Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I am looking to have some performance Mod. to increase HP, I was all show and no go, now I would like to have all go too, I looked at all the threads and saw many of you has installed the Volant, K&N or the AEM Brute force Intake. its very confusing on what to decide, any suggestions, and what does the body throttle spacer do? do I have to have it?LOL ;)

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
I don't think you will see much increase in performance or mileage by installing just an aftermarket Cold Air Intake. These seem to help when installed with an aftermarket exhaust system. The two need each other to work well. The aftermarket CAI will increase enging noise quite a bit when accelerating hard. It won't be louder at idle or at a steady speed. My experience with the Airaid TBS has been a increase in off idle acceleration, but no gain in mileage.
As you may have seen from some of my posts, I have the Volant CAI, the Airaid TBS and the Gibson single cat back system installed on my Armada. This combination has worked well for me, with significant increases in performance, but very little in mileage increase. But the increase in performance hasn't cost me any mileage, which is a good thing.
I like the Volant because it is a true CAI. It is completely sealed to the engine compartment hot air, taking all it's air from the fenderwell. Most other aftermarket CAI units are not sealed, and take in some hot air from the engine compartment.
You don't have to have the TBS to install the other devices, but I have proven to myself with back to back test runs that it does increase my acceleration performance.
The three items discussed above are easy to install. Any owner can install them with basic hand tools and some guidance from this forum.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scr38 said:
I don't think you will see much increase in performance or mileage by installing just an aftermarket Cold Air Intake. These seem to help when installed with an aftermarket exhaust system. The two need each other to work well. The aftermarket CAI will increase enging noise quite a bit when accelerating hard. It won't be louder at idle or at a steady speed. My experience with the Airaid TBS has been a increase in off idle acceleration, but no gain in mileage.
As you may have seen from some of my posts, I have the Volant CAI, the Airaid TBS and the Gibson single cat back system installed on my Armada. This combination has worked well for me, with significant increases in performance, but very little in mileage increase. But the increase in performance hasn't cost me any mileage, which is a good thing.
I like the Volant because it is a true CAI. It is completely sealed to the engine compartment hot air, taking all it's air from the fenderwell. Most other aftermarket CAI units are not sealed, and take in some hot air from the engine compartment.
You don't have to have the TBS to install the other devices, but I have proven to myself with back to back test runs that it does increase my acceleration performance.
The three items discussed above are easy to install. Any owner can install them with basic hand tools and some guidance from this forum.
SCR, I have seen the Volant with the glass cover, it looks neat and clean. but let me get this straight, you are saying if I install the CAI, then its a must to have the exhaust changed and add the Airaid TBS for it to work properly and have the increase power, Now I would like to have this setup, and I am not concerned about increasing the mileage, just HP.( from reading the threads about mileage increases its all a joke :rolleyes: ). what's the price on the whole setup? I can only wish to find something displaying the sound of the 40, 50, 60, or 70 Exhaust of a different manufacturers i.e Borla, Magnaflow and others :comp26:

P.S I did like the dual exhaust on the gmartin66 05 LE, looks good

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok, knowing the Volant is the best CAI, what about the Body throttle spacer, should I go with the Airaid or the Helix power tower plus on ebay. :hi:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
ggeorgie said:
ok, knowing the Volant is the best CAI, what about the Body throttle spacer, should I go with the Airaid or the Helix power tower plus on ebay. :hi:
Yoy don't need to install a TBS with the CAI and cat back, but I think it helps. The major point is that the CAI and cat back work very well togather. You won't get the full benefit of either unless you install both.
I paid $475.00 delivered for the Gibson SS system, the alumized steel system is about $75.00 cheaper. Since I keep my vehicles for a long time and I live on the Gulf Coast it is worth the extra for the SS. I paid about $235.00 for the Volant. I made the clear cover; the new 3rd generation Volants come with an aluminum cover and an improver box.
If you buy a TBS I like the Airaid. Very good fit and finish, and has worked well for me and others. I paid about $100.00 for it.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
scr38 said:
Yoy don't need to install a TBS with the CAI and cat back, but I think it helps. The major point is that the CAI and cat back work very well togather. You won't get the full benefit of either unless you install both.
I paid $475.00 delivered for the Gibson SS system, the alumized steel system is about $75.00 cheaper. Since I keep my vehicles for a long time and I live on the Gulf Coast it is worth the extra for the SS. I paid about $235.00 for the Volant. I made the clear cover; the new 3rd generation Volants come with an aluminum cover and an improver box.
If you buy a TBS I like the Airaid. Very good fit and finish, and has worked well for me and others. I paid about $100.00 for it.
will adding all these will void the warranty?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
ggeorgie said:
will adding all these will void the warranty?
No, it will not.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I cannot fathom any scientific basis for a TBS to work with port fuel injection. With respect, I think that only works with carbureted engines.

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Armada said:
I cannot fathom any scientific basis for a TBS to work with port fuel injection. With respect, I think that only works with carbureted engines.
Its not the spacer itself that helps (on carbureted engines the added volume under the carb helped). On our engine, which is port injected, the spacer also does not aid in mixing the fuel/air mix since there is no mix in the manifold. I think the the boost in off line performance that I have measured, and many other have seen, is due to the swirling action of the air flowing past the throttle plate. A partial open plate creates a lot of turbulance in the incoming air stream. I think the swirl that the helix bore in the spacer gives to the air stream helps eliminate some of this turbulance. This is just my theory; I have no proof to back this up. But I have made back to back tests with and without the spacer, and have always got quicker 60' and 0-60 times with the spacer. I have not seen any increase in mileage with it.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
H-town..

scr38 said:
Hey bro - thanks for posting to this forum.. great knowledge - very helpful. I was wondering, I live in the Houston area - would you know of a shop that could assist me w/ the mods you list above? I am willing to pay for the work.. as I am completely inept when it comes to cars..

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
mateob said:
Hey bro - thanks for posting to this forum.. great knowledge - very helpful. I was wondering, I live in the Houston area - would you know of a shop that could assist me w/ the mods you list above? I am willing to pay for the work.. as I am completely inept when it comes to cars..
Most of this stuff you could do in a few minutes. The exhaust is most easily done at an exhaust shop like Meineke. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
mateob said:
Like Triple stated it's not hard, the exhaust can be done by most shop easily for a little fees $40-$50 is the average. As for intake and TBS it's not hard at all, if you get the stuffs and need help, give me a holler and I'll assist you.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
baseballfanz said:
Like Triple stated it's not hard, the exhaust can be done by most shop easily for a little fees $40-$50 is the average. As for intake and TBS it's not hard at all, if you get the stuffs and need help, give me a holler and I'll assist you.
Now that's cool. Kudos for you baseballfanz ;) :awesome:

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
As stated in the above posts, these items are not hard to install. I'm sure you can do the job, maybe with a little help from a friend. Look at these How To posts:

For the Volant install www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1193

For the Throttle Body Spacer install
www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1078

For the Gibson install (note that this install is on a Titan, but it is the same, just the tail pipe is made different)
www.clubtitan.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=836

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Follow the install info from the other posts and you will have no problem, with the Volant. Very easy install, they hardest part was the removal of the old parts, you need to pull up on the box to free it from the rubber grommets. Have faith there are no addtional screws and it will pop out. After that very easy. And I can say I am the farthest thing from an auto mechanic that ther is.

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
brysig228 said:
have anyone actually run a test on all diff kind of CAI? like doing comparison on each other.. which has better gain in HP?
That would be nice but no one would have the money and time to run all the CAI just to see what's best. Best we could hope for is maybe a magazine or sonething running a comparssion test. :D

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.