Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

As i said before, we might be gettin rid of the Armada soon. All i wanted to know is what's better: the G35x or M35x. Obviously the M35x has better features in it, but I wanted to know if there are any problems with the vehicle :confused: I mean, I don't wanna get it and then find out the brakes suck, rattles, etc. Or if you guys know any other good all wheel drive cars in the price range of the G35x and M35x that'll be great.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
drcookie said:
Not sure about the Infinity but did you check out the new Acura RL? It is a gas saver 3.5L V6 with 300 HP AWD. :)
Slow (Armada is faster with same HP figures. Pathetic power from Honda once again) and far less luxurious. I would not put the RL in the same class as Infiniti, BMW, Merc, Audi, or Lexus. Maybe Maxima or Avalon?
Its also $49k vs. $43 for the M and $32 for the G. If you offered a brand new RL to me to trade me for my G I would tell you to walk.
Lexus doesn't offer anything in AWD worth looking at.
BMW has a 530 in AWD for $49k. Again, much rather have this than an RL.
Audi has the A4 Quatro also worth a look for $36k.

As for G vs. M, sit in both. There are a few features in the new M that are nice and it is larger, but you need to decide if it is worth the extra cash. As for brakes, ALL Nissans and Infinitis had brake issues until recently. My '04 had new rotors and pads put on. Seems like the brake parts provider who they were using for ALL their cars sold them a bill of goods. They have been fixing them model by model. They fixed the G35 in late '04 and would have to believe the M doesn't have the problems as the brake parts would now be coming from the new part maker.

So in sum, if it was me, I'd buy in order:
M35
G35
Audi A4
Acura RL
But this is my choice. If you can wait a little while, next year the G35 skyline is coming out and BMW will have a 3 series AWD as well as M3 and M5. Try a few rides first. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Hullio,
so are you getting rid of the Armada? or not. You are all over this forum seemingly about to upgrade DVD and other stuff.
Just curious, are you keeping it now?

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
ML 320 CDi: 225 hp, 380 lb-ft, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, top speed 130 mph, 30mpg !!!

Out now in Europe,due in the US in 2006.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
TitanIam said:
ML 320 CDi: 225 hp, 380 lb-ft, 0-60 in 8.5 seconds, top speed 130 mph, 30mpg !!!

Out now in Europe,due in the US in 2006.
I thought he was shopping luxury sedan, not SUV. ;)

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
If you offered a brand new RL to me to trade me for my G I would tell you to walk.

Sorry Triple, I think you're way off with this statement. I have a coworker with the new RL and it is a super sweet ride- very high quality inside and out. I'd take it over a G any day- it's bigger and better quality for sure. The AWD system is killer - it rides quiet and smooth and is fast!

Haven't seen the new M up close but it looks nice. What about the new Lexus G? That looks very nice too and you'd get Lexus quality.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
adjmcloon said:
If you offered a brand new RL to me to trade me for my G I would tell you to walk.

Sorry Triple, I think you're way off with this statement. I have a coworker with the new RL and it is a super sweet ride- very high quality inside and out. I'd take it over a G any day- it's bigger and better quality for sure. The AWD system is killer - it rides quiet and smooth and is fast!

Haven't seen the new M up close but it looks nice. What about the new Lexus G? That looks very nice too and you'd get Lexus quality.
To me it just looks/feels too much like a honda for me. Bland exterior looks like an accord. Acceleration is similar to Accord also. Get in a Nissan Maxima or Altima and then the G or M and you know you're in a premium vehicle. Same with BMW, TOY vs. Lex, etc. Acuras just don't have that feel, even the RL. With a 0-60 in the high 7s it is too slow for my taste also. G is a 0-60 in 6 flat car. G is also larger than 3 series but smaller than 5 series. M is more like RL size. I would say go M but they don't make the 4.5 motor in AWD so verdict is out for me. Same with the BMW. No 4.5, only 3.0 in AWD.
Don't get me wrong. I like Hondas. I told my Dad to buy one. However, just like trucks and sports cars, I don't think Honda has fully reached the mark of what a Luxury sedan is. Probably why the RL doesn't sell well. Take a ride in a G, RL, and 330 on the same day and see what I mean. ;)
I guess the GS 300 could be added to the list also. Still don't know why people think Toyota/Lexus = quality vs. Merc, BMW, Infinit/Nissan. They all are basically the same. Actually, I'd give the Germans an edge over Lex with Infiniti right there. Never been impressed by TOYs. To me, they were for people who didn't understand how to change oil so they had to at all costs buy something that wouldn't break, overpaying for an underperforming bland car. That's why I have a Mada and not an LX 470 or Sequoia. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
andy said:
Hullio,
so are you getting rid of the Armada? or not. You are all over this forum seemingly about to upgrade DVD and other stuff.
Just curious, are you keeping it now?
i'm probably am...not b/c i don't like it, it's b/c the Armada has so much mileage already on it..70,000KM! in just one year...so i was thinking of upgrading/souping up the Armada to increase its value...but i'm still not sure about that...maybe i'll sell it stock, or souped up...i need sum1's opinion..and btw thanks for all the replys...i'm not really feelin the acrua RL anyways..maybe i'll wait for the Skyline ;) or just get the Infinti M and get it over with lol:p..we'll see ;)

