Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i dont know if anyone knows about this or wrote about it yet, but just to give u a heads up on my Armada 05 and Titan 04 about two months after bying the trucks i noticed my wheel was shaking or vibrating while i was pressing on the break to slow down, well i took it to nissan and they hadto change my entire column. Anyone else have or had this problem?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
That's a new one. They have been shaking because of brake rotors warping. I never heard the bad column yet. Probably just got lucky. ;)

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont know about lucky, but the same problem with two trucks iono sounds likea factory thing, two changed colums dont sound right

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Like a few days ago I gotta letter from my local Nissan about a warrenty information about your breaking...

This also happens to me at high speeds, the wheel start shaking. There is some kind of recall information about it, I gotta go find the papers for it, but just head over to your dealership and tell them whats up, they will fill you in on your warrenty information.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Again, I've never heard of this problem. I do know that the brake rotors are a very common problem and are being repalced. Nissan had to redesign the rotors and pads and is now actively replacing them. This causes wheel shaking while braking. Not sure how a bad column could or why a bad column would be bad only when braking. Maybe the dealer grossly misdiagnosed the problem? :confused:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I have a similar issue with my truck, the shaking column...
But I wasn't sure if it was a break issue that was just causing some shimming or not. It sounds like I have this issue though, becuase it almost, during breaking, feels as though the column becomes loose and shakes/vibrates. What did you have to do to get fixed, was there a TSB?

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Have you guys also notice that the steering wheel is very shaky on the freeway? It seems the steering wheel is fragile and shakes whenever I would go over a little bump on the road...

Is this normal?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
i7iceguy said:
Have you guys also notice that the steering wheel is very shaky on the freeway? It seems the steering wheel is fragile and shakes whenever I would go over a little bump on the road...

Is this normal?
Mine doesn't shake on highways most of the time. Depends on the road surface. Nice and flat, its totally stable. Bumpy or old, it shakes. This I would say is normal. Fragile isn't the word I would use. It feels like it needs more steering damper and that too much feedback is coming up. I do have larger heavier tires so I expected this and may add a damper to the steering later to tighten it up. ;)

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
i7iceguy said:

Is this normal?
The possible answer is, how old is your Mada, and how many miles you got on it. Probably go over and do a tyre rotation and alignment after about 5000 miles. That would fix your problem :D

·
Premium Member
5,214 Posts
The Armada has rack and pinion steering, which has much more road feedback than the older style pittman arm type steering. If you are new to rack and pinion steering you will really notice the difference.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well on both of my trucks i had to replace the coumn like i said i did, brake warping would mess with the steering it would just mess up the pads and shoes, the problem is that the bearing that is held inside the column is becoming loose so they replace it and tighten it so that it dosnt do it again so in short just take it to the dealer leave it there for a couple of hours and when u get it back ull have a brand new column

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
MistaARMADA said:
well on both of my trucks i had to replace the coumn like i said i did, brake warping would mess with the steering it would just mess up the pads and shoes, the problem is that the bearing that is held inside the column is becoming loose so they replace it and tighten it so that it dosnt do it again so in short just take it to the dealer leave it there for a couple of hours and when u get it back ull have a brand new column
Trying to break this down into sentences. Let me know if I have it correct so I am understanding you correctly.
Well, on both trucks, I had to replace the column.
Like I said, I did.
Brake warping would mess with the steering. (Think you meant to say wouldn't here)
It would just mess up the pads and shoes.
The problem is that eh bearing that is held inside the column is becoming loose, so they replace it and tighten it so ti doesn't do it again.
So in short, just take it to the dealer......

The original thread you said you had problems when braking, not at other times. This would point to a problem occurring with the brakes that affects the steering. Otherwise you would have problems when not braking as well.
Warped brake rotors cause the steering wheel to shake when braking as well as the brake petal pulses. Kind a feels like your tires are oval instead of round.

Alignment will make the wheel shake all the time, but it can be more pronounced when braking. The brakes don't pulse like they do with warped rotors as they are being applied evenly.

A loose steering column would feel like there was play in the steering. However, I don't see how that would be possible because it is keyed and solid parts only. Usually when you have play in the steering, its due to wear in the rack, etc.

Not sure why your dealer replaced your column. Never heard of one ever being replaced, ever, on any car, let alone two. They are built pretty bullet proof because failure is unacceptable.

Dealers don't keep columns on hand as spares because there is very little need. Did you see them replace them or just drop it off for repairs? The dealer may have just cut your rotors and wrote down column replacement/repair to charge more hours for warranty work, basically ripping off Nissan.

Just a theory, but I can't figure out why you would replace a column. We used an original column in a '64 GTO restoration we did on a car that had been driven for 250K miles and sat parked outside for 10 years. Column was fine. :confused:

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well iono about all that but all i know is that i took it to the dealer they said " a bareing inside the column became loose and damaged the entire column" so they changed the whole thing, what can i say thats what they did to both my mada and titan, im not here to argue about what the specs are about whats wrong with it im just trying to give u a heads up on it and telling you what they did to it

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ohh yea and justbeing a little sarcastic i didnt leave it and fix it for a couple of hours but infact they had to order it took about two weeks

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
MistaARMADA said:
ohh yea and justbeing a little sarcastic i didnt leave it and fix it for a couple of hours but infact they had to order it took about two weeks
Makes more sense. Guess this is just one of those freak things. Glad to hear they were able to fix it. ;)

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Gh0sT said:
The possible answer is, how old is your Mada, and how many miles you got on it. Probably go over and do a tyre rotation and alignment after about 5000 miles. That would fix your problem :D
I have a 2005 Mada, 1200 miles on it. When we got our car, they had to get it from another dealership 70 miles away. The transfer took them a whole day and when the car arrived, it was covered in dust, mud and dirt. I think they took it off roading before they gave it to us.!!! :mad:

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
shaking going on

My 05 which was built in June 05 has 6,500 miles and just started shaking when I brake. I notice it more when I brake from higher speeds, i.e. highway to stop light. It is going to the dealership this coming up Monday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts