Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
First ,i am very new to the armada . I have never driven one and have had one sitting on the lawn for a month or two.

But i thought these things came from Cajun Stage 1 Info (with Heavy Metal Cats option – these should be used for emission check states) . What is Jeff's catted B pipes ? Thought they came with the headers.

Also are the Heavy metal cats needed? I thought both options kept off the CEL.

And confused about the O2's So your saying no extension needed and Put the uppers in the same spot and the lowers have two options,in the B-pipe ? And they should go the farthest down?
As per Jeff, the heavy metal cats are for states with emissions checks. On their site there are a few options for cats/b-pipes

Here is my understanding:

• the OEM manifolds have the pre cats on them
  • the JBA headers do not have cats
  • the product that Jeff makes is the b-pipes. You have options as to the type of cats to get on the b-pipes (I am going with heavy metal as per above)
  • for the O2 sensors, there are two places to mount on the Cajun setup. Of the two locations, the upper will allow you to not mess with the O2 wire/harness length. They are in a different location than stock but just bolt on with no mods.
Jeff sells the kit as a package with the JBA headers and the b-pipes he makes. You could buy the headers separately but don’t think you would save any money.

I totally get your confusion and that’s why I posted the above. I too did not understand any of this and will understand more when I get everything in hand. I’ll post pics when I do.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Jeff is Jeff Nash... at Cajun.
The catted B pipes come as part of the stage 1 package.
There are several different B pipe configurations however, and you (along with Jeff) will select the ones that suit your needs. For further clarification, check his site here and give him a call. He will clarify everything for you.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
So, Pennsylvania requires yearly state safety inspections on all vehicles. If you are in a county that is near a large city, then you are required to get a smog check as well. I am in a county that does not require smog check. Just a visual inspection of brakes, lights, turn signals, exhaust system, check engine light, etc.. So I went to one of the repair chain stores in my area today. Failed inspection due to only having 2 cats. So that particular place knew the Armada should have 4 and they... noticed.

May partly be my fault though, as this was one of the places I talked to about a week ago on installing the Cajun stage 1 package. And I think the guy I talked to was unfortunately the one who did the inspection today. I'm sure he recalled the conversation when he saw an Armada with shiny new headers. Just have to try somewhere else. Probably an independent place.

That wasn't the only thing that failed me though. They also hit me on my windshield wipers. If they don't clear the windshield in 5 swipes, leaving behind streaks, that's also a fail. My wipers were not that bad, IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow in New York it's not the bad. But i live in a rural area.

I just want the CEL's to not be a problem. I have passed many inspections missing precats on a Maxima. Even passed a smog test at Nissan dealer missing precats.

They pretty much do a safety check and check for CEL's.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Oh man! I thought PA was better than NY. The advantage to my state is laziness. In all my years I’ve never given them a wheel lock key and no one ever mentioned it so I doubt they were checking the brakes let alone other things.

In NY I think the law is you have to use CARB certified exhaust emissions products which are no better and way more expensive and not available for most cars. So even if the JBA had 4 cats, it would fail due to the lack of CARB certification.

I really hope I don’t run into issues and I’m surprised no one has filed a lawsuit against Nissan for this.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Wow in New York it's not the bad. But i live in a rural area.

I just want the CEL's to not be a problem. I have passed many inspections missing precats on a Maxima. Even passed a smog test at Nissan dealer missing precats.

They pretty much do a safety check and check for CEL's.
You'll be fine with this system not popping CEL's.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Again, I think it was because I had a discussion with them about it a week before. I had called 4 or 5 places looking to get the install done and I simply forgot they were one of them.
And as I recall, it struck me that the guy had no clue what he was talking about when we were discussing the install, and then he had me on hold for a long time. When he came back on the phone, it still seemed he didn't understand what it was I wanted so I just cut him short and said thanks, never mind. Click. I think that's what did me in, because today when he called to tell me it failed, he asked me if I was the guy he talked to last week regarding the install. He got his revenge. :)

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
My brother lived in PA for a couple years and had a car with all kinds of CEL / emission problems. He said he just found a "guy" who would pass anything for ~$50. I would stay away from chains and call independent places and ask if they mind taking cash. Safety inspections don't do any good anyway, just a waste of time and money.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
My brother lived in PA for a couple years and had a car with all kinds of CEL / emission problems. He said he just found a "guy" who would pass anything for ~$50. I would stay away from chains and call independent places and ask if they mind taking cash. Safety inspections don't do any good anyway, just a waste of time and money.
Its just a money grab by the state like speeding tickets.

i would rather pay a $50 exemption fee :)

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I think I have it taken care of. A friend of a friend...

