Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '05 Aramada LE and have been trying to determine the real distance to empty number. Today, for example, my trip computer said I had 24 miles left before empty when my low fuel light came on. This was after I had finished a long drive and was registering about 16.5 mpg fuel economy. Given that, I was thinking the computer was telling me I had about 2 gallons of gas left in the car because it was being conservative about my mileage. When I filled it up, I put in 23.5 gallons and the manual states the tank holds 28. Therefore, the low fuel light is coming on with about 4.5 gallons left in the tank.

It appears to me that Nissan intentionally calculates the distance to empty to leave a reserve of about 2 to 3 gallons in the tank. Is that what you guys are finding as well?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Thats about the same as I see on my Armada.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
4.5 sounds right to me, according to my mileage calculations too. They give you a fairly decent reserve to get to a station. But then, I've been averaging 13 lately. :(

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I kept a one gallon container in my '04 Armada over the winter. I drove the rig untill it ran out. It was around town driving and I think my MPG was about 13.5 at that time. I went aprox. 70 miles between the time the light came on and when it ran out.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
This is something that ticks me off with the Armada. It will say 45 miles left to empty then 2 minutes later - 20 miles and another couple of minutes Empty. Then I will park the car and start it backup and suddenly I am not empty again. Then later it is empty. So I go to fill it up and I get 21 gallons in……………. definitely not close to empty. Very annoying

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,192 Posts
mikeak said:
This is something that ticks me off with the Armada. It will say 45 miles left to empty then 2 minutes later - 20 miles and another couple of minutes Empty. Then I will park the car and start it backup and suddenly I am not empty again. Then later it is empty. So I go to fill it up and I get 21 gallons in……………. definitely not close to empty. Very annoying
Doesn't your vehicle have a fuel guage with the light that comes on when there are about 4 gallons left in the tank? I do not have the computer, that's why I asked.

·
Premium Member
895 Posts
BTW, running out/low of fuel IS VERY HARD ON THE EXPENSIVE-AND-no-fun-to-REPLACE FUEL PUMP.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
BlakSpyda said:
Doesn't your vehicle have a fuel guage with the light that comes on when there are about 4 gallons left in the tank? I do not have the computer, that's why I asked.
I have an 08 and there's no light that comes on. There'll be a warning that says "29 Miles to Empty" on the display. Then my wife will drive it for 40 and tell me it's empty on the driveway. Then I have to pray I have enough fumes to make it to the gas station...:crikey:

·
SHIFT_Moderator
12,985 Posts
My wife does that to me too. She always asks why I don't like driving her car and I tell her it's because I can depend on needing to hit the gas station before going anywhere in it. It's like women don't pay attention to the guage unless a light starts flashing at them or something. Personally, I try not to go below 1/4 tank, especially in the Mada.

·
SHIFT_Moderator
13,192 Posts
That would really be a PITA then, based on NewToNissan's original question!

I have made it a practice lately of not going below a quarter tank.

I had posted before how gas stations were restricting the credit or debit card purchase to $75 dollars. What I have found out is that only some stations are doing it. It just happens to be a lot of them in my area. So I usually fill up at about 1/2 tank, but never lower than at 1/4.

ANYWAY, thanks co2va and mikeak for waking the dead, almost 3yo post! :D

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
What can I say Spyda - I am an environmentalist that recycles :)

On my 08 I get the empty warning first with a light on the display and it beeps etc so I get plenty of warnings. The issue is that it jumps from 50 miles left to E to 0 in a few minutes then when I get to the pump it only takes 21 gallons - the tank is around 28 if I am not mistaken. That is to soon for me......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.