Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I looked at a 2010 Platinum with 160k miles today in a dimly lit parking garage today.
Altho the car has no plates, the engine was warm when I arrived. On the right engine compartment, passenger, side, at idle there was a ticking noise. It sounded like a tappet noise, distinct tick, tick, tick. Is that the typical sound of a leak? I could not easily specifically locate where it was coming from. Since this is only the 2nd Armada I've looked at, I could not even recognize the manifold. The first one I looked at, the owner told me there was an exhaust leak. The engine ran smooth as silk without hearing any odd sounds. With no plates, I have to tow it to a dealer and back to have it checked out and use dealer plates to have it driven.
Is there a trick to removing the oil filler cap. It would not unscrew for me? The rear leveling worked.
The door post placard did not list the rear end gear ratio, see attached, not my phone #. Is it in another location?
Thanks, Joel

Attachments

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
On the right engine compartment, passenger, side, at idle there was a ticking noise. It sounded like a tappet noise, distinct tick, tick, tick. Is that the typical sound of a leak?
This could be a number of things, but doesn't sound like how someone would explain an exhaust leak. Depending on how severe the ticking is, it could just be the normal sound from the fuel injectors or could be indicative of some more issues like something in your heads.

The exhaust leak sounds like air being forced out of a system. You can hear it on this video around the 1:50 mark.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be either side...

Thanks Gentlemen for the info and video. I also read the Titan Talks forum. There the distinct ticking sound I experienced, like stuck lifter on a cold engine, was described, by several posters. The engine was quiet except for this noise.
I walked away from buying it, due to the immediate manifold replacement cost of $2-3K I read about here.
Joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts