Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced my original wheels with a set of QX56 takeoffs. I had my tire pressure sensors installed in the wheels, and the wheels were rebalanced. The tires are practically new (still got the nubs). At speeds above 65 or so, I have a bad shimmy. What else could be causing this?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Campfamily said:
I just replaced my original wheels with a set of QX56 takeoffs. I had my tire pressure sensors installed in the wheels, and the wheels were rebalanced. The tires are practically new (still got the nubs). At speeds above 65 or so, I have a bad shimmy. What else could be causing this?

Thanks,
Keith
If the shimmy was there before, it is probably alignment. If not, Its probably a bad balance, thrown weight, etc. Go get a road force balance and it should clear up.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Campfamily said:

Thanks,

Keith
Hi Keith, I did the exact same thing as you and also had the shimmy. I read through some posts here the Contis' we have are pretty bad and sometimes can not be balanced. Some people were getting Road Force Balancing? Something like that. I had the lead weights removed 3 times and rebalanced. Still got some shimmy at around 70mph. I think the solution is to shell out some money for Michelin Xterrains.
But then when you see the price of those Xterrains, the shimmy doesn't feel so bad after all.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andy said:
Hi Keith, I did the exact same thing as you and also had the shimmy. I read through some posts here the Contis' we have are pretty bad and sometimes can not be balanced. Some people were getting Road Force Balancing? Something like that. I had the lead weights removed 3 times and rebalanced. Still got some shimmy at around 70mph. I think the solution is to shell out some money for Michelin Xterrains.
But then when you see the price of those Xterrains, the shimmy doesn't feel so bad after all.
Thanks for the response. The shimmy is so bad, the car is almost undriveable above 65, I'm afraid of other damage I could be doing to the suspension it is so bad. I'm going back to the tire shop tomorrow to have them rebalance everything (already had the fronts done twice), as well as check the alignment. However, it wasn't there when I drove in, it was when I drove out, can't believe the alignment would go off that quick.

And, yes, I would love to get the Michelins, I got them for my Maxima, and it transformed the car (Pilot Sport A/S).

Keith

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I have the same experience when I first took delivery of the truck. Took it back to the stealer a few times but no luck. Went to Discount Tire for Road Forced Balance. It cures most of them but I can still feel the shimmy but very minor. I noticed that they stacked two rows of weights on one of my tires. Conti. tires suck big time !!! I wish I have $$$ to replace them with Michelins. For now, I have to live with the minor shimmy. :mad:

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem Solved!!

After three tries at the first tire shop, went to a different shop. They couldn't balance one of the wheels, and decided to rotate the tire around on the rim. When they did that, about a quart of water came out of the tire. I can't understand how the first shop could say that they balanced the tire with that in it! As far as I figure, it would be impossible! Anyhow, now everything is smooth as can be! Now, I'm arguing with the original dealer trying to get them to refund my money.

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Glad they fixed it. Wonder how it got in there. If its air tight, its water tight. :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
The people who mounted the tires probably had not drained their air compressor. Moisture from the air condenses in the compressor tank, and quite a bit of water is produced in the tank and lines. If they aired your tires with a line that had not been used for a while it would have water condensed in it, and would be forced into the tire.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scr38 said:
The people who mounted the tires probably had not drained their air compressor. Moisture from the air condenses in the compressor tank, and quite a bit of water is produced in the tank and lines. If they aired your tires with a line that had not been used for a while it would have water condensed in it, and would be forced into the tire.
I can't imagine that much water getting in through the line. This was a lot of water. The guy I bought them from had them stored in one of those metal outside containers, and I wonder if he stored them without the valve stems, and only put them in and aired them up right before I came over. Only one had water in it, the one on the top? :confused:

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
hhmm... I need to check all my tires to make sure there is no water collected in them. If I remove the valve (not the valve stem), will the water come out as vapor together with the air? If yes, then I could probably try it.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, since the first tire dealer won't compensate me for having to go elsewhere to fix my problem, I have no qualms about posting his name here. For those of you in the San Gabriel Valley in Los Ang, be very wary of Tire Pros in Glendora, on Rt. 66. They don't stand behind their work.

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.