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So regarding the UpRev tune, I worked with Joe and have my final tune now on the Armada. Kudos to Joe... he is easy to work with and is quick to respond to e-mails - generally the same day. It started out with the base tune, some driving/data logging, then a customized tune, some more driving/data logging, then the finalized tune.

He'll give you 3 custom maps to begin with on the base tune - 87 Octane, Valet mode (45mph limit), and security mode (No-Run).
If you are putting UpRev on, consider what maps you want, and what order you want them in. I opted for him to remove the valet mode map, but then to also add in a 91 octane map as well as a tow-mode map

If you have an '05 or newer, you can have up to 5 maps that you can switch between using the cruise control buttons.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Can you have a fuel mileage tune. Max MPG that is.
I'm not sure. You would have to e-mail Joe at UpRev.
I remember that my SuperChips tuner had an "Economy" map you could put on, so I would imagine UpRev can provide something similar.
The issue I found with trying to maintain any gains in MPG with having aftermarket CAI, Exhaust and tune is that you easily have that additional power available to you at the tap of the pedal. It is very hard to drive in old lady mode when the throttle is so responsive.

I remember one day my buddy needed to back my Armada out of his driveway. He owns a couple of Suburbans and a Yukon so he was expecting a similar throttle response. At the time, I had the Injen CAI, Borla dual exhaust and the SuperChips 91 tune on and using 91 octane. He hit the gas and rocketed backwards with the tires spinning and squealing. It was funny! The 91 tune on these things is crazy responsive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use cruise control 95% of my driving. I am that sort of person. In the armada i will drive 60 mph drafting on the pay tolls.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I use cruise control 95% of my driving. I am that sort of person. In the armada i will drive 60 mph drafting on the pay tolls.
I agree. I do the same. But I am not talking about interstate/freeway driving.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Jeff said with the headers and the tune I would be looking at +50hp. Is the increase in power that noticeable?

How about the noise? Is it much louder?

I have a JBA catback, FloPro muffler (awesome improvement BTW, recommended by KingRJ on here), and an UQ resonator and this is as loud as I want. I know it will get louder but I don’t seem to have a choose if I want the manifolds fixed.

When I spoke with Jeff he was saying to see how it sounds and then perhaps look at an additional muffler or UQ if it’s too much.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Jeff said with the headers and the tune I would be looking at +50hp. Is the increase in power that noticeable?

I have a JBA catback, FloPro muffler (awesome improvement BTW, recommended by KingRJ on here), and an UQ resonator and this is as loud as I want. I know it will get louder but I don’t seem to have a choose if I want the manifolds fixed.

When I spoke with Jeff he was saying to see how it sounds and then perhaps look at an additional muffler or UQ if it’s too much.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #58

If you never had a tune on your vehicle prior to this, you are going to be pleasantly surprised by throttle response. ;)
Do you have a CAI? This engine needs to breathe.

Regarding sound level, it hardly changed at all on mine. Maybe just a slightly deeper tone now. I was expecting much worse.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
If you never had a tune on your vehicle prior to this, you are going to be pleasantly surprised by throttle response. ;)
Do you have a CAI? This engine needs to breathe.

Regarding sound level, it hardly changed at all on mine. Maybe just a slightly deeper tone now. I was expecting much worse.
I’ve only had the 2 degree advance but never had a tune so to speak. Looking forward to it.

That’s encouraging about the sound. The JBA catback was unbearable without the UQ so I am sensitive to drone and loudness. The FloPro muffler helped dramatically with the remaining drone.

I’ll have to take some sound meter readings before/after.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am going with stock style muffler and stock intake. Do i still need a tune. I am just doing the headers to fix the possible cracks. And if i do tune because others say it's needed.

41 - 60 of 85 Posts