Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably not calling it by its correct name but I was just at the trailer place to pick up my horse trailer (regular maint) and the guy was going to add the brake controller in the Armada. He thought it would be easy to find but he didn't. I bought my Armada used and in the glove box was the wiring with a white connector on the end - which is what he needed. However, he couldn't find the wiring plug under the dash.
I don't know if there was a diagram or a kit that came with the car originally but I sure don't have anything. I do have the tow package. The manual didn't cover anything on this.
Can you tell me where to find this or do I need to contact Nissan to get the diagram?
BTW, he said he thought that the vehicle would come with a kit that had the hitch, ball, wiring instrx etc). Did you all get that with the tow package?
I'm going to check the Nissan site next but not holding out too much hope.

Any advice is really appreciated!!
Thanks
RA

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Trailer controller

I just installed my controller, they have made it a plug-n-play job. On my car they had the connector taped to the top of a small harness under the dash to the far left side. If you were to touch the dash with your left knee, the connector was right behind that spot on the opposite side of the dash. In your owners kit there is a connector that goes on to your controller. The two merely mate up.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
Look at this photo, from Jet Tech on ClubTitan. The lower dash panel is easy to remove. There are two Phillips screws at the bottom of the panel, and the top is held in place with clips. Remove the screws and pull back at the top to remove.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Brake wiring harness

Hi,
It's precisely where the guys are telling you it is - but you shouldn't need to remove any panels to get to it. Look underneath the dash and it will be taped up to secure it in position.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help guys

Hey, thanks a lot - I will give the picture diagram to the trailer guy. He looked all over last night but couldn't find it (didn't want to rip into the dash without a diagram) so I think this picture will do it now. I do have the little wiring harness (was in the glove box) but no "owners kit" as you mention.
Sounds like they may place them in different locations under there but if he takes off the panel, he should be able to find it. I am going to make sure and ask him if this is a plug and play type so I can get it out of the way when I dont' need it.
Thanks again for the help,
RA

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Photo is accurate. But I agree, don't have him take all that stuff off. You can get to it very easily from the bottom. It's just taped up to keep it from hanging down.

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
You can unplug the brake controller when not in use (which is the case for most of us). Your installer needs to look carefully at the color of the wires when he connectes the controller to the Nissan provided harness. You do not match colors. The harness from Nissan will have the function of each wire on a tag attached to each wire. Match these functions to your controller functions. They will probably be different colors, so care must be used to ensure proper connection.
I added Molex connectors (you can get from Radio Shack) to the Nissan "pigtail" and the controller so it is easier to unplug when you remove the controller. I used Velcro to mount the controller to the face of the lower dash, to the right of the steering column. The Nissan pigtail remains plugged in when the controller is removed.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are great!!!

Thanks so much for the help and the Bulletin will be very helpful.
I am waiting on my trailer guy to call me back now - I want to get this in and get my trailer. He said that the plug and play is not really worth it. Said "Why take it out, it is about $60 more and most people just leave them in anyway."
Any comments on this?
He is charging $175.oo for the unit and to install the one that doesn't remove.

I like the velco idea, I really don't like having holes in the dash and if I take it later when I sell it, it will look bad.

At any rate - thanks so much for the help. Sometimes it pays to ask for help, I hate getting suckered.

Bye for now -
RA

·
Premium Member
5,215 Posts
The Prodigy is the very best controller you can buy. Several places have it for just under $100.00. Installation is easy. I don't know which controller you are using but I sure wouldn't pay $175.00 installed.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Go with the Prodigy

Go with the Prodigy, like SCR38 says, it is the best. It is only four wires that you can solder or crimp on your bench and then just plug it in. I drilled my holes way down next to the hood release in the lower metal dash support, no one will ever notice them.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
What Cillyone said. Prodigy. Use the lower metal dash support. It's an easy install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts