year, full replacement warranty which is a nice plus.
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Most the time battery warranties are pro-rated. So it's important to keep your receipt.

I'm also a fan of increasing cold cranking amps when reasonably possible.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Just an aside, as you've already bought a battery.
When replacing batteries, I always buy the highest cranking capacity that will fit the space. I also only buy locally, for any warranty issues.
We buy perhaps 10 batteries a year (lots of cars, trucks and equipment) and use SamsClub 95% of the time. For a couple of reasons, but mostly for the warranty. 36 months, no hassle. They refund what you paid and you buy a new one (with a new 36 month warranty). In the SW US where we are (Vegas And SCal) the heat kills just about any battery in a couple of years. With Sams, I just pop out the bad one, take it in and get a new one. Easy peasy.
We used to get Interstates, but they flaked out a couple of times on replacing a bad one, so
As always, ymmv

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just to confirm you went with the standard 27, not 27F? Someone mentioned earlier needing the reverse terminals.

This would be the same for a 2018 Armada, I see you're QX80?

How do you like the battery, all well still?

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just to confirm you went with the standard 27, not 27F? Someone mentioned earlier needing the reverse terminals.

This would be the same for a 2018 Armada, I see you're QX80?

How do you like the battery, all well still?
I bought the 27 version. Works great. To be fair, I’m not sure I understand why the terminal direction matters. You can just flip the battery around.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts