Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some new rims and I want to put on 275/60/20's. The prices start out reasonable for Goodyear Wranglers and Coopers and get more expensive for Michelin and even more so for Toyos. My question is will I be happy with the Wranglers at around $160 installed or more so with the Mich at $225 and $280 for the Toyos. There is only a rare chance of any off road travel and I do live in New England so I deal with snow. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
Those are pretty small for 20s in terms of tires. What rim width do you have? They will be 1/2" shorter than stock and not much wider. Any reason you don't want to get some bigger tires? 305-50-20 is pretty standard, and mine are a little bigger height wise. The 275 size is really meant for 8" rims. Most 20s come in 9 or 9.5 so there won't be much sidewall, so the rims will be easy to scuff on curbs, etc.

As for tires, I love mine. They are Toyos with lightning bolts on the sidewalls. Same tread pattern, etc. Nitto is owned by Toyo. Mine are $276. 305-50-20 are $250 each. Great for snow and look much larger. Also, more quiet and softer ride than stock. ;)

BTW, Wranglers and Coopers stink. Not much better if any than the Contis and Michelin are French tires. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rims are Boss 313 and they are 8.5" wide. I didn't really care about width as much as sidewall height. The 275/60 are 6.5" tall while yours are 6.6" and the 305/50 are only 6". I didn't want to lose too much towing capacity either. It stinks to hear that the reasonably priced tires suck. That pretty much figures.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
roadsidejustice said:
The rims are Boss 313 and they are 8.5" wide. I didn't really care about width as much as sidewall height. The 275/60 are 6.5" tall while yours are 6.6" and the 305/50 are only 6". I didn't want to lose too much towing capacity either. It stinks to hear that the reasonably priced tires suck. That pretty much figures.
You think just like me. I wanted as much sidewall as possible for cushion. But I also wanted a wider tread for traction. Last, I wanted something I could tow my Uncle's 30' Proline around with if needed. The Nittos fit the bill. Mine are LT rated and are much better than stock. Most of the good tires are fine and you won't loose towing capacity.

The 275 will fit on 8.5, but I'd still consider the larger ones. ;)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was reading some customer tire reviews last night and the Avons rated very well and a very good deal. You were right about the Goodyears...the concensus was they were crap. The Michelins had a mix bag of reviews. I didn't want to go as wide as yours mainly due to price (I have a Harley habit to support) and possiblity of decreasing gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I may sound like a broken record, but the Michelins turn the Armada into a different vehicle. I ditched my Contis at 1500 miles to get the Xterrains.

After putting 6000 miles on the Xterrains, the ride is only getting better. 0 shimmy, 0 noise. Remember, the Lexus 470 come stock with Xterrains for a reason.

I got mine aat Discount Tires who told me that if you can afford them, ALWAYS get the Michelins as they are they best riding and handling tires made. Most luxury cars sport them.

Me and another fellow here on they board are the only ones I've seen comment who actually own the Michs and we both came to the same conclusion

That said, if more off road is needed go the other way.

Good luck.

Allen

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
AtlantaAllen said:
I may sound like a broken record, but the Michelins turn the Armada into a different vehicle. I ditched my Contis at 1500 miles to get the Xterrains.

After putting 6000 miles on the Xterrains, the ride is only getting better. 0 shimmy, 0 noise. Remember, the Lexus 470 come stock with Xterrains for a reason.

I got mine aat Discount Tires who told me that if you can afford them, ALWAYS get the Michelins as they are they best riding and handling tires made. Most luxury cars sport them.

Me and another fellow here on they board are the only ones I've seen comment who actually own the Michs and we both came to the same conclusion

That said, if more off road is needed go the other way.

Good luck.

Allen
But the X terrains don't come in 20s. He wants 20s. ;)
As for mileage, I haven't seen a difference. :D
Figure if you drive 15K a year, you will have to pay an extra $80 for gas for each mile lost. You'll have to decide for yourself if the extra price justifies the size. I got my rims and tires from Discount Tires mounted for $2200. :)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it's just a matter if I want or really need the extra width. As much as it kills me that Michelin is French (I am a small part French so I don't want to hear it from the Frenchies in here) I can get them at Wal Mart for $209 installed w/lifetime everything. The Avons have a real good right up but the only place to get them is the Tire Rack and then have someone else mount them and if there was a problem you know they would blame it on the tire and that would just be a big mess.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
roadsidejustice said:
(I am a small part French so I don't want to hear it from the Frenchies in here)
Sorry to hear that.
roadsidejustice said:
I can get them at Wal Mart for $209 installed w/lifetime everything. The Avons have a real good right up but the only place to get them is the Tire Rack and then have someone else mount them and if there was a problem you know they would blame it on the tire and that would just be a big mess.
Don't let Tirerack being mail order stop you. I've had 4 sets from them. They come in a couple days and go to a tirerack installer of your choice, I had 4 to pick from just a couple miles from my house. They even had reviews on if they were good or not. There is no sales tax, which usually covers shipping, and balance and mounting was $20 a tire. Same warranties as Walmart. Just go to the installer if its installation/balance problem or go to tirerack if its a tire problem.

Also, don't forget Discount tire. This is where I got my Nittos. I threw a weight and they rebalanced all 4 wheels without batting an eye free. Good guys and they are everywhere. Similar prices to tirerack. ;)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trust me, I was sorry to hear it too. That damn grandmother of mine. Thank God for the Irish and the Scotch that makes up the rest.

I could get the Avons for $676 all said and done. The Michelins will be $880 mounted w/tax. And their tire protection plan is included which is road hazard, rotate and balance(if needed) every 6k miles. It's pretty tough to beat that. I may wait out a Michelin rebate. They seem to run them often. I appreciate all the input.

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
roadsidejustice said:
Trust me, I was sorry to hear it too. That damn grandmother of mine. Thank God for the Irish and the Scotch that makes up the rest.

I could get the Avons for $676 all said and done. The Michelins will be $880 mounted w/tax. And their tire protection plan is included which is road hazard, rotate and balance(if needed) every 6k miles. It's pretty tough to beat that. I may wait out a Michelin rebate. They seem to run them often. I appreciate all the input.
No problem. I got a pair of motorola walkie talkies with my pilot sports. And I've got a few kilt wearers in my family also. Go Clan Kirkwood! :D

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
DaveDatsun said:
I'm not thrilled with the french either. Just in case you did'nt know, Nissan is owned by Renault. Renault is a french company.
http://www.renault.com/gb/groupe/alliances_p1.htm

dave and xtoy - how bout those (french) fries

--back to the tires--
Part owned like Ford with Mazda, etc.
And its British chips or freedom fries for me thanks. ;)

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
92TripleBlack said:
Part owned like Ford with Mazda, etc.
And its British chips or freedom fries for me thanks. ;)
I'll skip the vinegar with the British chips, but otherwise I'm with you.
To be fair, nissan was floundering before the renault alliance. The direction of Carlos Ghosn, a brazilian, and renault cash have gotten nissan back on the road. They're profitable again.
Like it or not, over 30% of your Armada or my Xterra is not "nissan". Not hardware, in a business way.

dave and xtoy - and gm has saab and ford has...

·
Premium Member
4,362 Posts
It isn't working. Some of them just don't work and I don't know why. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.