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
hullio said:
i'm probably am...not b/c i don't like it, it's b/c the Armada has so much mileage already on it..70,000KM! in just one year...so i was thinking of upgrading/souping up the Armada to increase its value...but i'm still not sure about that...maybe i'll sell it stock, or souped up...i need sum1's opinion..and btw thanks for all the replys...i'm not really feelin the acrua RL anyways..maybe i'll wait for the Skyline ;) or just get the Infinti M and get it over with lol:p..we'll see ;)
40k something miles? Its still new. I put almost that amount on my G35 in 9 months last year. ;)

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but this will be my last Nissan purchase ever; Infiniti or not. The value of our Armada has dropped so much, it makes me sick, good vehicle or not. In the past I have always been a Honda owner and most likely will go back and stay with them or Toyota concerning future purchases.

The RL is intended to be luxury, not fast. Hondas arent known to be fast from the factory stock. The only FAST one would be the NSX, but thats even debateable.

Overall, I am not impressed with Nissan's build quality with any of their products. If you read Car and Driver's 10 best, Nissan/Infiniti didn't win in a single category. In fact, only one Nissan product was nominated to be eligible, and that was the G35.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I don't know about your experieces, but I've had nothing but grief with Hondas. One siezed motor, CV joints, trans blowing, etc.

You're right about speed. Honda's are only fast in movies. However, speed is my primary requirement when selecting a vehicle.

As for loosing value, did you expect different? Look at how much you lost as a % of sticker, not dollars. I think you will find you lost the same % as you would have with a new Honda or TOY.

And as for build quality, I've had TOYs, Hondas, GM, everything, and with the exception of BMW, I ahven't seen anything superior to the Infiniti or Nissan. Certainly not a Honda. Toy may have an edge in reliablility, but I would say a '05 Nissan is more reliable than a new '02 TOY or anything else made a few years ago. Reliablity is up for all makers and at this point it isn't an issue to me. And TOY charges an arm and a leg to get that smiggen more, and at the cost of power, speed, size, and style.

Guess its a preference thing. :hick:

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
True...it is a matter of preference I guess :)

Of all the Hondas I have owned, I have never had one small problem with them....not a single problem. I even bought the 2002 RSX Type S during its first production year and I think that we can both agree that the first year is usually problem plagued. I didnt even have a problem with that car either.

We almost bought a G35 but since I'm so tall, I didnt fit in it well.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
TooTall said:
True...it is a matter of preference I guess :)

Of all the Hondas I have owned, I have never had one small problem with them....not a single problem. I even bought the 2002 RSX Type S during its first production year and I think that we can both agree that the first year is usually problem plagued. I didnt even have a problem with that car either.

We almost bought a G35 but since I'm so tall, I didnt fit in it well.
You fit in an RSX but not a G35? Coupe or Sedan? I have the Sedan and have no problems. I'm 6'1" 240 and have the seat only halfway back and plenty of headroom. ;)

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
TooTall said:
I dont know about you guys, but this will be my last Nissan purchase ever; Infiniti or not. The value of our Armada has dropped so much.....
Of course it makes you sick. I suspect 99% of people that finance are under water for years once they drive off the lot. Pretty much anything you buy will drop a load the first year. This is the first new vehicle that I have ever bought (except for a 600 Ninja when I was young and foolish :D ) because of depreciation. For me though, I'm keeping this for a long time so just decided that new would be good and that first year thing kept me from buying an '04.
See what the value is of an '05 Armada in a few years compared to a Ford or Tahoe and it won't seem so bad. In other words, don't worry about the value until you are ready to sell, although I have seen that you are a bit unhappy, and that's a bummer. :(

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Here's some price comparisons. Since Honda doesn't have a full size SUV and 2006 prices for passport aren't posted yet, I used 2005 and 2003 Acura MDX to get the same amount of years of depreciation.

2004 Sequoia Limited 4wd $33k
2006 Sequoia Limited 4wd $45k
12K difference

2004 Armada LE 4wd $30k
2006 Armada LE 4wd $42k
12k difference

2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4wd $31k
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4wd $43k
$12k difference

2004 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4wd $28k
2006 Chevrolet Suburban LS 1500 4wd $41k
13k difference

2003 Acura MDX AWD $30K
2005 Acura MDX AWD $40K
$10k difference

2004 Caddie Excalade AWD $56K
2006 Caddie Excalade AWD $40K
$16k difference

Which vehicle did you expect to buy that would not loose value? :hi:
Prices are from Edmunds on models without extra options and are dealer resale. Private party and trade in show similar deprecation also. Hope this bursts some more TOY/Honda myths. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts